• The second law

From Luigi Fortunati@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 20 08:07:56 2023
    In my animation
    https://www.geogebra.org/m/abg3ewgy
    if we click on the "Start" button, we see the "net" force 10 which accelerates the mass of the elementary particle A towards the right (according to the second law F=ma) and no force directed towards the left.

So far I have nothing to ask because everything is clear.

Then we select the checkbox to add particle B.

In this case, there is no longer the single particle (A) but there is the body AB formed by the set of the two particles A and B, so that the mass doubles and the acceleration is halved.

The force F=10 acts only on particle A which transmits the push to particle B.

In this way, an action and reaction relationship is established between A and B: particle A exerts a blue force towards the right on particle B and particle B reacts with a red force towards the left on particle A.

Question 1: Is it correct to say that these two blue and red forces are worth 5 and –5 respectively?

Question 2: Is it correct to say that a "net" force (5) to the right acts on particle A (blue force 10 minus red force 5) and a net blue force (5) acts to the right on particle B?

Luigi Fortunati

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Richard Livingston@21:1/5 to Luigi Fortunati on Mon Nov 20 16:10:20 2023
    On Monday, November 20, 2023 at 2:08:02 AM UTC-6, Luigi Fortunati wrote:
    In my animation
    https://www.geogebra.org/m/abg3ewgy
    if we click on the "Start" button, we see the "net" force 10 which accelerates the mass of the elementary particle A towards the right (according to the second law F=ma) and no force directed towards the left.

In this case, there is no longer the single particle (A) but there is the body AB formed by the set of the two particles A and B, so that the mass doubles and the acceleration is halved.

In this way, an action and reaction relationship is established between A and B: particle A exerts a blue force towards the right on particle B and particle B reacts with a red force towards the left on particle A.

Question 1: Is it correct to say that these two blue and red forces are worth 5 and –5 respectively?

Question 2: Is it correct to say that a "net" force (5) to the right acts on particle A (blue force 10 minus red force 5) and a net blue force (5) acts to the right on particle B?

Luigi Fortunati

Answer is yes to both questions, assuming both particles have the same mass.

Rich L.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Luigi Fortunati@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 21 08:59:23 2023
    Richard Livingston il 20/11/2023 17:10:20 ha scritto:
    In my animation https://www.geogebra.org/m/abg3ewgy if we click on the "Start" button, we see the "net" force 10 which accelerates the mass of the elementary particle A towards the right (according to the second law F=ma) and no force directed towards
    the left.

Answer is yes to both questions, assuming both particles have the same mass.

Thank you.

Therefore, this red force –5 exists and is the inertial reaction of particle B against anyone who tries to change its condition of rest.

I ask you: what difference is there between this red force –5 of my animation and the one that Newton (talking about inertia) describes like this: "a body exerts this force (inertia) only when another force, impressed upon it, endeavors to change its
    condition"?

Luigi Fortunati

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05