• Is time reversal of emission and absorption of radiation by a point

From John McAndrew@21:1/5 to Jos Bergervoet on Fri Nov 1 17:45:44 2019
    On Friday, November 1, 2019 at 8:25:18 PM UTC, Jos Bergervoet wrote:
    On 19/10/26 11:57 PM, john mcandrew wrote:

Suppose a charge is accelerated by an external field, hence radiating irreversible energy-momentum given by the Lienard-Wiechert fields.

Why do you call it "irreversible"? It can just as well go the other way.

I'm using the most common definition of EM radiation given by the 1/r fall off term in the LW equations which is used to then calculate radiation power at large distances via Lamor's formula. This is always positive making the EM radiation generated by
    an accelerating charge irreversible.

.. We
    can time reverse this

Exactly what I said! SO why did you call it "irreversible"?

The radiation generated by the accelerating charge is irreversible as in we can't alter the motion of the charge so that this radiation can reverse in direction towards the charge. However, it is reversible in that we can create another valid physical
    model by reversing the order of events, so that this radiation is now interpreted as a boundary condition and externally generated radiation incoming towards the charge.

so that the radiation instead converges upon the
    charge causing it to "absorb" the radiation. If I'm not mistaken, this
    is physically interpreted as the incoming radiation converging to a singularity at the point charge,

Until now you just called it a "charge", now suddenly it has become
    a "point charge". So indeed there is then a singularity (and it is not
    a completely realistic case any more).

then propagating outwards again but

Why do you believe it will be "propagating outwards" again? Was there anything propogating inwards in the original (non-time-reversed) case?

No, there was nothing propagating inwards in the original case. I'm trying to physically interpret the time reversed case by splitting the reversed model into physical processes that combine to give a coherent model.

In the original case, the charge is accelerated and generates outgoing radiation. Time reverse this and the radiation that was outgoing now converges onto the charge which to me looks physically odd -- where does it go? Things become more sensible to me
    when treating the incoming radiation as independent of the charge it's now going to accelerate. The effect of the incoming radiation + its effect on accelerating the charge must combine to give zero net outward radiation because this was zero incoming
    radiation in the original case. So the reverse accelerated charge will generate outgoing radiation that must be cancelled by another outgoing field, and this comes from the incoming field converging onto the charge, then diverging outwards.

phase reversed and now *exactly* cancelling the radiation emitted by
    the accelerated charge.

Which radiation emitted?! The emitted radiation in the original (non- time-reversed) case is now absorbed radiation, so what are you referring
    to? You are mixing up the time-reversed and non-reversed cases.

Staying with the time reversed case, the now incoming radiation will accelerate the charge causing it to emit outgoing radiation.

Is this exact cancelling a consequence of the standard Maxwell's

You are mixing up the time-reversed and non-reversed cases, so of course there will be some things in one case which are equal but opposite to
    the corresponding things in the other case. That is just due to your own construction of a time-reversed case.

I disagree, I hope I've made things clearer in my above replies.

equations, or is it an additional postulate?

No, there is no postulate in classical ED that specifies anything about time-reversed solutions. They are by definition just what you obtain
    by changing t to -t. That's a complete description which does not leave
    any room for postulating anything more.

I agree after thinking about this over the past few days. The key for me was realizing that the charge is rigid in a sense so that it appears the same towards both incoming and outdoing radiation. Otherwise, the incoming radiation would have to exactly
    match the state of the deformed charge when it emitted the radiation, to exactly time reverse events which would be extremely unlikely.

John McAndrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From benj@21:1/5 to John McAndrew on Sat Nov 2 13:25:52 2019
    On 11/1/2019 8:45 PM, John McAndrew wrote:

Suppose a charge is accelerated by an external field, hence radiating
    irreversible energy-momentum given by the Lienard-Wiechert fields.

I'm using the most common definition of EM radiation given by the 1/r fall off term in the LW equations which is used to then calculate radiation power at large distances via Lamor's formula. This is always positive making the EM radiation generated by
    an accelerating charge irreversible.

.. We
    can time reverse this

Exactly what I said! SO why did you call it "irreversible"?

The radiation generated by the accelerating charge is irreversible as in we can't alter the motion of the charge so that this radiation can reverse in direction towards the charge. However, it is reversible in that we can create another valid physical
    model by reversing the order of events, so that this radiation is now interpreted as a boundary condition and externally generated radiation incoming towards the charge.

so that the radiation instead converges upon the
    charge causing it to "absorb" the radiation. If I'm not mistaken, this
    is physically interpreted as the incoming radiation converging to a
    singularity at the point charge,

Until now you just called it a "charge", now suddenly it has become
    a "point charge". So indeed there is then a singularity (and it is not
    a completely realistic case any more).

then propagating outwards again but

Why do you believe it will be "propagating outwards" again? Was there
    anything propogating inwards in the original (non-time-reversed) case?

No, there was nothing propagating inwards in the original case. I'm trying to physically interpret the time reversed case by splitting the reversed model into physical processes that combine to give a coherent model.

In the original case, the charge is accelerated and generates outgoing radiation. Time reverse this and the radiation that was outgoing now converges onto the charge which to me looks physically odd -- where does it go? Things become more sensible to
    me when treating the incoming radiation as independent of the charge it's now going to accelerate. The effect of the incoming radiation + its effect on accelerating the charge must combine to give zero net outward radiation because this was zero incoming
    radiation in the original case. So the reverse accelerated charge will generate outgoing radiation that must be cancelled by another outgoing field, and this comes from the incoming field converging onto the charge, then diverging outwards.

phase reversed and now *exactly* cancelling the radiation emitted by
    the accelerated charge.

Which radiation emitted?! The emitted radiation in the original (non-
    time-reversed) case is now absorbed radiation, so what are you referring
    to? You are mixing up the time-reversed and non-reversed cases.

Staying with the time reversed case, the now incoming radiation will accelerate the charge causing it to emit outgoing radiation.

You are mixing up the time-reversed and non-reversed cases, so of course
    there will be some things in one case which are equal but opposite to
    the corresponding things in the other case. That is just due to your own
    construction of a time-reversed case.

equations, or is it an additional postulate?

No, there is no postulate in classical ED that specifies anything about
    time-reversed solutions. They are by definition just what you obtain
    by changing t to -t. That's a complete description which does not leave
    any room for postulating anything more.

I agree after thinking about this over the past few days. The key for me was realizing that the charge is rigid in a sense so that it appears the same towards both incoming and outdoing radiation. Otherwise, the incoming radiation would have to exactly
    match the state of the deformed charge when it emitted the radiation, to exactly time reverse events which would be extremely unlikely.

John McAndrew

Feynman and others have already been through this loop. Great theory! I
    have no doubt it will become widely accepted just as soon as someone demonstrates a working time machine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jos Bergervoet@21:1/5 to John McAndrew on Sat Nov 2 21:55:33 2019
    On 19/11/02 1:45 AM, John McAndrew wrote:

I'm using the most common definition of EM radiation given by the 1/r fall off term in the LW equations which is used to then calculate radiation power at large distances via Lamor's formula.

This common definition does not make any claim of irreversibility.

This is always positive making the EM radiation generated by an accelerating charge irreversible.

It's a bit of an illogical use of the term. Sunlight is always coming
    from the sun towards us, but that doesn't make it irreversible. You
    just need a mirror..

Irreversible in my view is better reserved for cases where
    thermodynamics is involved. (Of course you could argue that we're
    already at that transition here. For a large collection of charges
    that might be true..)

Than it is a mathematical approach of choosing between equivalent
    descriptions of what happens..

In the original case, the charge is accelerated and generates outgoing radiation. Time reverse this and the radiation that was outgoing now converges onto the charge which to me looks physically odd -- where does it go?

Its energy goes into the force field (whichever it is) that in the
    original case did accelerate the particle. In the reversed case this
    force absorbs energy, in the original case it had to donate energy
    to the [particle + EM field] system.

