• Spoken Arabic

From chakir.mahjoubi@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 8 08:21:29 2016
    I Received an invitation me to participate to this transcription project with a very disgusting rate.

We are about to start a transcription project for Arabic (Maghreb Morocco) language and we were wondering if you could be interested in working with us.

Please see below the task overview:
    Start date: immediately

Workload: Flexible (preferably at least 18-25h/week)
    Task description: The goal of the task is to transcribe and categorize recorded audio in Arabic Morocco. You will need to write down what is heard into written text by following language specific guidelines and select one of available labels to describe
    the audio nature. An accuracy of 95% should be achieved.

Rate: $0,05 /utterance

Estimated average throughput: 180 utterances/h
    Project duration: from 4 to 8 weeks

Note: I inform that this is a Spam.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From chakir.mahjoubi@gmail.com@21:1/5 to R. Wallace on Thu Sep 8 08:31:27 2016
    On Thursday, 27 August 1992 16:31:10 UTC+1, R. Wallace wrote:
    I have a question. I read classical Arabic (mostly mathematical and philosophical texts) and travel quite widely in the Middle East. I think
    it is about time I really got on top of some version of spoken Arabic.
    The question is, which one?

The countries I regularly visit are Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Palestine,
    Morocco, Algieria, Tunisia, and Libya. Obviously, this covers a wide
    spectrum of vernaculars. Which would be the best bet to choose? Which
    would be most widely understood? Which would be most acceptable to
    speakers of other vernaculars? You will understand that I am talking
    about ordinary colloquial Arabic, not the standard Arabic of newspapers
    and the other media.

I would be quite interested to hear what Arabic speakers think about the different colloquial versions of the language. As I am sure you know, in English, some dialects have a higher prestige than others; some are
    regarded by outsiders as rather comical; others are virtually incomprehensible to any who doesn't speak them (like my own - I
    originate in the North East of England, and had to learn Standard
    English almost as a second language!) Is this sort of thing true about Arabic?

Thank you for the help!

Richard Wallace.

Hi Richard,

I think that it is very interesting to study spoken dialects (vernaculars). The choice of which one you want to study depends on your orientations. Moroccan darija is very different from all other vernaculars. Moroccan dialect has borrowed a lot of other
    languages, especially French and Spanish and it is completely different. A speaker of Moroccan dialect can understand all the other Arabic dialects; however, Arabs cannot understand Moroccan dialects and this is a great advantages to Us the the Moroccans.
    I hope you all the best in your language learning. Please do not hesitate to write me back should you need any help.

Chakir
    www.my-word.co.uk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)