• Can China develop its completely indigenous chip-making system without

From Rusty Wyse@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 9 19:07:33 2021
    Annie Ruth Harrison (夏安)
    ·
    Follow
    Perpetual student of Chinese history, culture, and language Updated Nov 1
    Can China develop its completely indigenous chip-making system without relying on any foreign tech?
    Thanks for the a2a. Time and time again, China proves that if you try to exclude them that they will simply make their own version and it will be better than what we originally had.

Here’s my favorite example, but it’s one of many. Did you know that the father of the US space program and the father of the Chinese space program were the same man? It’s true. Qien Xuesen came to America to study at MIT and helped pioneer what
    would become the US space program. He was literally a genius in math and science. But he was falsely accused of Communist sympathy during the Red-scare of US history. In 1955, after five years of house arrest, and his many amazing contributions to the
    scientific community (including work on the Manhattan Project) he was allowed to return to China in exchange for some US POWs from the Korean War.

Back in China, and hurt by his treatment in the US, he devoted the rest of his life to making China’s space and nuclear programs, and making them strong. He died in 2009 and now there is a museum in his honor in Shanghai. I hope to see it one day. I
    wish he were still living so that I might apologize to him for how despicably we treated him.

Later, when the International Space Station was getting off the ground the US refused to allow China to participate, despite scientists from the UK speaking up for their Chinese counterparts. The US made it illegal for NASA to collaborate with the CNSA (
    China’s space program).

So what did China do? They didn’t bother asking to be involved after the Galileo project. They made their own space station, and they made it better. So much so that now NASA has said they hope China will make their findings available to the
    international scientific community. Oh, indeed? The hypocrisy!

And yes, they made theirs better. They successfully landed on Mars the first time. The US went to Mars but China had far less prep time and managed it on the first try. Now there’s talk of China building a base on the moon! And remember the hype last
    week over their new satellite obliterating capabilities? So now, we’re behind China! All because we were stupid twice! First in sending the best scientist we had back to China and secondly when we refused to allow them participation on the ISS.

But this question is about chips and nanotechnology, you say! Exactly. Give China a few years. A decade at the most. Then China will lead the market in nanochips. Wait and see. The people of China are amazingly resilient. I think it must be in their DNA.
    They have withstood and prospered and will continue to do so.

Time will tell if my prediction comes true. Mark it down though, my predictions are more reliable than Gordon Chang’s. I’m not being arrogant, I’m just telling the truth!

Edit: Thank you to those who pointed out that China didn’t ask to join the ISS due to previous experience with the US, and that NASA went to Mars several times. I have edited my answer accordingly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Rusty Wyse@21:1/5 to Rusty Wyse on Fri Dec 10 16:04:37 2021
    On Thursday, December 9, 2021 at 7:07:34 PM UTC-8, Rusty Wyse wrote:
    Annie Ruth Harrison (夏安)
    ·
    Follow
    Perpetual student of Chinese history, culture, and language Updated Nov 1 Can China develop its completely indigenous chip-making system without relying on any foreign tech?
    Thanks for the a2a. Time and time again, China proves that if you try to exclude them that they will simply make their own version and it will be better than what we originally had.

Here’s my favorite example, but it’s one of many. Did you know that the father of the US space program and the father of the Chinese space program were the same man? It’s true. Qien Xuesen came to America to study at MIT and helped pioneer what
    would become the US space program. He was literally a genius in math and science. But he was falsely accused of Communist sympathy during the Red-scare of US history. In 1955, after five years of house arrest, and his many amazing contributions to the
    scientific community (including work on the Manhattan Project) he was allowed to return to China in exchange for some US POWs from the Korean War.

No, he was deported back to China without his baggage. Later on, after examining the contents of his baggage, they were all his lecture notes... Later on, his Cal Tech colleagues tried to return them to him, he refused to take it.

Back in China, and hurt by his treatment in the US, he devoted the rest of his life to making China’s space and nuclear programs, and making them strong. He died in 2009 and now there is a museum in his honor in Shanghai. I hope to see it one day. I
    wish he were still living so that I might apologize to him for how despicably we treated him.

Later, when the International Space Station was getting off the ground the US refused to allow China to participate, despite scientists from the UK speaking up for their Chinese counterparts. The US made it illegal for NASA to collaborate with the CNSA
    (China’s space program).

So what did China do? They didn’t bother asking to be involved after the Galileo project. They made their own space station, and they made it better. So much so that now NASA has said they hope China will make their findings available to the
    international scientific community. Oh, indeed? The hypocrisy!

And yes, they made theirs better. They successfully landed on Mars the first time. The US went to Mars but China had far less prep time and managed it on the first try. Now there’s talk of China building a base on the moon! And remember the hype last
    week over their new satellite obliterating capabilities? So now, we’re behind China! All because we were stupid twice! First in sending the best scientist we had back to China and secondly when we refused to allow them participation on the ISS.

But this question is about chips and nanotechnology, you say! Exactly. Give China a few years. A decade at the most. Then China will lead the market in nanochips. Wait and see. The people of China are amazingly resilient. I think it must be in their
    DNA. They have withstood and prospered and will continue to do so.

Time will tell if my prediction comes true. Mark it down though, my predictions are more reliable than Gordon Chang’s. I’m not being arrogant, I’m just telling the truth!

Edit: Thank you to those who pointed out that China didn’t ask to join the ISS due to previous experience with the US, and that NASA went to Mars several times. I have edited my answer accordingly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)