Things become more sensible to me when treating the incoming radiation as independent of the charge it's now going to accelerate. The effect of the incoming radiation + its effect on accelerating the charge must combine to give zero net outward
    radiation because this was zero incoming radiation in the original case. So the reverse accelerated charge will generate outgoing radiation that must be cancelled by another outgoing field,

Not really, the decelerated charge can simply absorb the incoming
    radiation, and that's already a solution of the CED equations. Let's
    call that solution 1.

But, as you prefer, you can consider the same decelerated charge in a
    space where there is no incoming radiation, let's call this solution 2.
    In that case of course it will radiate (like any decelerated or
    accelerated charge will do if there is not this precisely tuned incoming radiation of solution 1).

To go from solution 2 back to solution 1, you have to add solution 3:
    the case of *only* incoming radiation, no particle present at all!
    And the incoming radiation will contract to the position where the
    particle is in solutions 1 and 2, but which is now empty. And there
    it will just bounce back (without any singularity) and become outgoing radiation. This outgoing radiation has a minus sign compared to that
    of solution 2, so adding solutions 3 and 2 gives you zero outgoing
    radiation, it is solution 1. This addition also gives you exactly one
    particle (from solution 2) because solution 3 doesn't have one.

The fact that solution 3 has no singularity can be understood by
    looking at the case of a purely spherical incoming wave, which will
    bounce back in the origin as an outgoing wave, but will *not* become
    become infinite. Only regular spherical Bessel functions are needed
    to describe this wave. (The irregular ones, the Neumann functions,
    would be needed if there actually is a point source, like a rotating
    point dipole, but not in the free-space case of solution 3).

You are mixing up the time-reversed and non-reversed cases, so of course
    there will be some things in one case which are equal but opposite to
    the corresponding things in the other case. That is just due to your own
    construction of a time-reversed case.

Yes, you did not "mix up" in the sense of making an error, you just
    wanted to construct solutions in the sense of "adding together" other
    solutions (and that's probably not the same as mixing them up!) I agree
    that this is possible, as with solutions 1, 2 and 3 described above.

--
    Jos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John McAndrew@21:1/5 to Jos Bergervoet on Sat Nov 2 19:20:02 2019
    On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 8:55:35 PM UTC, Jos Bergervoet wrote:
    On 19/11/02 1:45 AM, John McAndrew wrote:

I'm using the most common definition of EM radiation given by the 1/r fall off term in the LW equations which is used to then calculate radiation power at large distances via Lamor's formula.

This common definition does not make any claim of irreversibility.

This is always positive making the EM radiation generated by an accelerating charge irreversible.

It's a bit of an illogical use of the term. Sunlight is always coming
    from the sun towards us, but that doesn't make it irreversible. You
    just need a mirror..

that might be true..)

"Irreversible" radiation emitted by a charge has been used since at least Dirac in 1938: http://ivanik3.narod.ru/EMagnitizm/JornalPape/ParadocCullwick/Dirac/Proc1938v167Dirac148.pdf

page 155: "The third term -2/3 e^2 a^2 v_0 corresponds to irreversible emission of radiation and gives the effect of radiation damping on the electron".

There's this more recent paper 2010 from Gron: The significance of the Schott energy for energy-momentum conservation of a
    radiating charge obeying the Lorentz-Abraham-Dirac equation

page 6 claims Schott and Rhorlic used it: “The radiation rate is always positive (or zero) and describes an irreversible loss of energy; the Schott
    energy changes in a reversible fashion, returning to the same value whenever the state of motion repeats
    itself.”

I suppose context matters here so that people don't end up confused over what's actually meant.

Than it is a mathematical approach of choosing between equivalent descriptions of what happens..

My intention was to understand the physics of what's going on with the mathematics coming secondary. I find the incoming radiation disappearing into the charge as "absorbed" unsatisfactory to my understanding which admittedly is probably down to me not
    considering others factors.

In the original case, the charge is accelerated and generates outgoing radiation. Time reverse this and the radiation that was outgoing now converges onto the charge which to me looks physically odd -- where does it go?

To help me understand your point, consider a charged particle m entering a uniform magnetic field B at right angles. It spirals towards some point from a to b from dp/dt = evxB + radiation loss term. The magnetic field accelerates m but doesn't do any
    work on it so that the radiation is donated by the loss of kinetic energy of m IMO. Time reversing this so that m travels from b to a, the incoming radiation raises the kinetic energy of m.

The only way I can think of energy going in and out of the applied field causing the charge to accelerate is by changing the configuration of the sources generating it. But I don't see this taking place in this example.

Things become more sensible to me when treating the incoming radiation as independent of the charge it's now going to accelerate. The effect of the incoming radiation + its effect on accelerating the charge must combine to give zero net outward
    radiation because this was zero incoming radiation in the original case. So the reverse accelerated charge will generate outgoing radiation that must be cancelled by another outgoing field,

call that solution 1.

In this picture, how do you physically interpret the charge as "absorbing" the incoming radiation? eg. does the radiation just accelerate the charge so there's no energy left to radiate?

accelerated charge will do if there is not this precisely tuned incoming radiation of solution 1).

it will just bounce back (without any singularity) and become outgoing radiation. This outgoing radiation has a minus sign compared to that
    radiation, it is solution 1. This addition also gives you exactly one particle (from solution 2) because solution 3 doesn't have one.

"bouncing back" is one way of putting it since that's what it looks like. What I think really happens is that all parts of the incoming wavefront pass straight through the minimum region occupied by the charge, swapping places with one another at a fixed
    point. This causes a change in the sign of the Poynting vector a time t =r/c later at this fixed point, where r is the distance from the observation point to the charge.

John McAndrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From benj@21:1/5 to John McAndrew on Sun Nov 3 19:03:18 2019
    On 11/3/2019 6:40 PM, John McAndrew wrote:
    On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 5:25:55 PM UTC, benj wrote:

[snipped]

John McAndrew

have no doubt it will become widely accepted just as soon as someone
    demonstrates a working time machine.

Wheeler–Feynman absorber theory https://authors.library.caltech.edu/11095/1/WHErmp45.pdf

I've never read it in detail because I found the idea of radiation needing an absorber bizarre. That is, an accelerated charge wouldn't radiate if it was alone in the universe according to Tetrode and then Feynman.

What I'm talking about doesn't have anything to do with this. "Reversing in time" here just means creating a physical model via added boundary conditions if necessary that is a backward running version compared to the original. So if a charge is
    accelerated by a uniform electric field E from a to b, then to get it to move from b to a we just reverse the velocity of the charge keeping E the same. It's "time reversed" compared to the original in that the order of the events have been reversed.

Likewise with a charge moving in a circle in a constant magnetic field B from a to b. To reverse the events and hence "time reverse the model" we reverse the velocity and also the magnetic field to -B. Any idea as to why we need to reverse B?

It turns out that the accelerated charge also radiates away energy-momentum, so we have to add incoming radiation to compensate for the original loss, which wasn't there in the original model as outgoing radiation. In this sense, classical EM *appears*
    to me to be time-asymmetric, and that's what I find interesting. Maybe that's what Feynman and Wheeler were getting at, but I haven't fully appreciated yet?

John McAndrew

You say you are interesting in phenomena and not mathematics and yet you
    dwell on mathematical fantasies like points and time reversal. Classic
    EM mathematically allows time reversal but reality does not.
    Nevertheless there are very interesting things that can be achieved
    through time reversal. Consider the problem of a signal sent on an em
    beam through a random turbulent field. Can one restore the original
    signal or say build a matched filter to improve things? The answer is
    yes you can. It requires time-reversed information. But that is
    physically not available. Nevertheless some good results have been
    obtained two ways. One way is to simply Guess or estimate the time
    reversed signal And another is to allow a delay so that at least a part
    of the time-reversed signal is known because that much is no longer
    reversed. And this does to a point actually work. But as always
    mathematics is not more real than reality.

