• Statistic problem with a hypercube ?

From shirishsriv@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 12 04:37:55 2018
    when i read even i was confused that do we need to calculate the volume of boundary region or volume with in the boundary region.But if you read the question carefully you will get the gist that it is asking volume of boundary region.Therefore we need to
    subtract the volume of interior region from the total volume.

Hope that helps.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Rich Ulrich@21:1/5 to shirishsriv@gmail.com on Sun May 13 03:21:49 2018
    On Sat, 12 May 2018 04:37:55 -0700 (PDT), shirishsriv@gmail.com wrote:

when i read even i was confused that do we need to calculate the volume of boundary region or volume with in the boundary region.But if you read the question carefully you will get the gist that it is asking volume of boundary region.Therefore we need
    to subtract the volume of interior region from the total volume.

Hope that helps.

The original problem, in 2014, was answered more completely
    back in 2014. See --

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.stat.consult/Mi8bAxSQzjs

The original --

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 16:01:16 -0800 (PST), varinsacha@yahoo.fr wrote:

Hi,

Sorry but I am reading a book (The Elements of Statistical Learning) and there is this question. I really don't understand what to do.
    So any help would be very appreciated.

A hypercube with side length 1 in d dimensions is defined to be the set of points (x1, x2, ..., xd) such that 0? xj ?1 for all j = 1, 2, ..., d. Define the boundary region of the hypercube to be the set of all points such that there exists a j for which
    0? xj ?.05 or .95? xj ?1 (i.e., it is the set of all points that have at least one dimension in the most extreme 10% of possible values). What proportion of the volume of a hypercube of dimension 50 is in the boundary region ?

--
    Rich Ulrich

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)