• White Phosphorus bombs dropped by IDF: Past and Present

From ltlee1@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 23 11:41:08 2023
    "A blast of abuse
    During one war I saw what I believed was white phosphorous being dropped on Gaza. I couldn't believe that an army — "the most moral army in the world," Israeli officials kept telling me — would drop white phosphorous on such a crowded place. That
    would be a war crime.

I spoke to doctors in Gaza who insisted it was white phosphorous — they could tell from the burns it caused. The Israeli army "strenuously denied" this.

I received a blast of abuse. How could I even think something so bad about the Israeli army? This would be a war crime and the Israeli army would never commit war crimes. This was typical of the hostility of foreign journalists towards Israel.

A few months after the war, when the world had moved on, Israeli officials conceded that the army had used white phosphorous but only in "limited" quantities."
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-23/gaza-most-miserable-place-israel-fear-tragedy-cannot-go-on/103002648

Present:

Video filmed on Wednesday of an Israeli strike on Gaza City port appears to show the use of white phosphorus, according to Brian Castner, a weapons investigator with Amnesty International, who reviewed the video at The Washington Post’s request.
    The Israel Defense Forces denied the weapon’s use in a statement on Friday, saying the “accusation made against the IDF regarding the use of white phosphorus in Gaza is unequivocally false. The IDF has not deployed the use of such munitions.” It
    provided no additional evidence to support this statement.

The video, which was verified by The Post, shows two artillery shells fired in quick succession toward the target. When the artillery-fired munition explodes, the white phosphorus automatically ignites in the air, creating white lines followed by a thick
    smoke."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/10/12/white-phosphorus-israel-gaza-strike-video/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)