• Ortho illuminator led conversion

From RustyHinge@21:1/5 to Montgomery McCormick on Thu Jan 7 12:19:04 2016
    On 25/06/15 20:19, Montgomery McCormick wrote:
    On Thursday, 25 June 2015 10:47:11 UTC-7, Montgomery McCormick wrote:
    I have an AO Ortho illuminator that uses a very hot projector-type bulb and would like to convert to a high-output led bulb. I know, of course, that I'll have to source a power supply to replace the line power it currently (play on words not intended)
    uses. That bulb sits in a vertical single-contact bayonet socket that is adjustable to center the filament. I intend to use my microscope (a Spencer Research Number 5 with apochromatic objectives and NA 1.40 achromatic condenser or dark m phase) for
    photomicrography and visual observation.

My question: can someone recommend an led bulb that has the proper orientation to fit my illuminator, color temperature of 4000K, and enough brightness for photomicrography and is dimmable for visual work? I'd like to keep the existing socket if
    possible.

Thanks

BTW: I am using my Spencer Research Number 3 'scope until I can source an achromatic condenser specific to the Number 5, the one for the 3 not being tall enough to reach the top surface of the stage. Any help in that regard will be greatly appreciated.

No replies?

I would investigate the possibility of fitting a powerful LED into the
    base of a suitable bulb - breaking the globe if necessary. Wiring the
    power source and attenuator into the socket should be a doddle.

You can get LEDs and (probably) a schematic from Maplin, Farnell, RS
    here in the UK - but they all have an online presence if you can't
    source what you want locally.

--
    Rusty Hinge
    To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer and the BOFH.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)