• Ethiopia came from Galla

From bahunegn@gmail.com@21:1/5 to KIT...@whio.lincoln.ac.nz on Mon Oct 12 12:06:56 2015
    Thank you for your elaboration about where the word Ethiopia comes from. I have also read an article that was written at Tadias. Here is what it say, even though I knew before that the word Ethiopia is driven from on of the forfather of Ethiopian
    children named Ethiopis. Ethiopis means in Geez, is exactly the same as Utopia except Utopia related to the "imagination" world but Ethiopis defined with "reality".

And one of our most favorite definitions of Ethiopia comes from our own Poet Laureate. "The Ethiopia of rich history is the heart of Africa's civilization," he wrote. "She is the greatest example of Africa's pride. Ethiopia means peace. The word '
    Ethiopia' emanates from a connection of three old black Egyptian words, Et, Op and Bia, meaning truth and peace, up and upper, country and land. Et-Op-Bia is land of upper truth or land of higher peace." No one has put it more eloquently. Tsegaye Gabre-
    Medhin is a revered soul who brought out the best of his homeland - her stunning peaks and valleys, her triumphs and struggles, and always reminding us to rise and grow into our best selves. - See more at: http://www.tadias.com/08/23/2011/remembering-a-
    poet-laureate-tsegaye-gabre-medhins-75th-birthday-anniversary/#sthash.SErFyn3M.dpuf

On Monday, October 6, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, KIT...@whio.lincoln.ac.nz wrote:
    tibebu@hotmail.com wrote:

Abba Tesfa Sellassie's prejudice and distortions regarding ancient historical facts can be observed since he is writing from the Tigrean ethnic group point of view favoring them and forgetting to mention the
    true origin of the name of Ethiopia.

The name Ethiopia came from the root "Ititubiya", which is a
    Galla(Oromo) word for "The land of honey and milk". Indeed, Ethiopia is
    the land of milk and honey.
    =====================================================================
    Tibebu,
    At the risk of being labelled Eurocentric, I will disagree here.
    "Ititubiya" does not translate to "The land of milk and honey". "Ititu"
    is an Oromifa word for yoghurt. "Biya" translates to country. The
    Oromifa word for honey is 'damaa', which does not appear in
    "Ititubiya". If at all your assertion is true, Ethiopia would be "The
    land of yoghurt". I will grant you "The land of milk", as yoghurt comes
    from milk. Don't know about the honey bit though.
    Cheers,
    smk (Abba barumsa)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)