• Proper way to melt nylon

From tworth@gm.kewaunee.k12.wi.us@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 8 09:41:54 2015
    Hi boardjunkie,

I use nylon tip jazz sticks, which may be the equivalent to 9A or 11a...they are really thin! But I have found a little trick to prevent those super slim sticks from breaking; I simply wrap duct tape around the necks of the sticks just below the nylon
    tip. What is cool about this is, it prevents the stick from breaking so easily, and, it softens the sound of the crash, so it is not so harsh! But, if you want that harsh crash, you adapt to crashing with the lower (thicker )end of the stick.
    As for the nylon tip idea, have you come up with the best way to coat the tips. I have some hornet sticks coming on the way, and they don't carry nylon tips. I want them coated. Thought about taking old broken nylon tips, melting them down, and twirling
    tips into the melted nylon, but in light of these posts, it sounds like that is impossible! Any luck with other ideas?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Rick Silling@21:1/5 to boardjunkie on Sun Jan 9 14:29:54 2022
    On Tuesday, July 4, 2006 at 10:52:33 AM UTC-4, boardjunkie wrote:
    Fishing for information on do's and don'ts when melting nylon. What I
    need to do is liquify a relatively small amount to dip wood drumstick
    tips in to keep them from chipping. I figure weed eater line is a cheap source for the nylon. Is this something I'd want to attempt to do over
    a gas stove in a junk pan? I'm not sure if it will bubble and get messy......molten nylon is not my idea of snappy attire. So.....any
    advise?
    Just melt the damn stuff & be careful not to set it ablaze. Drip it into a form of desired shape & hey people, ever heard of common sense ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rick Silling@21:1/5 to Rick Silling on Sun Jan 9 14:47:10 2022
    On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 5:43:18 PM UTC-5, Rick Silling wrote:
    On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 12:41:57 PM UTC-5, two...@gm.kewaunee.k12.wi.us wrote:
    Hi boardjunkie,

I use nylon tip jazz sticks, which may be the equivalent to 9A or 11a...they are really thin! But I have found a little trick to prevent those super slim sticks from breaking; I simply wrap duct tape around the necks of the sticks just below the
    nylon tip. What is cool about this is, it prevents the stick from breaking so easily, and, it softens the sound of the crash, so it is not so harsh! But, if you want that harsh crash, you adapt to crashing with the lower (thicker )end of the stick.
    As for the nylon tip idea, have you come up with the best way to coat the tips. I have some hornet sticks coming on the way, and they don't carry nylon tips. I want them coated. Thought about taking old broken nylon tips, melting them down, and
    twirling tips into the melted nylon, but in light of these posts, it sounds like that is impossible! Any luck with other ideas?
    I

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rick Silling@21:1/5 to two...@gm.kewaunee.k12.wi.us on Sun Jan 9 14:43:17 2022
    On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 12:41:57 PM UTC-5, two...@gm.kewaunee.k12.wi.us wrote:
    Hi boardjunkie,

I use nylon tip jazz sticks, which may be the equivalent to 9A or 11a...they are really thin! But I have found a little trick to prevent those super slim sticks from breaking; I simply wrap duct tape around the necks of the sticks just below the nylon
    tip. What is cool about this is, it prevents the stick from breaking so easily, and, it softens the sound of the crash, so it is not so harsh! But, if you want that harsh crash, you adapt to crashing with the lower (thicker )end of the stick.
    As for the nylon tip idea, have you come up with the best way to coat the tips. I have some hornet sticks coming on the way, and they don't carry nylon tips. I want them coated. Thought about taking old broken nylon tips, melting them down, and
    twirling tips into the melted nylon, but in light of these posts, it sounds like that is impossible! Any luck with other ideas?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rick Silling@21:1/5 to Rick Silling on Sun Jan 9 14:49:34 2022
    On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 5:43:18 PM UTC-5, Rick Silling wrote:
    Hi boardjunkie,

I use nylon tip jazz sticks, which may be the equivalent to 9A or 11a...they are really thin! But I have found a little trick to prevent those super slim sticks from breaking; I simply wrap duct tape around the necks of the sticks just below the
    nylon tip. What is cool about this is, it prevents the stick from breaking so easily, and, it softens the sound of the crash, so it is not so harsh! But, if you want that harsh crash, you adapt to crashing with the lower (thicker )end of the stick.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05