• gemini in south australia

From robertpattison56@gmail.com@21:1/5 to edfa...@gmail.com on Wed Jun 27 15:50:53 2018
    On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 9:20:55 AM UTC+10, edfa...@gmail.com wrote:
    I remember that gemini capsule. I saw it at whyalla airport as a kid in the 60s.
    Ed Farrell

I made enquiries at the Johnson Space Centre when I visited in May 2018. Apparently it was the Gemini 10 capsule that I saw as a young boy at the Brisbane showground Pavillion in the 60's and it was the real deal.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From m.d.danks@gmail.com@21:1/5 to ian walker on Thu Nov 22 02:03:32 2018
    On Sunday, 11 July 1999 17:00:00 UTC+10, ian walker wrote:
    i remember as a small child visiting whyalla airport in south australia,
    with my dad, to see a gemini spacecraft on a promo tour... i was around 6 or 7 so that puts the time around '66-69. is there anywhere i could find out more details of this spacecraft and the tour it was on?

It's a long time since you posted this but I was doing a search as I remember a Gemini capsule in a display that came to my town in the early 70's. It was very much as Andrew Burke from Auckland described. I would have been 8 or 9 at the time so wasn't
    all up to the history other than the Apollo landings. Gemini stuck in my mind ever since. I am interested in finding more info about it, so according to posts here it was Aldrin's suit. I recall someone pointed out a mannequin in a space suit in the left
    seat.

Are you still following this and did you find out any other information?

Cheers

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From m.d.danks@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Andrew Burke on Thu Nov 22 02:13:25 2018
    On Sunday, 11 July 1999 17:00:00 UTC+10, Andrew Burke wrote:
    Here in Auckland at the museum of transport and technology there was a
    Gemini spacecraft on display in the mid seventies. I believe it was Gemini 10. The right-hand hatch had been removed so you could see inside. The
    whole thing was covered in shaped pieces of clear plastic but I could just squeeze my hand in by the heat shield and touch a piece of history. It
    looked so tiny without the adapter sections and the nose. Next to it was an incredible model of the whole spacecraft, about four feet long, that was detailed right down to the lowliest switch.
    Inside a glass cabinet was a space suit that belonged to Buzz Aldrin. I
    think it was from Gemini 12. It was pretty scruffy so I imagine it was one
    of his training suits. I always thought that one day I would go back and properly photograph everything but in 1985 or so, New Zealand declared
    itself nuclear free and banned visits by US military ships and planes and within days US Information Agency (I think that was the department) swooped in and took back all the artifacts.
    What's the saying? You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?
    -
    Andrew Burke
    kaizen@wave.co.nz
    andrewburke@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/3160/start.htm

Colin Burgess <cburgess@chilli.net.au> wrote in article <931687592.777399@smaug.dragon.net.au>...
    Colin Burgess wrote:

Can't say I can recall this happening, and if so, it didn't come to
    Sydney.
    As an avid space fan back then I certainly wouldn't have missed this for
    the
    world. I do remember lining up to see the "Friendship 7" spacecraft on a whistle-stop tour around Australia. It was the genuine article, but I
    also
    remember going into Sydney to see what was allegedly another Mercury spacecraft together with hundreds of other people, only to see a
    full-scale
    model, complete with escape tower! I was angry enough (I was only about
    16)
    to seek out one of the promo people who, very patronisingly, told me it
    was
    a real Mercury spacecraft that had been into space. When I asked why the phony escape tower was still attached, and there were no signs of
    re-entry,
    he said :"They painted it before it came over from America!" I'm
    wondering
    if you might have fallen victim to this same bit of nonsense.

ian walker wrote in message <3787e9f3.0@pink.one.net.au>...
    i remember as a small child visiting whyalla airport in south australia, >with my dad, to see a gemini spacecraft on a promo tour... i was around
    or
    7 so that puts the time around '66-69. is there anywhere i could find
    out
    more details of this spacecraft and the tour it was on?

