• Google Groups shutting down for good

    From The Starmaker@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 14 20:39:46 2023
    XPost: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh, sci.physics

    by now most of yous heard
    Google Groups will shut down for good...

    feb 2024

    --
    The Starmaker -- To question the unquestionable, ask the unaskable,
    to think the unthinkable, mention the unmentionable, say the unsayable,
    and challenge the unchallengeable.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mike Fontenot@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 15 17:12:52 2023
    What role does Google Groups play? It seems to me to just be a place
    where UseNet stuff gets archived. Is it anything more than that? Is it
    the only way some people access UseNet? (I get Usenet via "news.eternal-september", but I suspect there are other ways).

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tom Roberts@21:1/5 to Mike Fontenot on Fri Dec 15 21:22:55 2023
    On 12/15/23 6:12 PM, Mike Fontenot wrote:

    What role does Google Groups play?  It seems to me to just be a place
    where UseNet stuff gets archived.  Is it anything more than that?

    Yes. My company has about a dozen private Google Groups. They are VERY
    useful, nay essential to our business.

    Tom Roberts

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mike Fontenot@21:1/5 to Tom Roberts on Sat Dec 16 07:32:46 2023
    On 12/15/23 8:22 PM, Tom Roberts wrote:

    Yes. My company has about a dozen private Google Groups. They are VERY useful, nay essential to our business.


    Can you talk about your company a little? The last time I talked to you
    about your employment, you were working for Fermi Labs, near Chicago.
    (And before that, you worked for Bell Labs at Indian Hill north of
    Chicago, and I worked for Bell Labs Denver then). I stayed with Bell
    Labs until I retired in 1998 when I turned 55 years old, after Bell Labs (actually its children) had deteriorated so badly. Bell Labs HAS
    survived to some extent as Nokia, based in Finland but also with some of
    the U.S. locations.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Volney@21:1/5 to JanPB on Sun Dec 17 13:11:09 2023
    On 12/17/2023 12:08 PM, JanPB wrote:
    On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 8:39:34 PM UTC-8, The Starmaker wrote:
    by now most of yous heard
    Google Groups will shut down for good...

    Well, it was fun while it lasted (I started posting to Usenet in 1985).

    --
    Jan

    Why do you say that? There are many newsreaders and NNTP servers in
    existence for you to use. Since you were posting in 1985, long before
    there was any such a thing as Google Groups (or even Google), you know this.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From whodat@21:1/5 to Volney on Sun Dec 17 12:59:47 2023
    On 12/17/2023 12:11 PM, Volney wrote:
    On 12/17/2023 12:08 PM, JanPB wrote:
    On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 8:39:34 PM UTC-8, The Starmaker wrote: >>> by now most of yous heard
    Google Groups will shut down for good...

    Well, it was fun while it lasted (I started posting to Usenet in 1985).

    --
    Jan

    Why do you say that? There are many newsreaders and NNTP servers in
    existence for you to use. Since you were posting in 1985, long before
    there was any such a thing as Google Groups (or even Google), you know
    this.

    Way fewer groups, with a "net" prefix. I didn't have a "pager" back then
    so it was a battle to try reading when my incoming stream was 300 baud.

    Somehow I managed.

    BTW, there always were some idiots.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From J. J. Lodder@21:1/5 to Tom Roberts on Mon Dec 18 11:10:33 2023
    Tom Roberts <tjoberts137@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    On 12/15/23 6:12 PM, Mike Fontenot wrote:

    What role does Google Groups play? It seems to me to just be a place
    where UseNet stuff gets archived. Is it anything more than that?

    Yes. My company has about a dozen private Google Groups. They are VERY useful, nay essential to our business.

    No real problem, just set up your own NNTP server.
    (preferably on a dedicated machine)
    Software and knowledge is readily available.

    Probaby what you should have done to begin with,
    instead of relying on Google.
    Why trust Google with anything at all?

    Jan

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From J. J. Lodder@21:1/5 to JanPB on Mon Dec 18 21:16:53 2023
    JanPB <filmart@gmail.com> wrote:

    On Sunday, December 17, 2023 at 12:28:37?PM UTC-8, The Starmaker wrote:
    Volney wrote:

    On 12/17/2023 12:08 PM, JanPB wrote:
    On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 8:39:34?PM UTC-8, The Starmaker wrote:
    by now most of yous heard
    Google Groups will shut down for good...

