• Science careers forum at aaas.org closed

From Antonio Huerta@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 12 05:01:59 2019
    I went to see how our old pal Dave Jensen going in his science career forum off the Science magazine, and I found it was closed in December 2018. Dave said Science did not want to spend money to integrate the forum into the new website. It looks to be
    true, but cursory. In the past few years, I noticed there were too few users on the forum. The low attendance was the reason they did not see the need to continue. I do not know what was the need, either everyone got jobs and no acute need for career
    advice, or Dave's autocratic style. It does not matter.

Dave moved the forum to biocareers.com.

I must confess I got some (developmental) benefit from posting on his forum -- over a decade ago. I also created a science careers forum on the Intranet of my employer where I implemented some of the features I gleaned from Dave's forum on AAAS.

If anyone from the old s.r.c. troops is present here... Amen.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Old Pif@21:1/5 to Antonio Huerta on Tue Apr 30 20:35:27 2019
    On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:02:00 AM UTC-4, Antonio Huerta wrote:

If anyone from the old s.r.c. troops is present here... Amen.

Just looked here out of curiosity and here we are ... The Old Friend ...

The "sad" news about Dave has to be expected. Nobody needs platitudes and besides there is no such thing as a career in science. Does not exist as a phenomenon.

With that, how things are at your end of the globe?

Old (even older than he was) Pif

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Antonio Huerta@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 18 01:42:19 2019
    Ah, Old Pif, I see you are still alive and kicking.A month ago, I wrote an email to Art Sowers, and he told me he was getting old and sick, he lost the tooth, his wife broke the leg etc.

I visited the US on work couple of years ago, and that seemed to be a so harsh country. I wanted to move to the US two decades ago, and even a decade ago because I needed all that movement, jazz and excitement. But I feel old now, I actually feel content
    living in Australia. I cannot imagine going from Australia's quietness to the harshness of the US.

I am still working for the same employer for the second decade.... and still in the same position. They pay lip service to science excellence but they do not do it. Oh well, I care less about it now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Old Pif@21:1/5 to Antonio Huerta on Fri Nov 15 20:09:27 2019
    On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 4:42:20 AM UTC-4, Antonio Huerta wrote:

Ah, Old Pif, I see you are still alive and kicking.

I am indeed. Not sure "kicking" means the same things in Australia that it does in US ...

Anyway ... Art is very glad to receive a message from the old friends. I usually write him around Christmas. I have very nostalgic feeling about SRC. It was a good place. Especially compared to the modern way of socializing when people just throw
    statements into cyberspace without even hope to get a personalized response. Voice(s) in the wilderness so to speak.

The US has a lot of quiet places but they are very expensive. Quietness is a very valuable commodity in the modern world. If you find one of such places you have won ...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Antonio Huerta@21:1/5 to Old Pif on Sun Aug 16 00:42:28 2020
    On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 2:39:29 PM UTC+10:30, Old Pif wrote:
    On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 4:42:20 AM UTC-4, Antonio Huerta wrote:

Ah, Old Pif, I see you are still alive and kicking.

I am indeed. Not sure "kicking" means the same things in Australia that it does in US ...

Anyway ... Art is very glad to receive a message from the old friends. I usually write him around Christmas. I have very nostalgic feeling about SRC. It was a good place. Especially compared to the modern way of socializing when people just throw
    statements into cyberspace without even hope to get a personalized response. Voice(s) in the wilderness so to speak.

The US has a lot of quiet places but they are very expensive. Quietness is a very valuable commodity in the modern world. If you find one of such places you have won ...

So, you say you have "very nostalgic feeling about SRC". Are you in a good place now ? Are you happy how things turned out for you ? Do you have something to look forward in the rest of your life, both professionally and personally ?

I recently turned 50. In the past two decades, I am employed by a govt lab. From one side, the politics is rife, and I am at the very bottom of the pile. From the other side, I got a stable paycheck (which was a dream for me 20 years ago). On the whole,
    I would say the things are average, or slightly better than average for me. I believe that my life in immigration turned out slightly better, or better than if I stayed in my homeland.

Now I have passed the crest of my professional life, and of the physical life, and am slipping down. It is time to reflect back on my past, and draw conclusions.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Old Pif@21:1/5 to Antonio Huerta on Fri Jan 1 00:29:12 2021
    On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 3:42:30 AM UTC-4, Antonio Huerta wrote:
    So, you say you have "very nostalgic feeling about SRC".

Uhu '... Don't you agree? It was lively, personal and very diverse.
    All variety of themes. I regret it has collapsed ....

Are you in a good place now ? Are you happy how things turned out for you ? Do you have something to look forward in the rest of your life, both professionally and >personally ?

Mmm ... It is a reasonable place. It could be better and it could be worse. Professionally, I would hope, the retirement brings certain freedom. I am planning to write a book that summarizes the years of practical work. Personally .... I love to see my
    wife at the breakfast table ...

I recently turned 50. In the past two decades, I am employed by a govt lab. From one side, the politics is rife, and I am at the very bottom of the pile. From the other side, I >got a stable paycheck (which was a dream for me 20 years ago). On the
    whole, I would say the things are average, or slightly better than average for me. I believe that my >life in immigration turned out slightly better, or better than if I stayed in my homeland.

Now I have passed the crest of my professional life, and of the physical life, and am slipping down. It is time to reflect back on my past, and draw conclusions.

You are on the way to spiritual freedom. Stable paycheck I mean .... Take the opportunity .... Not everyone is that lucky.

Old Pif

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05