I remember a display in a truck that came to my town in the early 70's that matched what you discribed. This is in Australia so it may have been on a world tour.
    I am just looking for some info on it now, I know the original posts are way old now but I was wondering if you had found anything else out since.
    Do you recall a mannequin in a space suit in the left seat? I recall it diffucult to see from the open right hatch at the angle it was mounted.

If you are still following I'd be happy to hear some more.

Cheers
    MDD

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From m.d.danks@gmail.com@21:1/5 to robertpa...@gmail.com on Thu Nov 22 02:24:13 2018
    On Thursday, 28 June 2018 08:50:54 UTC+10, robertpa...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 9:20:55 AM UTC+10, edfa...@gmail.com wrote:
    I remember that gemini capsule. I saw it at whyalla airport as a kid in the 60s.
    Ed Farrell

I made enquiries at the Johnson Space Centre when I visited in May 2018. Apparently it was the Gemini 10 capsule that I saw as a young boy at the Brisbane showground Pavillion in the 60's and it was the real deal.

I remember seeing what has been described but in the early 70's, do you remember what year as I am wonering if it was the same one?

Cheers
    MDD

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From yapyap66@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 14 06:47:21 2019
    About 1973 a Gemini space capsule visited my hometown in Moree Northern New South Wales I was five or six years old.
    Been looking for information on this spacecraft myself for a long time haven't been able to find anything on the internet or newspaper archives
    it would be great to find more information about it

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From yapyap66@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 14 07:44:17 2019
  • From dbenedicthughes@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 22 04:36:41 2019
    You are correct NASA sent a fitted out semi-trailer that travelled around most Australian cities in the late 1968-9 as a thank you for Australia’s assistance with Gemini-Apollo missions and for our part in the operation of the Deep Space Tracking
    Network located in Parks N.S.W.
    The trailer contained one of the launched man Gemini capsules along with a space suit worn by the Gemini Astronauts plus other items of interest, I was 8 and still have the photos of its visit to Campbelltown N.S.W.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From chrisgibbins20@gmail.com@21:1/5 to ian walker on Mon Feb 10 13:53:19 2020
    On Sunday, July 11, 1999 at 10:00:00 AM UTC+3, ian walker wrote:
    i remember as a small child visiting whyalla airport in south australia,
    with my dad, to see a gemini spacecraft on a promo tour... i was around 6 or 7 so that puts the time around '66-69. is there anywhere i could find out more details of this spacecraft and the tour it was on?

I was there too

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Big Robbie@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 31 04:52:22 2021
    Ed Farrell

yep I remember those days, it was about late 1960, may have been early 1961. Gemini 10. It was at the Brisbane Showgrounds but it spent a day on a low loader in the Coles shopping centre carpark of the bayside suburb of Wynnum in Florence Street. I
    went to see it there. I have somewhat of a photographic memory and if I try hard enough I can even give you a date. But the thing that struck me was it was burnt black, and I thought "huh!!, didn't they bother to clean it??" ( hahah I was only 4 and a
    half years old then )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Greg (Strider) Moore@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 1 13:12:12 2021
    "Big Robbie" wrote in message news:56a1ca76-9308-447d-8fcb-c55f6e068658n@googlegroups.com...

I remember that gemini capsule. I saw it at whyalla airport as a kid in
    the 60s.
    Ed Farrell
    I made enquiries at the Johnson Space Centre when I visited in May 2018.
    Apparently it was the Gemini 10 capsule that I saw as a young boy at the
    Brisbane showground Pavillion in the 60's and it was the real deal.

yep I remember those days, it was about late 1960, may have been early
    1961. Gemini 10. It was at the Brisbane Showgrounds but it spent a day on
    a low loader in the Coles shopping centre carpark of the bayside suburb of >Wynnum in Florence Street. I went to see it there. I have somewhat of a >photographic memory and if I try hard enough I can even give you a date.
    But the thing that struck me was it was burnt black, and I thought "huh!!, >didn't they bother to clean it??" ( hahah I was only 4 and a half years old >then )

Couldn't have been 1960. Gemini's first flight was 1964 (uncrewed Gemini 1)
    and 10 didn't fly until 1966.

