• i guess it's really dead

From greenaum@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 7 00:56:32 2021
    The real genius of Usenet is the killfile. No news reader software should be missing it, it's a vital part of how free speech works. Netscape's news reader didn't have a killfile,
    but that was 25 years ago! No idea about it now! Plus now it's Mozilla and I'm pretty sure there's no newsreader in it anymore and...

The genius of the killfile was, we had free speech, but nobody was obliged to listen to you! Anyone could say what they wanted, and anyone who didn't like it could just disappear
    them into their personal killfile, and would never see that person's posts again! Or you could put words in, so any posts about Shetland Ponies would disappear, and you wouldn't
    even know they'd been there.

Perfect free speech. Perfect filtering. So if somebody doesn't like what they see, it's only ever their own fault for not filtering it! Everyone responsible and empowered with
    their mouths AND ears, metaphorically. Usenet didn't need the silly system of janitors, who are inevitably weenies, and the pettier the power, the pettier the person. We didn't
    need it! Everyone is their own janny. Usenet worked that out in 1973 or whenever, Internet web-based forums (WHAT is the POINT of those when we have this!?) struggle with stupid
    wars and the like. Over here, if you don't killfile someone, you've given them permission to annoy you, so you don't go complaining about it cos you'd look like a childish idiot.

Usenet got rid of the childish idiot grudge-holding nothing-better-to-do transgender jannie with no life apart from trying to boss people about on a computer! Solved the problem
    before it even existed! GEEENIUS!

Anyway sorry, I'll leave you resting in peace 7 years ago, soz mate. Have nice ones!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

if love is a drug, then, ideally, it's a healing, healthful drug... it's
    kind of like prozac is supposed to work (without the sexual side
    effects and long-term damage to the brain and psyche)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)