• Role of youngest daughter in family

From roxrunner@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 2 05:56:25 2019
    Create Your Own Free Member Forum

No that's not a Mexican tradition. Remember that the novel is a fictional tale and uses magical realism to take normal things and shift them to the fantastic (or fantasy). So, the reality that women's roles were fairly prescribed (marry, have children,
    maintain the home, cook...) at the time is taken to a real extreme in the novel (Tita being unable to marry, ever, so she can take care of mama elena, which was a family tradition, not a Mexican one) and so her emotional struggles trigger her ability to
    pass her emotions to others via her food. So, the fact that women's roles were fairly prescribed is accurate, the rule that the youngest daughter could never marry is inaccurate. Many times, children, and frequently daughters, had to care for the
    parents, it did not mean "in lieu of having your own family."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From sara.marie.hursey@gmail.com@21:1/5 to elp...@my-dejanews.com on Wed Apr 22 21:28:48 2020
    She's literally asking this question so she can learn. What is wrong with you? How would she know this if she didn't grow up in the culture or know anyone from it. And this is a movie made in Mexico so how would she know if its accurate or not without
    checking, which is literally what she's doing to be more informed, and you're shaming her? Honestly I'm really sorry for your kids. I wish they had a more patient parent who didn't physically hit them.

On Wednesday, July 15, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, elp...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
    In article <6ogbnk$i49$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
    deaka@my-dejanews.com wrote:

I will slap my 8 years old daughter if she would make me that question. Now I understand why many caucasians expected Rambo and Superman to take part in the soccer game. You need to develop your intelectual abilities..

Hi,

I'm curious about something I read in "Como Agua Para Chocolate."

In the book, it is the youngest daughter's role to take care of her
    mother until the day she dies, and because of that, she is unable to
    marry until she fulfills her duty to her mother.

Is this an accurate portrayal of the youngest daughter's role in
    Mexican culture?

Please reply to my e-mail address (dpolitician@yahoo.com)

-----== Posted via Deja News, The Leader in Internet Discussion ==----- http://www.dejanews.com/rg_mkgrp.xp Create Your Own Free Member Forum

-----== Posted via Deja News, The Leader in Internet Discussion ==----- http://www.dejanews.com/rg_mkgrp.xp Create Your Own Free Member Forum

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)