• A question in need of an answer: Why people associate free election wit

From ltlee1@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 17 09:21:47 2021
    I had raised the issue directly and indirectly, several times. Ritualistic voting does not necessarily contribute to democratic results. More important, procedural and frequently result wise, people electing their leaders is not different from slaves
    choosing their master.

Does anyone still believe the significance of election? If so, please explain their faith.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ltlee1@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 19 14:23:45 2021
    On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 12:21:49 PM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
    I had raised the issue directly and indirectly, several times. Ritualistic voting does not necessarily contribute to democratic results. More important, procedural and frequently result wise, people electing their leaders is not different from slaves
    choosing their master.

Does anyone still believe the significance of election? If so, please explain their faith.

The defining role of election for democracy is difficult to defend. It is more a matter of faith than rationality. Yet brave souls and/or die-hard Western democracy supporters would certainly try. The following is one such attempt:

"Describing how governments earn mandates to rule, political scientists distinguish between input legitimacy (eg, an election victory), and output or performance legitimacy (ie, successful policies). China’s rulers claim to enjoy input legitimacy based
    on public consultation, overseen by local and national “people’s congresses”. "

https://www.economist.com/china/2021/12/04/china-says-it-is-more-democratic-than-america

Adequate defense or lousy defense concerning the link between election and democracy?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rusty Wyse@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 20 08:46:30 2021
    On Sunday, December 19, 2021 at 2:23:47 PM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
    On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 12:21:49 PM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
    choosing their master.

The defining role of election for democracy is difficult to defend. It is more a matter of faith than rationality. Yet brave souls and/or die-hard Western democracy supporters would certainly try. The following is one such attempt:

"Describing how governments earn mandates to rule, political scientists distinguish between input legitimacy (eg, an election victory), and output or performance legitimacy (ie, successful policies). China’s rulers claim to enjoy input legitimacy
    based on public consultation, overseen by local and national “people’s congresses”. "

https://www.economist.com/china/2021/12/04/china-says-it-is-more-democratic-than-america

Adequate defense or lousy defense concerning the link between election and democracy?

I have asked this question on soc.culture.china several times...
    How many people on the election ballot running for office do you really know? My response: None!!!

So, how could this be "democratic"???
    An election is a meaningless exercise...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ltlee1@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 22 05:23:13 2021
    On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 5:21:49 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
    choosing their master.

If the US was a kind of democracy, it was not secured by election. Rather, it was secured by the Second Amendment.
    Thomas Jefferson's famous words "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots
    and tyrants" represented widely accepted view, not extreme view.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05