--
    Greg D. Moore http://greenmountainsoftware.wordpress.com/
    CEO QuiCR: Quick, Crowdsourced Responses. http://www.quicr.net
    IT Disaster Response - https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Response-Lessons-Learned-Field/dp/1484221834/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quentin Hall@21:1/5 to Big Robbie on Fri Sep 16 21:13:27 2022
    On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 7:52:23 PM UTC+8, Big Robbie wrote:
    Ed Farrell
    yep I remember those days, it was about late 1960, may have been early 1961. Gemini 10. It was at the Brisbane Showgrounds but it spent a day on a low loader in the Coles shopping centre carpark of the bayside suburb of Wynnum in Florence Street. I
    went to see it there. I have somewhat of a photographic memory and if I try hard enough I can even give you a date. But the thing that struck me was it was burnt black, and I thought "huh!!, didn't they bother to clean it??" ( hahah I was only 4 and a
    half years old then )

Dear Ed,

You are NOT going mad and your memory was SPOT ON.

It was Gemini 10 and I've spent nearly 15 years trying to chase this one down. It was on display outside the Perth Town Hall on the 21st August 1967 (Ref: "The West Australian Newspaper, 21 August 1967, Page 7") after being trucked down from Kalgoorlie (
    having flown the year before with none other than one Michael Collins being co-pilot - he of course being on the Apollo 11 crew a few years later). Dare I presume it was trucked over from Adelaide over the Nullarbor thus it being in Kalgoorlie BEFORE it
    came to Perth. It went on "north bound" to Geraldton and Carnarvon and perhaps some other country areas. Carnarvon of course, was picked as a destination due to the Space Tracking Station up there (still is actually but not sure how "used" it is nowadays)

7000 people saw it in one day in Perth (when Perth's population was a heady 500,000 people) - myself included (well my mother took me - I was 6 years of age). The crowd pushed us through so quickly and I was bitterly disappointed - must have shown as my
    mother and I rejoined the queue again. It was "School Holidays" time (August school holidays - back when we had "3 school terms" a year not the "4 Semesters" they have now).

The Gemini Capsule now resides in a Space Museum, in Hutchinson, Kansas (just N/W of Wichita, Kansas, USA) after being in Norway for many, many years.

Hope that helps.

Quentin
    Perth, Western Australia

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From A3D Sound@21:1/5 to Quentin Hall on Tue Oct 31 00:43:31 2023
    On Saturday, September 17, 2022 at 2:13:28 PM UTC+10, Quentin Hall wrote:
    On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 7:52:23 PM UTC+8, Big Robbie wrote:
    Ed Farrell
    half years old then )
    Dear Ed,

You are NOT going mad and your memory was SPOT ON.

It was Gemini 10 and I've spent nearly 15 years trying to chase this one down. It was on display outside the Perth Town Hall on the 21st August 1967 (Ref: "The West Australian Newspaper, 21 August 1967, Page 7") after being trucked down from Kalgoorlie
    (having flown the year before with none other than one Michael Collins being co-pilot - he of course being on the Apollo 11 crew a few years later). Dare I presume it was trucked over from Adelaide over the Nullarbor thus it being in Kalgoorlie BEFORE it
    came to Perth. It went on "north bound" to Geraldton and Carnarvon and perhaps some other country areas. Carnarvon of course, was picked as a destination due to the Space Tracking Station up there (still is actually but not sure how "used" it is nowadays)

7000 people saw it in one day in Perth (when Perth's population was a heady 500,000 people) - myself included (well my mother took me - I was 6 years of age). The crowd pushed us through so quickly and I was bitterly disappointed - must have shown as
    my mother and I rejoined the queue again. It was "School Holidays" time (August school holidays - back when we had "3 school terms" a year not the "4 Semesters" they have now).

The Gemini Capsule now resides in a Space Museum, in Hutchinson, Kansas (just N/W of Wichita, Kansas, USA) after being in Norway for many, many years.

Hope that helps.

Quentin
    Perth, Western Australia
    I SAW IT IN tOOWOOMBA 1968/9 AT ACRA DEALER SHIP.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05