• The Pion

From patdolan@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 1 00:21:18 2023
    Thanks to the Legion-provided cosmic ray flux vs. altitude figures, we conclude that the iconic Frisch-Smith muon data is easily explained as the simple ratio of the muon production within a 2,600 foot atmospheric layer above Cambridge Massachusetts, to
    the muon production within 2600 foot atmospheric layer above the summit of Mt. Washington.

But what about the pion? First, watch Double-Talk Don Lincoln explain the situation in this short Fermilab video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txv7V_nY2eg

His hubris at the end is precious. I still need to get him on record vis-á-vis the BBP.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From patdolan@21:1/5 to patdolan on Fri Sep 1 00:40:21 2023
    On Friday, September 1, 2023 at 12:21:21 AM UTC-7, patdolan wrote:
    Thanks to the Legion-provided cosmic ray flux vs. altitude figures, we conclude that the iconic Frisch-Smith muon data is easily explained as the simple ratio of the muon production within a 2,600 foot atmospheric layer above Cambridge Massachusetts,
    to the muon production within 2600 foot atmospheric layer above the summit of Mt. Washington.

But what about the pion? First, watch Double-Talk Don Lincoln explain the situation in this short Fermilab video

His hubris at the end is precious. I still need to get him on record vis-á-vis the BBP.
    15 or 20 years ago I was stuck in Chicago for a day so I drove up to Champagne to see Fermi Lab. I walk right into the Cathedral-esque main building and just wandered around. No on stopped me. Full of my own hubris, I picked out what I considered to
    be the most egregiously relativistic poster one on of the bulletin boards, took it down, rolled it up and stole it. I wonder if I still got that thing. I'll hang it next to the LIGO Nobel when I steal that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mitchrae3323@gmail.com@21:1/5 to patdolan on Fri Sep 1 10:00:16 2023
    On Friday, September 1, 2023 at 12:40:23 AM UTC-7, patdolan wrote:
    Thanks to the Legion-provided cosmic ray flux vs. altitude figures, we conclude that the iconic Frisch-Smith muon data is easily explained as the simple ratio of the muon production within a 2,600 foot atmospheric layer above Cambridge Massachusetts,
    to the muon production within 2600 foot atmospheric layer above the summit of Mt. Washington.

15 or 20 years ago I was stuck in Chicago for a day so I drove up to Champagne to see Fermi Lab. I walk right into the Cathedral-esque main building and just wandered around. No on stopped me. Full of my own hubris, I picked out what I considered to be
    the most egregiously relativistic poster one on of the bulletin boards, took it down, rolled it up and stole it. I wonder if I still got that thing. I'll hang it next to the LIGO Nobel when I steal that.

How do we measure a particle in the upper atmosphere?
    Where is our measuring device?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From patdolan@21:1/5 to mitchr...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 1 10:20:33 2023
    On Friday, September 1, 2023 at 10:00:18 AM UTC-7, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, September 1, 2023 at 12:40:23 AM UTC-7, patdolan wrote:
    Thanks to the Legion-provided cosmic ray flux vs. altitude figures, we conclude that the iconic Frisch-Smith muon data is easily explained as the simple ratio of the muon production within a 2,600 foot atmospheric layer above Cambridge
    Massachusetts, to the muon production within 2600 foot atmospheric layer above the summit of Mt. Washington.

15 or 20 years ago I was stuck in Chicago for a day so I drove up to Champagne to see Fermi Lab. I walk right into the Cathedral-esque main building and just wandered around. No on stopped me. Full of my own hubris, I picked out what I considered to
    be the most egregiously relativistic poster one on of the bulletin boards, took it down, rolled it up and stole it. I wonder if I still got that thing. I'll hang it next to the LIGO Nobel when I steal that.
    How do we measure a particle in the upper atmosphere?
    Where is our measuring device?
    Fixed wing and lighter than air observation platforms. These have very limited/no ability to determine initial velocities of detected particles, their charge or their rest mass.

The cloud chambers that I have made for party entertainment demonstrate sufficient flux and resolution to determine large tracks from all the other small tracks. Radium tracks from a nearby sample were a third type of track that was distinguishable from
    the other two, as I recall. Large tracks are very, very rare. Never saw a hockey stick collision track.

This device commands immediate and intense attention from average party-goers. But only for 1 minute at the most. Observation honeybee hives work for about 5 minutes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Starmaker@21:1/5 to patdolan on Sat Sep 2 10:18:13 2023
    patdolan wrote:

How do you pronounce Pion? Is it pee on?

--
    The Starmaker -- To question the unquestionable, ask the unaskable,
    to think the unthinkable, mention the unmentionable, say the unsayable,
    and challenge the unchallengeable.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05