• Microscope help for my mycologist!

From jaclynmadair@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 3 09:53:38 2016
    My boyfriend is an amateur mycologist who vocalized earlier in the year his interest in owning a microscope for the purposes of his studies, mostly for fun. Thinking how great of a Christmas gift this would make - really hoping to get some assistance as
    to what type of microscope I should be looking for so I can start to save up for one!
    Did some reading that between 500 and 1000x is good, can anyone make affordable yet quality selections?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From RustyHinge@21:1/5 to jaclynmadair@gmail.com on Wed Oct 12 12:49:43 2016
    On 03/10/16 17:53, jaclynmadair@gmail.com wrote:

My boyfriend is an amateur mycologist who vocalized earlier in the year his interest in owning a microscope for the purposes of his studies, mostly for fun. Thinking how great of a Christmas gift this would make - really hoping to get some assistance
    as to what type of microscope I should be looking for so I can start to save up for one!
    Did some reading that between 500 and 1000x is good, can anyone make affordable yet quality selections?

True - to look at spores, which is often necessary in order to identify
    some mushrooms with certainty, you need 1,000 x magnification.

Ideally, you should get a microscope with Kohler illumination, but they
    are rather uncheap.

I *might* have a microscope to dispose of (if the antique shop I was
    trading it in hasn't sold it). I'll check.

It's a Watson binocular from just after the war. It doesn't have the
    lenses for x 1,000, but these are standard, and can be obtained easily. However, it doesn't have Kohler illumination: just a mirror beneath the
    table.

Where are you? In UK would be fine, otherwise freight would give you a fright...

--
    Rusty Hinge
    To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer and the BOFH.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)