• =?UTF-8?Q?Sherrilyn_Ifill=3A_=E2=80=98There_Is_No_Guarantee_We_Make_It?

From ltlee1@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 1 11:17:16 2022
    (Sherillyn Ifill is a law professor and president and director-counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund. She is the Legal Defense Fund's seventh president since Thurgood Marshall founded the organization in 1940.)

"I want to talk honestly about the role of white supremacy in unraveling this democracy, because I do believe that that is at the core of it. I don’t separate what happened on January 6 from the reality of the corrosive effects of white supremacy. I
    think it is all of a piece. And if we are to have a healthy democracy and notice I didn’t say restore, because we haven’t had a healthy democracy. If we are to have one, we are going to have to confront our demons, we’re going to have to be grown
    ups, we’re going to have to redefine what it means to be a responsible citizen in a healthy democracy. And I want to spend some time writing about that. And then I want to think about what is the next way I can contribute to what has been the work of
    my life, which is focusing on racial justice inequality. So I want to be a part of thinking through how to put these pieces together and I think we’re in a very dramatic moment. The time is short. There is no guarantee we make it out of this period as
    a democracy, let alone a healthy one."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/22/opinion/sherrilyn-ifill-naacp-kyle-rittenhouse.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)