• Question on Energy of emr from a range of frequencies

From Lou@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 30 10:06:42 2022
    We are all familiar with the equations to quantify energy of EMR from a
    single wavelength or frequency. But I have been unable to find any
    reference on how to calculate energy from a *range* of wavelengths or frequencies. In particular with reference to Doppler shifted emr For
    instance: Can one calculate what difference in energy , if any, an
    emitted source of emr between 100-200nm would have if it was redshifted
    to 200-400nm?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Richard Livingston@21:1/5 to Lou on Mon May 30 11:41:10 2022
    On Monday, May 30, 2022 at 4:06:45 AM UTC-5, Lou wrote:
    We are all familiar with the equations to quantify energy of EMR from a single wavelength or frequency. But I have been unable to find any
    reference on how to calculate energy from a *range* of wavelengths or frequencies. In particular with reference to Doppler shifted emr For instance: Can one calculate what difference in energy , if any, an
    emitted source of emr between 100-200nm would have if it was redshifted
    to 200-400nm?

At first I thought the answer was obvious, but then I thought about it a little more and realized I needed to think about it more carefully.

It is easiest to think of this quantum mechanically, I think. The number of photons does not change, but their rate is reduced proportional to the frequency. This gives a factor of 1/2 to the rate of photons. In addition each photon is now half the frequency, so the energy per photon is also
    reduced by 1/2. So the total power in the band 200-400nm would be 1/4
    the power in the 100-200nm band prior to being red shifted.

Doing this calculation in classical EM would require transforming the EM
    tensor F^{\mu\nu} via the Lorentz transform to get the correct EM field amplitudes, from which the energy density can be calculated. The QM
    argument is much simpler.

Rich L.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)