Atomic models on the other hand are a vast area of ignorance no matter
    what you've been taught.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John McAndrew@21:1/5 to benj on Sun Nov 3 15:40:29 2019

[snipped]

John McAndrew

have no doubt it will become widely accepted just as soon as someone demonstrates a working time machine.

Wheeler–Feynman absorber theory https://authors.library.caltech.edu/11095/1/WHErmp45.pdf

I've never read it in detail because I found the idea of radiation needing an absorber bizarre. That is, an accelerated charge wouldn't radiate if it was alone in the universe according to Tetrode and then Feynman.

What I'm talking about doesn't have anything to do with this. "Reversing in time" here just means creating a physical model via added boundary conditions if necessary that is a backward running version compared to the original. So if a charge is
    accelerated by a uniform electric field E from a to b, then to get it to move from b to a we just reverse the velocity of the charge keeping E the same. It's "time reversed" compared to the original in that the order of the events have been reversed.

Likewise with a charge moving in a circle in a constant magnetic field B from a to b. To reverse the events and hence "time reverse the model" we reverse the velocity and also the magnetic field to -B. Any idea as to why we need to reverse B?

It turns out that the accelerated charge also radiates away energy-momentum, so we have to add incoming radiation to compensate for the original loss, which wasn't there in the original model as outgoing radiation. In this sense, classical EM *appears*
    to me to be time-asymmetric, and that's what I find interesting. Maybe that's what Feynman and Wheeler were getting at, but I haven't fully appreciated yet?

John McAndrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jos Bergervoet@21:1/5 to benj on Mon Nov 4 10:02:12 2019
    On 19/11/04 1:03 AM, benj wrote:
    ... Classic
    EM mathematically allows time reversal but reality does not.

Where does it show that?

An EM wave absorbed in resistive material clearly is the 'time-
    reversed' case of chares emitting outgoing radiation. They
    absorb incoming radiation.

I think on that part we agree. But why do you restrict it to
    *classical* EM and why do you say it is only *mathematically*?
    These EM waves really are absorbed. And the description of the
    process does not need the classical theory, in fact QED does a
    better job, usually.

--
    Jos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jos Bergervoet@21:1/5 to benj on Mon Nov 4 11:09:17 2019
    On 19/11/04 10:22 AM, benj wrote:
    On 11/4/2019 4:02 AM, Jos Bergervoet wrote:
      ... Classic EM mathematically allows time reversal but reality does
    not.

Where does it show that?

better job, usually.

So you are saying ...

Hi Cathy.. Sorry, try again!

http://youtu.be/1XMJTWD2mzs?t=147 <-- counting starts here.

--
    Jos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From benj@21:1/5 to Jos Bergervoet on Mon Nov 4 04:22:10 2019
    not.

Where does it show that?

better job, usually.

So you are saying that any absorbed wave is a result of exact
    cancellation by waves coming from the future? That makes a mathematical
    theory, but we need some data showing present events can be influenced
    by future actions. If you have a time machine, I'd like to take a ride!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jos Bergervoet@21:1/5 to John McAndrew on Mon Nov 4 19:53:08 2019
    On 19/11/03 3:20 AM, John McAndrew wrote:
    On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 8:55:35 PM UTC, Jos Bergervoet wrote:
    that might be true..)

"Irreversible" radiation emitted by a charge has been used since at least Dirac in 1938: http://ivanik3.narod.ru/EMagnitizm/JornalPape/ParadocCullwick/Dirac/Proc1938v167Dirac148.pdf

page 155: "The third term -2/3 e^2 a^2 v_0 corresponds to irreversible emission of radiation and gives the effect of radiation damping on the electron".

There's this more recent paper 2010 from Gron: The significance of the Schott energy for energy-momentum conservation of a
    radiating charge obeying the Lorentz-Abraham-Dirac equation

page 6 claims Schott and Rhorlic used it: “The radiation rate is always positive (or zero)

Which is simply not true if you describe a particle during absorption
    of incoming radiation. I think 'always' must mean 'in the category of
    systems that we are treating here'. (I haven't read the original so
    I can't be sure..)

and describes an irreversible loss of energy; the Schott

You can 'describe' things in complicated ways by artificially splitting
    the energy in parts. But if you call a spade a spade then there is
    nothing 'irreversable' in the direction of the energy flow.

I suppose context matters here so that people don't end up confused over what's actually meant.

Sure, but fact is that 'irreversable' is not very often used for EM
    radiated fields. I don't think Jackson even does it once.

My intention was to understand the physics of what's going on with the mathematics coming secondary. I find the incoming radiation disappearing into the charge as "absorbed" unsatisfactory to my understanding which admittedly is probably down to me not
    considering others factors.

For me it isn't "just" disappearing, but is converted to other fields,
    since I don't see charged particles as anything else than configurations
    of quantum fields of some type.

And you'll surely agree that fields interact, the E-field also can be
    converted into B-field (in a resonating cavity it happens every half
    period). So fields disappearing while other fields gain energy seems
    fine to me.

To help me understand your point, consider a charged particle m entering a uniform magnetic field B at right angles.

That doesn't help. In that case you already have given the energy to
    the particle (so it is not a case where any external force is needed
    to donate energy. It is actually simpler than what I described.)

It spirals towards some point from a to b from dp/dt = evxB + radiation loss term. The magnetic field accelerates m but doesn't do any work on it so that the radiation is donated by the loss of kinetic energy of m IMO.

So everything is balanced. (No external forces of non-EM type needed).

Time reversing this so that m travels from b to a, the incoming radiation raises the kinetic energy of m.

Again nicely balanced. So what is your question?

The only way I can think of energy going in and out of the applied field causing the charge to accelerate

Which energy? Which field? Before the particle entered the region
    you described there may have been a force field (EM or other) that
    accelerated it, but you don't specify that. During its spiraling
    in the B-field region the energy exchange is zero (both in the time-
    reversed and non-reversed case). So what is the question?

is by changing the configuration of the sources generating it. But I don't see this taking place in this example.

Exactly, there is no energy exchange with the B-field. In this special
    case it's not positive, not negative, but simply zero.

Still you could look at the self-field of the particle (its eletro-
    magnetic mass contribution, so to say). Part of the 'kinetic energy'
    you mention is actually EM field energy in the self-field. And if
    your particle has the classical EM radius, its mass and kinetic energy
    are even 100% EM.

So whenever the kinetic energy s=changes, the EM part of the kinetic
    energy changes as well, so there you have exchange of energy between
    the self-field and the radiated (or incoming) waves.

call that solution 1.

In this picture, how do you physically interpret the charge as "absorbing" the incoming radiation? eg. does the radiation just accelerate the charge so there's no energy left to radiate?

That would be the case if there are no other (non-EM) force fields.
    It even has to be the case in that situation (with the caveat that
    it's not just the charge, but the charge together with its self-
    field, the 'dressed-up' particle, that is accelerated.

accelerated charge will do if there is not this precisely tuned incoming
    radiation of solution 1).

it will just bounce back (without any singularity) and become outgoing
    radiation. This outgoing radiation has a minus sign compared to that
    radiation, it is solution 1. This addition also gives you exactly one
    particle (from solution 2) because solution 3 doesn't have one.

"bouncing back" is one way of putting it since that's what it looks like.

Yes, you can see it in a cup filled with fluid, if you tap on the side
    it often creates an ingoing wave from all directions to the center. Now
    do the waves "bounce back" or pass through the center and proceed to the diametrically opposed side subsequently?

What I think really happens is that all parts of the incoming wavefront pass straight through the minimum region occupied by the charge, swapping places with one another at a fixed point.

If you look at the Poynting flux (or similar energy flux expression for
    the water waves in a cup) you will see that it vanishes in the center,
    so the energy is bounced back before it can reach that point. But in
    a not so precisely balanced spherical case, you would see energy passing
    the origin, or passing nearby at some offset. So part of it would then
    indeed depart in the diametrically opposed direction and part of it
    would still be bouncing back.

