• Recollecting SK. Kamal's attempt of bank robbery...

From moeen1000@gmail.com@21:1/5 to moee...@gmail.com on Tue Aug 8 21:55:27 2017
    On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 12:53:26 AM UTC-4, moee...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, August 22, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Shamim A. Khandekar wrote:
    It was in Feb. of 1972 when I had my first and last interaction with Sk.Kamal. It was on the basketball court beside Mohammad Ali Boxing
    Stadium at the old Dhaka Stadium. I was leading a basketball team from the National Coaching Centre. The other teams were also practising at that court to get famialiarized with it, as the tournaments were played there. One of the teams was the Spurs, at that time a reputable team among the basketball fans. Sk. Kamal, the son of BB was also a member of that team. As such, that team at that time had a special look. I found him arriving
    at the court with his friends in a fancy sports car.

Our team, though, belonged to a Govt. organization; we were fortunate
    to have a new basketball. That drew the attention of the other players. As a leader of the team, I was authorized to use it only during our team participation. The scenario at the court was a little confusing. All the teams did not have a fair opportunity to practice. As a new team, we had to leave the court after a little warm up. Therefore, we were not happy with the deal that we recieved. Then, I noticed that Sk. Kamal was asking his friends to ask me whether I could let their team use our new ball. When his friends made the request to me I had to remind them of our team policy. After a little bit of arguing and finding my stubborness, they left unhappily.

Then, in 1974, I was a 2nd yr. student of Dhaka Medical College. In the morning, I arrived there to attend my classes. I heard the news that Sk. Kamal had been hospitalized at the DMCH with a bullet injury. He narrowly escaped death, as the bullet lacerated his neck vessels. The story going around for the cause of this bullet injury was that, in the middle of the night, he and his friends were in a microbus and they went to commit a
    bank robbery at the Motijheel Commercial area. The plain-clothed security forces found them suspicious and challenged the microbus. The microbus
    was chased for sometime by the security officers and was fired upon when
    it refused to stop.

I am sure the Home Ministry has removed this whole incident from the record at BB's instructions. This incident must have made BB realise that if the neck vessels of SkK could be repaired by the surgeons of DMCH, then his gallbladder surgery was also possible in BD. At the time he made the trip to UK for his surgery, there was a famine-like condition throughout BD. The cry of the beggars "...ammago!!.. bhater phanta amar jonno rayykkha dien..." may not have reached the Road No.32 of Dhanmondi Res. area but it does remind me of those shameful days. BB out of euphoria
    tried to prove his allegiance to his masters in New Delhi by opening the borders of BD. It was during this period, Indira Congress for the first time in 30yrs could win in the West Bengal elections.

As my two kids get older and become inquisitive about the BD history, should I have to hide the fact that, there was a time in our history when our head of the state and a bank robber slept under the same roof !!!

We may never know what did really happen. But lack of clear explanation about the injury by BB and Co. is suspect. So is explanation like this ( which does not hold water or even somewhat laughable) : "An adverse condition was prevailing in the country
    at that moment. He was patrolling the bank area in microbus with some friends. A vehicle carrying policemen was also patrolling the same area. People from both the vehicles suspected one another as robbers. They started chasing one another," Dr Farash
    Uddin said.

This discussion would be of little or no significance if the family Kamal comes from hasn't been shaping our nation to this day. The idea of gathering knowing of this family's past, with clarity, good and bad, is a good one to put things in perspective
    and hence help BD people decide how much of a shaping of he nation by this family is appropriate. And this approach should not be applied differently to any similarly influential family, e.g Zia/Khaleda. Our lack of putting things in perspective based on
    facts would be as flawed.

Don't get me wrong. With pragmatism in mind, I have cheering the opposition in every election since the fall of Ershad, even though I detest a lot of these families while giving them credit where it's due, because we don't have a better choice yet.

Here is the link of suspect Alibi: http://www.bssnews.net/newsDetails.php?cat=0&id=433328$date=2014-08-30&dateCurrent=2014-09-03

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From tafrin09@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 5 08:08:29 2019
    On Sunday, August 22, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Shamim A. Khandekar wrote: Please tell me why they did not stop their micro bus when the security force asked them to. Only the criminals will try to escape from the police force. I respect Bongo Bondhu and I am proud for what he did for our country. It is a shame that the country
    could not protect their Father of the nation.

At the same time it was true that Sheikh Kamal was not the best of his father's sons. That Sheikh Kamal should have been brought to justice, rather not had been protected by his father, The President of the country. As a father Sheikh Mujib might try to
    protect his Son, but a righteous ruler is above these relationships.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)