• =?UTF-8?Q?Are_universities_in_mainland_China_indeed_rising_to_?= =?UTF-

From Rusty Wyse@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 18 10:27:05 2021
    Joseph Wang
    MIT '91, UTAustin Ph.D. '98Dec 6
    Are universities in mainland China indeed rising to challenge the top Western universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, MIT, etc.? If so, why aren’t the best PhD/DPhil students and faculty around the world flocking to Chinese universities?
    Qinghua and Beijing University are at the level of Harvard and MIT. I'm seeing good stuff coming out of places, like Harbin, Sun Yat-Sen University, and Shantong.

The key thing is not the top unis but to have a deep bench of middle tier universities. The other thing is that you are less interested in top students than lots of middle students.

As far as why people aren't moving in. You have more than enough local students to fill faculty positions and the culture and language are very different. And then there is a matter of building an ecosystem.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Rusty Wyse@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 31 09:47:24 2021
    Li Pengii
    ·
    Follow
    Former Import company owner (2000–2017)Tue
    Are universities in mainland China indeed rising to challenge the top Western universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, NYU, MIT, etc.? If so, why aren’t the best PhD/DPhil students and faculty around the world flocking to Chinese universities?
    It’s a bit of both.

Chinese are rising while western world? It’s declining.

Want an example? Look at all the people who claim they have Phds on Quora. I do not have a Phd as I don’t need one or have any interest I want to look deeply into. Being called Dr or here Boxsee doesn’t interest me.

Anyway I digress. Look again at how many total racists lunatics and far right wing people who claim to have Phds?

Check out this piece of garbage

Emily O’Dell was deported from China after refusing to abide by Covid19 restrictions and posting massive racist rants while in China.

She called for all Chinese Americans to be kicked out of America too.

Stunningly she has a Phd. So any h*ck can get a US Phd as they’re just degree mills these days. You can get a Phd in a box of capt’ crunch!

Seeing how so many Nazis, racists and lunatics seem to get them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rusty Wyse@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 14 09:44:37 2022
    Brett
    ·
    Follow
    B.S. in Computer Science, Washington University in St. Louis18h
    Are universities in mainland China indeed rising to challenge the top Western universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, NYU, MIT, etc.? If so, why aren’t the best PhD/DPhil students and faculty around the world flocking to Chinese universities?
    I went to Washington University in St. Louis for undergrad. While I was there, it was ranked 11 in the US. Not top university, but it's not shabby.

I'm now studying at Zhejiang University, which is rank 3 in China. Again not top university, but it's not shabby.

Oh god, the quality of students here at ZJU is just insane. The curriculum here isn't as intense, but they have such solid foundations coming in that I'm genuinely scared for the US. The only issue for Chinese students is thinking outside of the box, but
    frankly US students have deep trouble thinking inside the box.

It's just a matter of time before the reputation follows the talent. I know exactly how that looks; that's exactly where WUSTL sits in US academia as well. Until then, China is basically powerplaying under stealth. Underestimate China's brilliant
    graduates at your own peril.

Side note, the reason why there isn't a lot of flocking to Chinese universities is because most degree programs are taught in Chinese, including mine (CS masters).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05