Note that it is not needed that all flux passes through the region
    occupied by the charge (and in solution 3 there is no charge any more!)
    It's just waves, and they can never be concentrated in a much smaller
    region then about one half wave length in size. Only the self-field of
    a point particle (or very small particle) can have the singular behavior
    at the origin. Free waves don't focus that sharply.

--
    Jos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John McAndrew@21:1/5 to Jos Bergervoet on Mon Nov 4 16:00:25 2019
    On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 6:53:51 PM UTC, Jos Bergervoet wrote:
    On 19/11/03 3:20 AM, John McAndrew wrote:

[snipped]

My intention was to understand the physics of what's going on with the mathematics coming secondary. I find the incoming radiation disappearing into the charge as "absorbed" unsatisfactory to my understanding which admittedly is probably down to me
    not considering others factors.

For me it isn't "just" disappearing, but is converted to other fields,
    since I don't see charged particles as anything else than configurations
    of quantum fields of some type.

And you'll surely agree that fields interact, the E-field also can be converted into B-field (in a resonating cavity it happens every half
    period). So fields disappearing while other fields gain energy seems
    fine to me.

On the one hand I don't see fields as physically interacting with one another directly at a point; they're linearly independent of one another and the interaction and conversion takes place at the sources producing them. Yet Maxwell's equations allow us
    to predict the time evolution of a field at a point from the spatial variation of another, so in that sense they do interact mathematically.

To help me understand your point, consider a charged particle m entering a uniform magnetic field B at right angles.

That doesn't help. In that case you already have given the energy to
    the particle (so it is not a case where any external force is needed
    to donate energy. It is actually simpler than what I described.)

It spirals towards some point from a to b from dp/dt = evxB + radiation loss term. The magnetic field accelerates m but doesn't do any work on it so that the radiation is donated by the loss of kinetic energy of m IMO.

So everything is balanced. (No external forces of non-EM type needed).

Time reversing this so that m travels from b to a, the incoming radiation raises the kinetic energy of m.

Again nicely balanced. So what is your question?

The only way I can think of energy going in and out of the applied field causing the charge to accelerate

Which energy? Which field? Before the particle entered the region
    you described there may have been a force field (EM or other) that accelerated it, but you don't specify that. During its spiraling
    in the B-field region the energy exchange is zero (both in the time-
    reversed and non-reversed case). So what is the question?

is by changing the configuration of the sources generating it. But I don't see this taking place in this example.

Exactly, there is no energy exchange with the B-field. In this special
    case it's not positive, not negative, but simply zero.

OK

Still you could look at the self-field of the particle (its eletro-
    magnetic mass contribution, so to say). Part of the 'kinetic energy'
    you mention is actually EM field energy in the self-field. And if
    your particle has the classical EM radius, its mass and kinetic energy
    are even 100% EM.

So whenever the kinetic energy s=changes, the EM part of the kinetic
    energy changes as well, so there you have exchange of energy between
    the self-field and the radiated (or incoming) waves.

Interestingly for me, when the charge radiates at a retarded time when its velocity was zero, this radiation far away has zero 3-momentum and a finite energy; one could interpret this as radiating off excessive energy/rest-mass. But labeling this as
    excessive rest mass is possibly not correct since an accelerated extended body doesn't possess a zero-momentum/rest frame and hence doesn't possess a rest-energy/mass in that frame.

Reversing this so that the radiation is converging symmetrically upon the stationary charge now means its total energy has increased but not its total 3-momentum. I'm guessing that this energy goes into increasing the kinetic energy and hence maintaining
    a constant rest mass as measured when travelling at a constant velocity.

[snipped]

John McAndrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fx FRT@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 5 09:07:42 2019
    By a asummp that the magnets around positivized the medium and a effort of the medium became to up the phothons and electrons configuration of process returns phothons to the cristal by the medium of water inclusive if don't exists the water the
    radiation of convergence of materials can be assume by a configuration of experimental process and electrons configure to be a planes into the magnets like the moments of electrons massives aglomerated

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fx FRT@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 5 09:03:13 2019
    A em wave lenghts can trasformador and absorb or emits phothons in case of put a electromecanical machine of emits wave lenghts in water they Avery need two more parts of flux that others mediums because the water are paramagnetic but I don't know the
    formulas and instead what happens in your CED if kinetics absorb the moments or not but is possible nearly to became zero( b field)at electromagnetic material with water so assumption others components iron oxide etc carbon flux with water and being
    instead flashing with phothons, only the mass zero or nearly to zero can produce a conssumtiom of energy and see the result , nearly to the attract or interact with electrons, the electrons emits this phothons waves in radius 360° and moving it, so the
    distant phothons like a focus this reversal focus can emits the phothons and result the back yard of the light because this phothons are susctract all emissions of wave lenghts because the water and a cristal have the continusly section to be a medium
    opmtimun like, a compass of light or like a intoinducction radiation form, but I don't know if this implicits expect that time reverse of a moments do exactly the consecuences of time reversal, because a phothons compass is only a conduit to deform the
    light around putting 4 sectors one of them the back face of the light, this radiation is spend in light to so another form of no see the light is this phothons turns, other that the amplitude is out is the rest of a big consecuences like put in movements
    a ciclotrón, who spend energy yes but generated the recomposition of all ferromagnetics and paramagnetics vectors, all at ground, the kinetics moment spend more energy that the medium instead but don't assume the rest of the paralel forces and instead
    something don't became to back in time only by itself, yes really term or hot are being probably experiment with time reversal termodinamics consecuences, hot is more hot than cold particle and cold asummp giving hot to hot in nano gold particles and
    iron I know, but instead I said wave longh can be absorb by medium is this is electrically consecuence of flux hiperdinamic who is possible in medium ambient in form of compass of light but I don't know if is reversal time about the consecuence of put in
    running the LHC in the proximetlies

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John McAndrew@21:1/5 to benj on Sat Nov 9 15:57:15 2019
    On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 9:22:13 AM UTC, benj wrote:
    not.

Where does it show that?

better job, usually.

So you are saying that any absorbed wave is a result of exact
    cancellation by waves coming from the future? That makes a mathematical theory, but we need some data showing present events can be influenced
    by future actions. If you have a time machine, I'd like to take a ride!

I've changed my mind on this and have the same doubts as you. The EM radiation absorbed in a resistor Jos is talking about gives rise to a finite electric field in the rest frame of the moving charge causing it to accelerate, whereas its time reversed
    emitted radiation would give rise to a zero electric field in the same rest frame. So I don't see why one couldn't argue that the charge wouldn't absorb its time reversed emitted radiation. Saying that it would, would mean the charge increasing its rest
    mass which ends up creating the problem of how its going to then reduce it -- by reradiating it as excessive energy-momentum anyway. However, from my ignorant understanding of QED, an electron does indeed absorb then reradiate photons. So the net effect
    with an unimaginably large number is that the electron appears to be transparent to its time reversed emitted radiation.

Also I suspect advanced and retarded waves aren't supposed to be mixed together and belong as separate solutions to Maxwell's equations where the charge only emits radiation from the past to the future and vice-versa. Getting it to absorb its time
    reversed emitted radiation isn't physically possible because it's not possible to generate it.

John McAndrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From p.kinsler@ic.ac.uk@21:1/5 to John McAndrew on Mon Nov 11 10:10:44 2019
    John McAndrew <johnmcandrew66@gmail.com> wrote:
    It turns out that the accelerated charge also radiates away
    energy-momentum, so we have to add incoming radiation to compensate
    for the original loss, which wasn't there in the original model as
    outgoing radiation. In this sense, classical EM *appears* to me to
    be time-asymmetric, and that's what I find interesting.

It seems to me you also need a model for the motion of the charge
    under the influence of the EM fields (ie Lorentz force law plus
    some kinematics). It's easy - in the outgoing (forward) case - to
    specify "the charge accelerates like this"; but in the time reversed
    case the charge as to respond in a manner that also self-consistently time-reverses the original specification of its motion.

#Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jos Bergervoet@21:1/5 to p.kinsler@ic.ac.uk on Mon Nov 11 13:55:52 2019
    On 19/11/11 11:10 AM, p.kinsler@ic.ac.uk wrote:

case the charge as to respond in a manner that also self-consistently time-reverses the original specification of its motion.

If the forward case is easy (as you claim) the time-reversed case
    is equally easy. t --> -t solves it all.

I'm not entirely sure, however, of the forward case's easiness. If
    you use classical particles, as is intended here since CED is the
    topic, you have to either use point particles (which give lots of
    infinities and other strange effects) or you need to describe a
    'rigid' non-point particle under non-inertial motion. This is of
    course directly related to several of the discussion we recently
    had with Larry Harson here. No need to repeat it all.

--
    Jos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John McAndrew@21:1/5 to p.ki...@ic.ac.uk on Mon Nov 11 09:12:09 2019
    On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 10:17:32 AM UTC, p.ki...@ic.ac.uk wrote:
    It turns out that the accelerated charge also radiates away energy-momentum, so we have to add incoming radiation to compensate

I think that Maxwell's equations demands this, despite the general consensus seeming to be that the Lorentz force equation is bolted on to Maxwell's equations, these only describing the time evolution of EM fields:
    https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/20477/can-the-lorentz-force-expression-be-derived-from-maxwells-equations/20491

Yet conservation of the EM stress-energy tensor, including motion of the sources, comes out of the equations using Noether's theorem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_stress%E2%80%93energy_tensor#Conservation_laws

So the sources, including rigid ones, have to move a particular way to keep Maxwell's equations consistent IMO. Perhaps EM with continuous sources is T-symmetric, but enforcing rigidness breaks this?

John McAndrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John McAndrew@21:1/5 to Jos Bergervoet on Mon Nov 11 08:34:01 2019
    On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 12:55:53 PM UTC, Jos Bergervoet wrote:

I don't think it's that easy. In a uniform magnetic field B, a charged particle radiates energy-momentum from a to b. Reversing everything including B and the charge loses further energy-momentum from b to c while gaining some from the now incoming time
    reversed outgoing a -> b emitted radiation. It's not enough to get the charge back to a: the radiation loss from b to c has to be added as additional energy-momentum to make the time reversed case physically possible, which wasn't in the original a -> b
    case.

[snipped]

John McAndrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jos Bergervoet@21:1/5 to John McAndrew on Mon Nov 11 21:45:49 2019
    On 19/11/11 5:34 PM, John McAndrew wrote:

case the charge as to respond in a manner that also self-consistently
    time-reverses the original specification of its motion.

I don't think it's that easy. In a uniform magnetic field B, a charged particle radiates energy-momentum from a to b.

You mean it's going from a to b (the particle).

Reversing everything including B and the charge loses further energy-momentum from b to c

No. If you reverse *everything* then the particle goes from
    b to a. It simply returns.

while gaining some from the now incoming time reversed outgoing a -> b emitted radiation.

Of course. the same amount that it lost in the forward case. (Since
    you reverse *everything*, you can't escape that conclusion.

It's not enough to get the charge back to a:

Yes, It absolutely is. All B-fields have a minus sign, the velocity
    is reversed, so the vxB Lorentz term is the same. The E-fields are
    unchanged so the force from the E-field is also the same. So the
    particle feels the same force while traveling in the other direction,
    which means:
    1) Its energy loss (or gain) is exactly opposite than in the forward
    case.
    2) Its acceleration d/dt v(-t) is the same, which proves that following
    this 'exactly reverse' trajectory is indeed a solution (after all
    d^2/dt^2 x(-t) at time=-t, is equal to d^2/dt^2 x(t) at time=t,
    so x(-t) exactly obeys Newton's law.)

the radiation loss from b to c

The point c is exactly a.

has to be added as additional energy-momentum

But it is a negative loss, i.e. a radiation gain, not a loss!

to make the time reversed case physically possible,

Aha! There we are. You *reject* the solution, even though t --> -t
    exactly obeys Newton, and Maxwell, you *still* claim that it isn't
    a solution (because your 'feelings' tell you so, perhaps?)

I cannot help you if you reject the laws of CED while claiming to
    discuss CED. You may think it is not 'physically possible', but
    you simply are wrong. Within CED this time reversed solution is
    an exact and perfectly valid solution. (It will not often occur
    in nature, of course. It requires a very special incoming wave
    to get exactly this case.)

which wasn't in the original a -> b case.

Everything definitely *was* in the original case. If you just
    reverse t --> -t, you're not throwing anything away.

--
    Jos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fx FRT@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 12 06:44:59 2019
    Include autofem of points in charge who claims for reverse effect and charge a count of material and absorbs her fields and then expelled the charge because of the autoinducction a perhaps paralell plus of detectors of metals, who repels the position so
    induct can be attracted by North but several cases in South poles the instant of movement in this polar hemisferium earthly saying, the wires so repels the iron and then induce but the current first travel up to down in intensity and then if well the
    consciensciusly of that is that acummulatted with iron more field than repels tanks and missiles of proximity perhaps often before explosion, but is emits and contract the air for gain charge??? Who can said this!! Meant now the Wi-Fi signal perhaps have
    more data than before or the radio length current can absorbs time reversal position in EMF, well
    sen@= Awf/ 2LT,
    2πę × dV/dS instead in t or -t A = c1+ c2 ig + 2L x |q|
    supposed q time and in electronsvolts
    If w≈c the position but instead in L = one radious is R-r²+R²-r/Rxr equal to be the dS of charge sen@=Awfx2πęxdV / T

if you attract the point in South and inercialized South in positive then repels South the electrons gain focus obturated the positive flow tensor repels out of charge into appears a moment of inertia discharge the fenomenom that attract North to South
    and then what's happened, the motion of energy is absorbs by universe in time lapse negative but is something natural ocurrs every time about motion or kinetics so time lapse negative absorbs in this hemisferium every when South or same poles you take
    distorssed by every focus North, for equation a time reversal include the motion equal in proportion at d of voltage d of distance of moves if you moves or if you instead stayed with it other fem and interact meant that high field research have more
    frequency atchatments that her distance to be equal is before of movement of you and instead significatted the equation solve is granted to be repels in instead of congregated of instead a field more big, so the South with North inside and meaby a
    obturador like property a tensors magnetics mechanics, bit difference that travel only because the effects in time reversal are more than one, proximity that elevation of force of mass granted a torsion of space and instead a congregated of movements of
    fields, because of that you take a three polarized lines and put one in reversal time one in middle with one instead before and then the one other before in after and after in the other middle and instead trasmitt a interruptor coil of instead a 555 with
    3 and 5 mass and 7 30033 hz collector to the lines so instead above during the experiment you take mass and take middle to exposure the positive test voltage in current instead of the secction above and take often a receptor like the current in the other
    middle, if is negative is current in time reversal and the current is the same in one position than other but if is negative means time reverse travel out of gain, for the lost only take the proximetly points gain all current but lost at mass so call the
    radiant wave and put in diferencial a capacitor with resistor resonant to said well we have voltage six-antenna

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John McAndrew@21:1/5 to Jos Bergervoet on Tue Nov 12 15:23:11 2019
    On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 8:46:13 PM UTC, Jos Bergervoet wrote:

I don't think it's that easy. In a uniform magnetic field B, a charged particle radiates energy-momentum from a to b.

Reversing everything including B and the charge loses further energy-momentum from b to c

while gaining some from the now incoming time reversed outgoing a -> b emitted radiation.

which means:
    case.

The time reversibility of CED for continuous charges where all forces are long range EM makes sense to me for the reasons you've given above. The bit I'm skeptical about is then imposing a rigidness on all the charges making up the system via short range
    local EM forces, and claiming time reversibility still holds when emitted radiation is reversed back onto the rigid charge.

