• =?UTF-8?Q?=5BHistory=2C_stage_of_state_building_=26_Democracy=5D_Netan?

From ltlee1@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 22 05:10:34 2023
    "This summer I spent several days in Israel talking with people who were afraid for their country’s future. They were not, at that moment, focused on terrorism, Gaza, or Hamas. They feared something different: the emergence of an undemocratic Israel, a
    de facto autocracy. In January, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his justice minister had announced a package of judicial “reforms” that, taken together, would have given their coalition government the power to alter Israeli legal institutions
    to their own political benefit. Their motives were mixed. Netanyahu, who is on trial for corruption, was eager to stay out of jail. Some of his coalition partners wanted courts to stop hampering their plans to create new Israeli settlements on the West
    Bank, others to maintain military exemptions for Orthodox religious communities. All of them were interested in doing whatever it would take to stay in power, without the hindrance of an independent judiciary.
    After the surprise Hamas attack on southern Israel earlier this month, I listened again to the tapes of those conversations. In almost every one of them, there was a warning note that I didn’t pay enough attention to at the time. When I asked people
    why they had sacrificed their time to join a protest movement, they told me it was because they feared Israel could become not just undemocratic but unrecognizable, unwelcoming to them and their families. But they also talked about a deeper fear: that
    Israel could cease to exist at all. The deep, angry divides in Israeli politics—divides that are religious and cultural, but that were also deliberately created by Netanyahu and his extremist allies for their political and personal benefit—weren’t
    just a problem for some liberal or secular Israelis. The people I met believed the polarization of Israel was an existential risk for everybody."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/10/israel-democracy-judicial-reform-netanyahu-hamas-attacks/675713/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ltlee1@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 24 05:46:22 2023
    On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 12:10:36 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
    "This summer I spent several days in Israel talking with people who were afraid for their country’s future. They were not, at that moment, focused on terrorism, Gaza, or Hamas. They feared something different: the emergence of an undemocratic Israel,
    a de facto autocracy. In January, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his justice minister had announced a package of judicial “reforms” that, taken together, would have given their coalition government the power to alter Israeli legal institutions
    to their own political benefit. Their motives were mixed. Netanyahu, who is on trial for corruption, was eager to stay out of jail. Some of his coalition partners wanted courts to stop hampering their plans to create new Israeli settlements on the West
    Bank, others to maintain military exemptions for Orthodox religious communities. All of them were interested in doing whatever it would take to stay in power, without the hindrance of an independent judiciary.
    After the surprise Hamas attack on southern Israel earlier this month, I listened again to the tapes of those conversations. In almost every one of them, there was a warning note that I didn’t pay enough attention to at the time. When I asked people
    why they had sacrificed their time to join a protest movement, they told me it was because they feared Israel could become not just undemocratic but unrecognizable, unwelcoming to them and their families. But they also talked about a deeper fear: that
    Israel could cease to exist at all. The deep, angry divides in Israeli politics—divides that are religious and cultural, but that were also deliberately created by Netanyahu and his extremist allies for their political and personal benefit—weren’t
    just a problem for some liberal or secular Israelis. The people I met believed the polarization of Israel was an existential risk for everybody."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/10/israel-democracy-judicial-reform-netanyahu-hamas-attacks/675713/

Another clear example on the ill-defined nature and danger of Western style democracy.

The author of the article, Anne Applebaum considers Netanyahu transforming Israel into an autocracy.
    But Netanyahu was elected through well recognized Western democratic procedure. Netanyahu's supporters
    also agree with Netanyahu concerning the necessity of Netanyahu's judicial reforms.

The article also highlights the polarization and existential risk of Western style democracy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ltlee1@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 13 09:58:59 2023
    On Tuesday, October 24, 2023 at 12:46:25 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
    On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 12:10:36 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
    "This summer I spent several days in Israel talking with people who were afraid for their country’s future. They were not, at that moment, focused on terrorism, Gaza, or Hamas. They feared something different: the emergence of an undemocratic
    Israel, a de facto autocracy. In January, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his justice minister had announced a package of judicial “reforms” that, taken together, would have given their coalition government the power to alter Israeli legal
    institutions to their own political benefit. Their motives were mixed. Netanyahu, who is on trial for corruption, was eager to stay out of jail. Some of his coalition partners wanted courts to stop hampering their plans to create new Israeli settlements
    on the West Bank, others to maintain military exemptions for Orthodox religious communities. All of them were interested in doing whatever it would take to stay in power, without the hindrance of an independent judiciary.
    After the surprise Hamas attack on southern Israel earlier this month, I listened again to the tapes of those conversations. In almost every one of them, there was a warning note that I didn’t pay enough attention to at the time. When I asked
    people why they had sacrificed their time to join a protest movement, they told me it was because they feared Israel could become not just undemocratic but unrecognizable, unwelcoming to them and their families. But they also talked about a deeper fear:
    that Israel could cease to exist at all. The deep, angry divides in Israeli politics—divides that are religious and cultural, but that were also deliberately created by Netanyahu and his extremist allies for their political and personal benefit—weren
    t just a problem for some liberal or secular Israelis. The people I met believed the polarization of Israel was an existential risk for everybody."

Another clear example on the ill-defined nature and danger of Western style democracy.

The author of the article, Anne Applebaum considers Netanyahu transforming Israel into an autocracy.
    But Netanyahu was elected through well recognized Western democratic procedure. Netanyahu's supporters
    also agree with Netanyahu concerning the necessity of Netanyahu's judicial reforms.

The article also highlights the polarization and existential risk of Western style democracy.

Netanyahu is the longest serving leader of Israel. And of course he was duly elected and duly re-elected by
    the citizens in rounds of election. Hence, polarization as well as transforming the government in autocracy
    are not bugs but built in features of Western democracy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05