• Why do some people go to top universities to study useless degrees? I h

From Rusty Wyse@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 9 18:55:08 2021
    Mike Richmond
    Studied and worked in universities and schoolsNov 26
    Why do some people go to top universities to study useless degrees?
    I have a first degree in two useless subjects, physics and philosophy.
    (A college degree is an indication you can learn and be successful in life. Your first job will lead you to your life career)

Nobody uses undergraduate theoretical physics in their job. When were you last faced with a work problem which could be solved by considering a particle in an infinite square well, or through a basic understanding of Feynman Diagrams?

The philosophy might be slightly more useful, as at least one does face ethical dilemmas and similar philosophical-shaped problems on a day-to-day basis, but still, the ability to write an essay on Kant is not a valuable tool in the workplace.

But because my first degree was from Oxford, employers were fairly confident that I was both smart and able to cope with a heavy workload.

Most degrees are not vocational. The majority of STEM graduates never use the specific skills they learned in their degree course.

If you want useful skills don’t go to university, get an apprenticeship and supplement it with vocational courses.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)