When the rigid charge (RC) is accelerated by a constant E field, the short range EM forces (Poincare stresses) balance the internal field of the continuous charge and the effect of the external E, while radiating. Reversing this, we now have an
    additional reversed radiation field acting on the RC, causing the Poincare stresses having to change in magnitude compared to the non-reversed case. I therefore still remain unconvinced.

John McAndrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jos Bergervoet@21:1/5 to John McAndrew on Thu Nov 14 19:27:55 2019
    On 19/11/13 12:23 AM, John McAndrew wrote:
    energy-momentum, so we have to add incoming radiation to compensate >>>>>> for the original loss, which wasn't there in the original model as >>>>>> outgoing radiation. In this sense, classical EM *appears* to me to >>>>>> be time-asymmetric, and that's what I find interesting.

specify "the charge accelerates like this"; but in the time reversed >>>>> case the charge as to respond in a manner that also self-consistently >>>>> time-reverses the original specification of its motion.

which means:
    case.

The time reversibility of CED for continuous charges where all forces are long range EM makes sense to me for the reasons you've given above.

Even if the particle collides with some (non-electrical) object it
    would still be valid, despite short-range forces during the collision.
    No reason to exclude any forces, EM or otherwise.

CED as a theory only describes the EM forces anyway, so other forces
    would just be a 'given' for the calculation, and in the reverse
    situation they should be present as well (with -t substituted as
    time dependence of course).

The bit I'm skeptical about is then imposing a rigidness on all the charges making up the system via short range local EM forces,

But whatever your 'rigidness' description is, you can always mirror
    it in time. If the particle has some elastic deformation then that
    also can be mirrored in time. Please note, however, that you cannot
    describe a stable particle with only EM forces! It would either blow
    up or collapse. I'm not even sure whether you can easily describe
    stable matter with any combination of classical forces. (In QM, the
    fact that there is Pauli-exclusion for fermions makes it much easier, classically you probably need some ad-hoc repulsive short-range force,
    perhaps becoming attractive at larger range.. But anyhow it's outside
    the realm of CED.) <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=stability+of+classical+matter>

and claiming time reversibility still holds when emitted radiation is reversed back onto the rigid charge.

You would have to assume that the (ad hoc) repulsive force that you
    add is time reversible, if not then of course the total system isn't.
    (Also in QM it isn't, it's only TCP-invariant.)

When the rigid charge (RC) is accelerated by a constant E field, the short range EM forces (Poincare stresses) balance the internal field of the continuous charge and the effect of the external E, while radiating.

I don't think so. The charge would blow apart if there is nothing
    else then EM Poincare stress, you need to add non-EM! (But we can
    of course assume that there is such a force, whatever it is..)

Reversing this, we now have an additional reversed radiation field acting on the RC, causing the Poincare stresses having to change in magnitude compared to the non-reversed case. I therefore still remain unconvinced.

Pure EM forces won't give you stable particles, so you're right.
    But combined with other (time-reversible, non-EM) forces you could
    still have a time reversible solution! Whether you would really
    get a stable solution is doubtful, but that has nothing to do
    with acceleration. Even the static configuration of a stationary
    particle is not stable with only EM forces, acc. to Earnshaw's
    theorem. And the theorem does not say that with other (reasonable)
    forces it *would* become stable!

(NB: if you include GR as part of CED, then a simple way out is
    to define a extremal Kerr-Newton black hole as your particle..
    But that solution is already quite, eh.. extreme.)

--
    Jos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fx FRT@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 15 10:42:10 2019
    Jos a static Collider of paramagnetics and Foucault tunnel can strike the reason at the same stability as high field research and stay alone levitating form putting in mass in neutron gamma radiation the wave long of this conjunction with electric
    emission or electric absortions,, but a statically force can respond any effort to be the antistatic force too so singularity are process like a machine, but any wise are before of big bang the cosmic guarantees is offers us all types of ocurrs and is
    posible too effort to matter so long wave and receive a down frequency laser to be putting in the time reversal point of cumulus and this ambient lostly current and effort to the same light wave point that reflect or constiniusly deflect but who are
    emission that ocurrs in time proposal to construct a nuclear Blast of neutrinos and put a bomb in nearly inmediations of past world crash and photons in our possibilities of the future next in 2050 so emitted the neutrinos gain of vectors of c and more
    speed of light so time reversal came to us and we can detect this gain but,, this is only a LHC CERN concisium and respect to then above in space this only travel to left millions of seconds to many too many distorsión and the wave long is detterminated
    in 4,46x10^-22 mm so nuclear Blast doesn't never became so near to atom meant that nucleus have other dimensions and above the time travel of the present but antispin can reverse time, or anti matter can stress like matter and if you like put oxygen in
    minor 32 and had one proton of anti hydrogen -33 -ho² technically this process collidary all matter in around her collision with this and eclectic thing near atom Collider can expand the nucleus and then point of reversal tunnel of vacuum can give us
    the nearly proxinetly of mediation in a compass but however one day isotope 283 can give us a gain of certainly 80% of decreeds and effort sustainability of contamination alpha so many to Collider any neutron more respond to this letter is sustainability
    saying that the effect and contra effect at b-a-b gain 0 and b1=b2 like one magnet over other and repels and if you proxinetly around more than the medium effort sustainability the force you respond at same time in same case if would you like to said in
    suth North porality strict straight but yet I said efforts in many directions can provide the same conjunt effort to meant hadrons can observer in the middle point of vibrations listen around all strings turbielectric strings around a magnet or a field
    can substitute the fields for electricity if gain sustainability wave length with the 2L receptor as well if not know Tesla radiation antenna, so electricity can be stayed here so flux in other strict straight only in movement of electrons but same we
    have microwave we are electric same fries like a potato, other thing about grinning neutrons is a isotope 283 can offers a difference of -1, -0.7, -0. 41 % of non efficiency in heat so neutrons exits all in present but that for they gamma repulsion and
    microlenght waves the frequency is the rescued and I hope middle wave 1713hz middle effort to respond frequency statement at 1711 wave length range emitts all percent of velocity to said electrically +on in c conditions obviously you condition of stress
    of motion where the effects ocurrs can make levitating you efforts cinetics of light but not more time reversal middle point efforts constates double efforts fiourniture experiment can also giving us the middle time of the nervous of your stress mind
    when you absorbs this time lapse but hamiltonianan wave length is only 6,25 percent of this because 1/16,1/8,1/4,1/2 effect of double expositure but if you really have to done experiment with all range of microlenghts of lights all metallic materials
    become electrically but this yet ocurrs in sun light , so mAny efforts you made you also receive the point of view of a god to created time reversal absortions of gain and responds electrically with one of two poles and other in your head

