• Are more overseas Chinese students choosing to return to China now even

From Rusty Wyse@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 2 10:56:27 2022
    Li Pengii
    ·
    Follow
    Former Import company owner (2000–2017)Dec 18
    Are more overseas Chinese students choosing to return to China now even if they have options?
    Yes.

Why? Overseas universities weren’t the magic bullets once thought. I’m serious. Oh sure everybody’s heard of your Harvards/Yales/Oxford type universities but Falmouth University? Sheffield Hallam? No name universities?

You take a degree like that back to China and people will literally laugh at you. I went to a good university in the UK and people here are like UCL what the fuck is that?

Add to the fact that you miss out on rubbing shoulders with people you might work for/with it had a social cost too.

Next bit is Chinese industries in the early 00s were not mature so you could be a vester you can read Douglas Coupland about vesters and mere employees.

China also has anti monopoly laws meaning that big ass corporations can’t kill smaller ones like they do in the US so new industries and competitors spring up.

The big players are still the big players in the US market of 30 years ago.

So China today isn’t the China of even 20 years ago. This is where it is happening.

The big final one is social:

The US is going through Chinese exclusion act III. Chinese visas are being denied. Chinese are portrayed as the enemy. Even in ‘liberal’ cities like New York or San Francisco hate crimes are up 500% . My open carry gun totting cousin has had to raise
    his gun at people several times this year. I was surprised when he Whatsapped me and asked if he could crash in one of my places as it looks like he’s going to make the leap back here to China as well. Obviously I said fuck no (he can go find somebody
    else to mooch off as the last cousin to do that didn’t leave for 3 months and kept trying to guilt trip me into staying longer).

A couple of my UK surgeon cousins came back too after being humiliated and suffering racism once too many times. One got sick of being told to fuck off outta my country (she’s a fucking surgeon) and the other was told she was a fucking diversity hire
    and was told to go home IIRC she’d an ENT surgeon (we don’t talk) as I don’t like her much.

Both of them came back and work in Shenzhen and Guangzhou.

My own move back was due to two attempts on my life. Here’s the funny thing I actually liked fighting and the opportunity to continually hit somebody in the face after they surrendered was glorious. But when people try to kill me in my 30s I think I’
    m too old for that shit.

Granted it was incredibly amusing to pound my attackers into dust especially as they begged me to stop. But I’m getting old I only managed to hit them for a few minutes before feeling the strain of old age.

In my youth I’d keep hitting them for 10s of minutes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)