    Well, it was fun while it lasted (I started posting to Usenet in 1985).

    --
    Jan

    Why do you say that? There are many newsreaders and NNTP servers in existence for you to use. Since you were posting in 1985, long before there was any such a thing as Google Groups (or even Google), you know this.
    Jan is loosing it...

    Jan thinks GoogleGroups is the King of Newsgroups servers. The King is dead.

    You completely misunderstood what I wrote.

    BTW, back then I used readnews and then rn (a major improvement!).
    There was no spam and no idiots. The good old days.

    But it didn't take long till sci.physics.* groups
    were taken over by the nutters, to the point
    of becoming completely unusable for physics discussions.

    Jan

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tom Roberts@21:1/5 to J. J. Lodder on Mon Dec 18 21:23:48 2023
    On 12/18/23 4:10 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
    Tom Roberts <tjoberts137@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    My company has about a dozen private Google Groups. They are VERY
    useful, nay essential to our business.

    No real problem, just set up your own NNTP server.

    Why would I bother do that???? Google Groups will continue to support
    all of our groups. We have received no notice that this support will be
    ending.

    Why trust Google with anything at all?

    Because they provide our email and other services.

    Tom Roberts

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Volney@21:1/5 to Jim Pennino on Tue Dec 19 00:21:35 2023
    On 12/18/2023 3:18 PM, Jim Pennino wrote:
    In sci.physics Eddie Pitel Belotelov <eeti@ddiiield.ii> wrote:
    Jim Pennino wrote:

    In sci.physics Lonnie Lohno <llno@loonehln.ni> wrote:
    Jim Pennino wrote:

    it had, a search on deja was a search on usenet already. Plus
    interface for read and post. Also, in 1985 he must have been using >>>>>> Commodore with magnetic tapes. No usenet, no www etc. You guys are >>>>>> making shit up like manure of a cow.

    Before the late 80's USENET was distributed vi UUCP over phone lines. >>>>> Most of the USENET nodes were mainframes of one sort or another and
    you had to associated with government, academia, or government
    contracting to get access.

    yes, but it was directly to a BBS, then going to something called
    𝗳𝗶𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗲𝘁. I doubt it was in 1985.

    Garbled nonsense.

    The basic structure of how articles pass from server to server and to
    clients has not changed, only the underlying physical transfer has
    changed from modems over phone lines to direct TCP/IP connections.

    this imbecile doesn't know what fidonet is and how BBS and the wire
    telephone works. You fucking imbecile. You are wasting our time.

    Yet another Dunning–Kruger moron posting from an invalid domain...

    Same Dunning–Kruger moron, the nymshifting russian troll.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUCP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_News_Transfer_Protocol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FidoNet

    FYI FidoNet is little used these days outside of Russia and former
    republics of the USSR.


    No wonder the nymshifter is so confused. In 卐ru⚡︎⚡︎ia卐, FidoNet and UUCP
    are state of the art.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From J. J. Lodder@21:1/5 to Tom Roberts on Tue Dec 19 23:18:38 2023
    Tom Roberts <tjoberts137@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    On 12/18/23 4:10 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
    Tom Roberts <tjoberts137@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    My company has about a dozen private Google Groups. They are VERY
    useful, nay essential to our business.

    No real problem, just set up your own NNTP server.

    Why would I bother do that???? Google Groups will continue to support
    all of our groups. We have received no notice that this support will be ending.

    You are an optimist.
    If they were essential to my business I would want to have full control.

    Why trust Google with anything at all?

    Because they provide our email and other services.

    Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst,

    Jan

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Volney@21:1/5 to J. J. Lodder on Wed Dec 20 02:25:16 2023
    On 12/19/2023 5:18 PM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
    Tom Roberts <tjoberts137@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    On 12/18/23 4:10 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
    Tom Roberts <tjoberts137@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    My company has about a dozen private Google Groups. They are VERY
    useful, nay essential to our business.

    No real problem, just set up your own NNTP server.

    Why would I bother do that???? Google Groups will continue to support
    all of our groups. We have received no notice that this support will be
    ending.

    You are an optimist.
    If they were essential to my business I would want to have full control.

    Why trust Google with anything at all?

    Because they provide our email and other services.

    Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst,

    These days, companies outsource everything. Payroll, email, video
    conferencing, and their servers with all their beloved data / secrets
    are all in colocation sites.

    I don't know what will come from all of this, but it won't be pretty.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)