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From benj@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 15 15:00:33 2019
    T24gMTEvMTUvMjAxOSAxOjQyIFBNLCBGeCBGUlQgd3JvdGU6DQo+IEpvcyBhIHN0YXRpYyBD b2xsaWRlciBvZiBwYXJhbWFnbmV0aWNzIGFuZCBGb3VjYXVsdCB0dW5uZWwgY2FuIHN0cmlr ZSB0aGUgcmVhc29uIGF0IHRoZSBzYW1lIHN0YWJpbGl0eSBhcyBoaWdoIGZpZWxkIHJlc2Vh cmNoIGFuZCBzdGF5IGFsb25lIGxldml0YXRpbmcgZm9ybSBwdXR0aW5nIGluIG1hc3MgaW4g bmV1dHJvbiBnYW1tYSByYWRpYXRpb24gdGhlIHdhdmUgbG9uZyBvZiB0aGlzIGNvbmp1bmN0 aW9uIHdpdGggZWxlY3RyaWMgZW1pc3Npb24gb3IgZWxlY3RyaWMgYWJzb3J0aW9ucywsIGJ1 dCBhIHN0YXRpY2FsbHkgZm9yY2UgY2FuIHJlc3BvbmQgYW55IGVmZm9ydCB0byBiZSB0aGUg YW50aXN0YXRpYyBmb3JjZSB0b28gc28gc2luZ3VsYXJpdHkgYXJlIHByb2Nlc3MgbGlrZSBh IG1hY2hpbmUsIGJ1dCBhbnkgd2lzZSBhcmUgYmVmb3JlIG9mIGJpZyBiYW5nIHRoZSBjb3Nt aWMgZ3VhcmFudGVlcyBpcyBvZmZlcnMgdXMgYWxsIHR5cGVzIG9mIG9jdXJycyBhbmQgaXMg cG9zaWJsZSB0b28gZWZmb3J0IHRvIG1hdHRlciBzbyBsb25nIHdhdmUgYW5kIHJlY2VpdmUg YSBkb3duIGZyZXF1ZW5jeSBsYXNlciB0byBiZSBwdXR0aW5nIGluIHRoZSB0aW1lIHJldmVy c2FsIHBvaW50IG9mIGN1bXVsdXMgYW5kIHRoaXMgYW1iaWVudCBsb3N0bHkgY3VycmVudCBh bmQgZWZmb3J0IHRvIHRoZSBzYW1lIGxpZ2h0IHdhdmUgcG9pbnQgdGhhdCByZWZsZWN0IG9y IGNvbnN0aW5pdXNseSBkZWZsZWN0IGJ1dCB3aG8gYXJlIGVtaXNzaW9uIHRoYXQgb2N1cnJz IGluIHRpbWUgcHJvcG9zYWwgdG8gY29uc3RydWN0IGEgbnVjbGVhciBCbGFzdCBvZiBuZXV0 cmlub3MgYW5kIHB1dCBhIGJvbWIgaW4gbmVhcmx5IGlubWVkaWF0aW9ucyBvZiBwYXN0IHdv cmxkIGNyYXNoIGFuZCBwaG90b25zIGluIG91ciBwb3NzaWJpbGl0aWVzIG9mIHRoZSBmdXR1 cmUgbmV4dCBpbiAyMDUwIHNvIGVtaXR0ZWQgdGhlIG5ldXRyaW5vcyBnYWluIG9mIHZlY3Rv cnMgb2YgYyBhbmQgbW9yZSBzcGVlZCBvZiBsaWdodCBzbyB0aW1lIHJldmVyc2FsIGNhbWUg dG8gdXMgYW5kIHdlIGNhbiBkZXRlY3QgdGhpcyBnYWluIGJ1dCwsIHRoaXMgaXMgb25seSBh IExIQyBDRVJOIGNvbmNpc2l1bSBhbmQgcmVzcGVjdCB0byB0aGVuIGFib3ZlIGluIHNwYWNl IHRoaXMgb25seSB0cmF2ZWwgdG8gbGVmdCBtaWxsaW9ucyBvZiBzZWNvbmRzIHRvIG1hbnkg dG9vIG1hbnkgZGlzdG9yc2nDs24gYW5kIHRoZSB3YXZlIGxvbmcgaXMgZGV0dGVybWluYXRl ZCBpbiA0LDQ2eDEwXi0yMiBtbSBzbyBudWNsZWFyIEJsYXN0IGRvZXNuJ3QgbmV2ZXIgYmVj YW1lIHNvIG5lYXIgdG8gYXRvbSBtZWFudCB0aGF0IG51Y2xldXMgaGF2ZSBvdGhlciBkaW1l bnNpb25zIGFuZCBhYm92ZSB0aGUgdGltZSB0cmF2ZWwgb2YgdGhlIHByZXNlbnQgYnV0IGFu dGlzcGluIGNhbiByZXZlcnNlIHRpbWUsIG9yIGFudGkgbWF0dGVyIGNhbiBzdHJlc3MgbGlr ZSBtYXR0ZXIgYW5kIGlmIHlvdSBsaWtlIHB1dCBveHlnZW4gaW4gbWlub3IgMzIgYW5kIGhh ZCBvbmUgcHJvdG9uIG9mIGFudGkgaHlkcm9nZW4gLTMzIC1ob8KyIHRlY2huaWNhbGx5IHRo aXMgcHJvY2VzcyBjb2xsaWRhcnkgYWxsIG1hdHRlciBpbiBhcm91bmQgaGVyIGNvbGxpc2lv biB3aXRoIHRoaXMgYW5kIGVjbGVjdGljIHRoaW5nIG5lYXIgYXRvbSBDb2xsaWRlciBjYW4g ZXhwYW5kIHRoZSBudWNsZXVzIGFuZCB0aGVuIHBvaW50IG9mIHJldmVyc2FsIHR1bm5lbCBv ZiB2YWN1dW0gY2FuIGdpdmUgdXMgdGhlIG5lYXJseSBwcm94aW5ldGx5IG9mIG1lZGlhdGlv biBpbiBhIGNvbXBhc3MgYnV0IGhvd2V2ZXIgb25lIGRheSBpc290b3BlIDI4MyBjYW4gZ2l2 ZSB1cyBhIGdhaW4gb2YgY2VydGFpbmx5IDgwJSBvZiBkZWNyZWVkcyBhbmQgZWZmb3J0IHN1 c3RhaW5hYmlsaXR5IG9mIGNvbnRhbWluYXRpb24gYWxwaGEgc28gbWFueSB0byBDb2xsaWRl ciBhbnkgbmV1dHJvbiBtb3JlIHJlc3BvbmQgdG8gdGhpcyBsZXR0ZXIgaXMgc3VzdGFpbmFi aWxpdHkgc2F5aW5nIHRoYXQgdGhlIGVmZmVjdCBhbmQgY29udHJhIGVmZmVjdCBhdCBiLWEt YiBnYWluIDAgYW5kIGIxPWIyIGxpa2Ugb25lIG1hZ25ldCBvdmVyIG90aGVyIGFuZCByZXBl bHMgYW5kIGlmIHlvdSBwcm94aW5ldGx5IGFyb3VuZCBtb3JlIHRoYW4gdGhlIG1lZGl1bSBl ZmZvcnQgc3VzdGFpbmFiaWxpdHkgdGhlIGZvcmNlIHlvdSByZXNwb25kIGF0IHNhbWUgdGlt ZSBpbiBzYW1lIGNhc2UgaWYgd291bGQgeW91IGxpa2UgdG8gc2FpZCBpbiBzdXRoIE5vcnRo IHBvcmFsaXR5IHN0cmljdCBzdHJhaWdodCBidXQgeWV0IEkgc2FpZCBlZmZvcnRzIGluIG1h bnkgZGlyZWN0aW9ucyBjYW4gcHJvdmlkZSB0aGUgc2FtZSBjb25qdW50IGVmZm9ydCB0byBt ZWFudCBoYWRyb25zIGNhbiBvYnNlcnZlciBpbiB0aGUgbWlkZGxlIHBvaW50IG9mIHZpYnJh dGlvbnMgbGlzdGVuIGFyb3VuZCBhbGwgc3RyaW5ncyB0dXJiaWVsZWN0cmljIHN0cmluZ3Mg YXJvdW5kIGEgbWFnbmV0IG9yIGEgZmllbGQgY2FuIHN1YnN0aXR1dGUgdGhlIGZpZWxkcyBm b3IgZWxlY3RyaWNpdHkgaWYgZ2FpbiBzdXN0YWluYWJpbGl0eSB3YXZlIGxlbmd0aCB3aXRo IHRoZSAyTCByZWNlcHRvciBhcyB3ZWxsIGlmIG5vdCBrbm93IFRlc2xhIHJhZGlhdGlvbiBh bnRlbm5hLCBzbyBlbGVjdHJpY2l0eSBjYW4gYmUgc3RheWVkIGhlcmUgc28gZmx1eCBpbiBv dGhlciBzdHJpY3Qgc3RyYWlnaHQgb25seSBpbiBtb3ZlbWVudCBvZiBlbGVjdHJvbnMgYnV0 IHNhbWUgd2UgaGF2ZSBtaWNyb3dhdmUgd2UgYXJlIGVsZWN0cmljIHNhbWUgZnJpZXMgbGlr ZSBhIHBvdGF0bywgb3RoZXIgdGhpbmcgYWJvdXQgZ3Jpbm5pbmcgbmV1dHJvbnMgaXMgYSBp c290b3BlIDI4MyBjYW4gb2ZmZXJzIGEgZGlmZmVyZW5jZSBvZiAtMSwgLTAuNywgLTAuIDQx ICUgb2Ygbm9uIGVmZmljaWVuY3kgaW4gaGVhdCBzbyBuZXV0cm9ucyBleGl0cyBhbGwgaW4g cHJlc2VudCBidXQgdGhhdCBmb3IgdGhleSBnYW1tYSByZXB1bHNpb24gYW5kIG1pY3JvbGVu Z2h0IHdhdmVzIHRoZSBmcmVxdWVuY3kgaXMgdGhlIHJlc2N1ZWQgYW5kIEkgaG9wZSBtaWRk bGUgd2F2ZSAxNzEzaHogbWlkZGxlIGVmZm9ydCB0byByZXNwb25kIGZyZXF1ZW5jeSBzdGF0 ZW1lbnQgYXQgMTcxMSB3YXZlIGxlbmd0aCByYW5nZSBlbWl0dHMgYWxsIHBlcmNlbnQgb2Yg dmVsb2NpdHkgdG8gc2FpZCBlbGVjdHJpY2FsbHkgK29uIGluIGMgY29uZGl0aW9ucyBvYnZp b3VzbHkgeW91IGNvbmRpdGlvbiBvZiBzdHJlc3Mgb2YgbW90aW9uIHdoZXJlIHRoZSBlZmZl Y3RzIG9jdXJycyBjYW4gbWFrZSBsZXZpdGF0aW5nIHlvdSBlZmZvcnRzIGNpbmV0aWNzIG9m IGxpZ2h0IGJ1dCBub3QgbW9yZSB0aW1lIHJldmVyc2FsIG1pZGRsZSBwb2ludCBlZmZvcnRz IGNvbnN0YXRlcyBkb3VibGUgZWZmb3J0cyBmaW91cm5pdHVyZSBleHBlcmltZW50IGNhbiBh bHNvIGdpdmluZyB1cyB0aGUgbWlkZGxlIHRpbWUgb2YgdGhlIG5lcnZvdXMgb2YgeW91ciBz dHJlc3MgbWluZCB3aGVuIHlvdSBhYnNvcmJzIHRoaXMgdGltZSBsYXBzZSBidXQgaGFtaWx0 b25pYW5hbiB3YXZlIGxlbmd0aCBpcyBvbmx5IDYsMjUgcGVyY2VudCBvZiB0aGlzIGJlY2F1 c2UgMS8xNiwxLzgsMS80LDEvMiAgZWZmZWN0IG9mIGRvdWJsZSBleHBvc2l0dXJlIGJ1dCBp ZiB5b3UgcmVhbGx5IGhhdmUgdG8gZG9uZSBleHBlcmltZW50IHdpdGggYWxsIHJhbmdlIG9m IG1pY3JvbGVuZ2h0cyBvZiBsaWdodHMgYWxsIG1ldGFsbGljIG1hdGVyaWFscyBiZWNvbWUg ZWxlY3RyaWNhbGx5IGJ1dCB0aGlzIHlldCBvY3VycnMgaW4gc3VuIGxpZ2h0ICwgc28gbUFu eSBlZmZvcnRzIHlvdSBtYWRlIHlvdSBhbHNvIHJlY2VpdmUgdGhlIHBvaW50IG9mIHZpZXcg b2YgYSBnb2QgdG8gY3JlYXRlZCB0aW1lIHJldmVyc2FsIGFic29ydGlvbnMgb2YgZ2FpbiBh bmQgcmVzcG9uZHMgZWxlY3RyaWNhbGx5IHdpdGggb25lIG9mIHR3byBwb2xlcyBhbmQgb3Ro ZXIgaW4geW91ciBoZWFkDQo+IA0KWWF3bi4gUm9ibyB3b3JkIHNhbGFkLiBPbGQgbmV3cy4N
    Cg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John McAndrew@21:1/5 to Jos Bergervoet on Sat Nov 16 14:47:42 2019
    On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 6:27:57 PM UTC, Jos Bergervoet wrote:
    On 19/11/13 12:23 AM, John McAndrew wrote:
    On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 12:55:53 PM UTC, Jos Bergervoet wrote: >>>> On 19/11/11 11:10 AM, p.kinsler@ic.ac.uk wrote:
    energy-momentum, so we have to add incoming radiation to compensate >>>>>> for the original loss, which wasn't there in the original model as >>>>>> outgoing radiation. In this sense, classical EM *appears* to me to >>>>>> be time-asymmetric, and that's what I find interesting.

