• Seven Biblical Reasons For Fasting--by Pastor Benny Hinn

From messias.langa2@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 18 08:13:35 2019
    Em quarta-feira, 30 de agosto de 2000 09:00:00 UTC+2, Nwa Jesu escreveu:
    In Scripture there are unique fasts for distinctive purposes. Some are for one day, others for three days, yet others for three weeks or even forty days and nights. The seven types of fasts in this teaching are not given as a rigid formula we must
    always copy, but as examples of how God works.

1. Fasting in a crisis.

In the Old Testament there is a fascinating story of Esther who became deeply troubled when she learned that Haman, the prime minister of the land, was determined to eliminate the Jewish race from Babylon. Haman plotted to kill Esther’s uncle,
    Mordecai (a Jew), by publicly hanging him from the gallows.

Esther said to Mordecai, “Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me; and neither eat nor drink for three days, night or day: I also and my maiden will fast likewise…and if I perish, I perish!” (Esther 4:16)

As a result of the three day fast the crisis was solved and Mordecai’s life was spared (Esther 7:10).

2. Fasting for revelation.

The second fast described in Scripture was a twenty-one day partial fast so that God would reveal the future. The prophet Daniel writes, “In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my
    mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.” (Daniel 10:2-3)

The purpose became clear when the angel Gabriel appeared to Daniel and said, “Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days.” (Daniel 10:14)

Daniel’s twenty-one day partial fast was for revelation. God desired to pull back the curtain and unveil what would happen in the coming days.

3. Fasting for re-examination.

In the Old Testament, God asked His people to set aside one day each year - a Day of Atonement - to take an introspective look at their spiritual state. “Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be a
    holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire to the Lord.” (Leviticus 23:27)

How did the psalmist humble his soul? With fasting. He wrote, “But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.” (Psalms 35:13)

4. Fasting for deliverance.

The book of Judges contains a dramatic story of Israel engaged in a battle with the tribe of Benjamin for a sin they had committed. God told His people to fight against this one tribe. In two contests Israel lost over 40,000 men (Judges 20:18-25).
    However, there was something missing in their prayer prior to the first battles. They had not fasted. Scripture records what happened next. “Then all the children of Israel…came unto the house of God, and wept, and sat there before the Lord, and
    fasted that day until even.” (Judges 20:26)

On their first two attempts, the Israelites tried to fight the battle by themselves - and lost. When they fasted, the Lord won the battle for them! (Judges 20:35).

5. Fasting for freedom from judgment.

God’s principles regarding keeping His ordinances are universal. There are examples in Scripture where even the sinful were spared judgment because they followed the Lord’s command. King Ahab, the husband of Jezebel, is an example. God let His
    displeasure against this evil man be known. Then, “And it came to pass, when Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth, and went softly. And the word of the Lord came to Elijah
    the Tishbite, saying, ‘Seest thou how Ahab humbleth himself before Me? because he humbleth himself before Me, I will not bring the evil in his days…’”(1 Kings 21:27-29)

Fasting lifted judgment from the life of Ahab.

6. Fasting for healing.

Nutritional doctors are discovering that fasting itself is a cleansing and healing process because it helps eliminate toxins from the body.

In the Bible we read of an Amalekite who went without food for three days and was healed. “And they found an Egyptian in the field, and brought him to David, and gave him bread, and he did eat; and they made him drink water; And they gave him a piece
    of a cake of figs, and two clusters of raisins: and when he had eaten, his spirit came again to him: for he had eaten no bread, nor drunk any water, three days and three nights.” (1 Samuel 30:11-12)

It would be easy to conclude that it was the food that made him well. However, I believe that fasting contributed to his health.

7. Fasting for dominion.

Biblical fasts were directed by the Lord for the purpose of establishing God’s dominion. The first Adam lost dominion when he ate what was forbidden, and the Second Adam gained it when He did not eat. Jesus was “…led by the Spirit into the
    wilderness, Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days He did eat nothing…” (Luke 4:1-2)

We must realize it was not necessary for Jesus, as the Son of God, to fast in order to have God-given power in His life. Yet, as a man, He knew that He needed to put His flesh under subjection, in order that the might of God through Him might be
    manifested. After His fasting experience in the wilderness, “...Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee…” (Luke 4:14) He was able to declare, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me…” (Luke 4:18)

Please use the “For Further Study” section as a guide to this important topic. I am convinced more than ever that fasting should be part of your normal Christian walk. It will strengthen your relationship with the Lord, the presence of God will
    become closer, and your prayer life will take on added power.

Seven examples from scripture for fasting.

1. Fasting in a crisis.

Esther’s fast saved Mordecai’s life. Esther 4:16; 7:10. Paul fasted after his dramatic conversion. Acts 9:9.

2. Fasting for revelation.

God revealed the future after Daniel fasted. Daniel 10:2-14. Fasting reveals the Lord’s vision. Daniel 9:3,23.

3. Fasting for re-examination.

Set aside specific days for the Lord. Leviticus 23:27. Fasting brings humility to your soul. Psalms 35:13.

4. Fasting for deliverance.

After a fast, Israel won a major battle. Judges 20:18-35. Fasting delivered Daniel from the lion’s den. Daniel 6:18-22.

5. Fasting for freedom from judgment.

Judgment was lifted from Ahab after fasting. 1 Kings 21:27-29.

6. Fasting for healing.

An Egyptian was restored to health after fasting. 1 Samuel 30:11-12. Following fasting and prayer, Jesus began His ministry of miracles. Luke 4.

7. Fasting for dominion.

Moses received God’s law after fasting. Exodus 24:18; 34:28. Fasting brought the power of the Spirit to Jesus. Luke 4:14, 18.

Scriptural guidance concerning fasting. Be certain your fasting is God-directed. Luke 18:11-12. We must bring our bodies under subjection. 1 Corinthians 9:27. Are you fasting for the Lord? Zechariah 7:5. Fasting should be an integral part of ministry.
    Acts 13:2. We must fast for the needs of others. Ezra 10:6.

Understand the true meaning of fasting. Isaiah 58:3-7. Fasting leads to repentance. Joel 1:13.

Our fasting should be joyful. Zechariah 8:19. Worship and fasting brings Spiritual guidance. Acts 13:2-3. Fasting accompanies our supplication. 2 Samuel 12:16. God hears those who fast and pray. Nehemiah 1:3-11. A fasting woman foretold of Christ’s
    redemption. Luke 2:38. Fasting must be for the right purpose. Acts 23:12-13. Prayer and fasting brings deliverance from demons. Mark 9:29. Fasting is the key to answers from God. Acts 10:30.

___________________________________________________________________________ Visit http://www.visto.com/info, your free web-based communications center. Visto.com. Life on the Dot.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)