• Did freedom and liberties in Hong Kong dramatically diminished a year a

From Rusty Wyse@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 17 09:13:06 2021
    Lonely Cantonese Sith Lord
    ·
    Follow
    News EditorWed
    Did freedom and liberties in Hong Kong dramatically diminished a year after stringent National Security Law enacted?
    Do you know which movie topped global box offices this year?

That’s right, it’s the Chinese war film “Battle at Lake Changjin”.

This movie also did surprisingly well here in Hong Kong. It grossed over HK$10 million, and was, at one point, the second-most popular film of the year.

The fact that local cinemas dared to show this movie at all is significant. Because back in late 2019 to early 2020, any businesses that were even remotely associated with mainland China were boycotted and harassed at best, or smashed and set on fire at
    worst. It wasn’t just local businesses who were victimised, but global enterprises as well.

Anyone, and any organisation could become guilty of “betraying Hong Kong to China” for the most arbitrary, r*tarded and trivial reasons. Things like speaking Mandarin to customers, hiring mainland employees, having branches in mainland China, being
    co-owned by people who were against the riots…etc.

As a personal anecdote, my fiancee (who was a journalist like me) is from the mainland and speaks Mandarin. At the height of the riots, she would go out there and try her best to interview people in a very heavily-accented Cantonese, very quietly, just
    in case some wankstain wanted to beef with her over her imperfect pronunciations.

On one occasion, when I was out in the field with her, some miserable old bint pointed at her and started to screech like a witch about how “there’s a CCP agent amogus”.

I grabbed her by the hand and ran as quickly as I could, before the mob could pull her hair or scratch her face - something that actually happened to a mainlander classmate of hers.

Imagine being told you couldn’t speak your own damn mother tongue in your own country because it would make you an “enemy of democracy” or whatever. That just sucks.

And if your family came to Hong Kong from the mainland less than two generations ago, you’re automatically deemed a subhuman - that’s right, I’m not a “true HKer”, according to their rhetoric.

An elderly man burnt alive for saying he supports China.

A JP Morgan employee being lynched for speaking Mandarin.

Showing a highly patriotic movie about Chinese soldiers in the Korean War? That would have been out of the question.

If western journalists think they can evoke any strong emotions in me with their apocalyptic tone regarding the National Security Law, they can forget about it. Because the worst has already happened, and I was there to suffer through it.

It was the Chinese government who returned to me and my loved ones our freedoms and liberties.

They are not our enemy.

You Freedom™ people are.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)