• Highly viscous Immersion Medium with Water refraction index

From holtackersr@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 1 06:19:33 2016
    Dear colleagues,

I am looking for an immersion medium that is roughly 100x more viscous than water, but with the same refraction index (RI) as water (1.33).
    The viscosity matches a 90% glycerol solution at rtp, though the RI of this mixture is 1.42.
    We were able to lower the RI by using a PEG 45 solution, which has an RI of 1.39 at the used viscosity.

I would be very pleased if anyone could give me a tip in what direction to look for an immersion medium with the desired properties.

Kind regards,
    René

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter@21:1/5 to holta...@gmail.com on Sat Nov 5 07:03:07 2016
    Try thickening distilled water to required viscosity with methyl cellulose. Few % should do you.

Peter

On Tuesday, November 1, 2016 at 1:19:35 PM UTC, holta...@gmail.com wrote:
    Dear colleagues,

I am looking for an immersion medium that is roughly 100x more viscous than water, but with the same refraction index (RI) as water (1.33).
    The viscosity matches a 90% glycerol solution at rtp, though the RI of this mixture is 1.42.
    We were able to lower the RI by using a PEG 45 solution, which has an RI of 1.39 at the used viscosity.

I would be very pleased if anyone could give me a tip in what direction to look for an immersion medium with the desired properties.

Kind regards,
    René

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)