specify "the charge accelerates like this"; but in the time reversed >>>>> case the charge as to respond in a manner that also self-consistently >>>>> time-reverses the original specification of its motion.

which means:
    case.

The time reversibility of CED for continuous charges where all forces are long range EM makes sense to me for the reasons you've given above.

Even if the particle collides with some (non-electrical) object it
    would still be valid, despite short-range forces during the collision.
    No reason to exclude any forces, EM or otherwise.

CED as a theory only describes the EM forces anyway, so other forces
    would just be a 'given' for the calculation, and in the reverse
    situation they should be present as well (with -t substituted as
    time dependence of course).

The bit I'm skeptical about is then imposing a rigidness on all the charges making up the system via short range local EM forces,

But whatever your 'rigidness' description is, you can always mirror
    it in time. If the particle has some elastic deformation then that
    also can be mirrored in time. Please note, however, that you cannot
    describe a stable particle with only EM forces! It would either blow
    up or collapse. I'm not even sure whether you can easily describe
    stable matter with any combination of classical forces. (In QM, the
    fact that there is Pauli-exclusion for fermions makes it much easier, classically you probably need some ad-hoc repulsive short-range force, perhaps becoming attractive at larger range.. But anyhow it's outside
    the realm of CED.) <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=stability+of+classical+matter>

and claiming time reversibility still holds when emitted radiation is reversed back onto the rigid charge.

You would have to assume that the (ad hoc) repulsive force that you
    add is time reversible, if not then of course the total system isn't.
    (Also in QM it isn't, it's only TCP-invariant.)

When the rigid charge (RC) is accelerated by a constant E field, the short range EM forces (Poincare stresses) balance the internal field of the continuous charge and the effect of the external E, while radiating.

I don't think so. The charge would blow apart if there is nothing
    else then EM Poincare stress, you need to add non-EM! (But we can
    of course assume that there is such a force, whatever it is..)

Reversing this, we now have an additional reversed radiation field acting on the RC, causing the Poincare stresses having to change in magnitude compared to the non-reversed case. I therefore still remain unconvinced.

Pure EM forces won't give you stable particles, so you're right.
    But combined with other (time-reversible, non-EM) forces you could
    still have a time reversible solution! Whether you would really
    get a stable solution is doubtful, but that has nothing to do
    with acceleration. Even the static configuration of a stationary
    particle is not stable with only EM forces, acc. to Earnshaw's
    theorem. And the theorem does not say that with other (reasonable)
    forces it *would* become stable!

(NB: if you include GR as part of CED, then a simple way out is
    to define a extremal Kerr-Newton black hole as your particle..
    But that solution is already quite, eh.. extreme.)

Do you agree that whatever the nature of the additional force maintaining the rigidness of the charge, it can be different between t+ and reversed t- cases? For example:

t+ eq t- for an extended rigid charge at constant velocity: internal E_c from charge acting upon itself, F_p to maintain rigidness.

t+ neq t- for an extended rigid charge at constant proper acceleration: t+ has E_a from applied electric field, E_c from charge acting upon itself, F_p to maintain rigidness and different to that when travelling at constant velocity. t- is as above, but
    now there is the additional reversed radiation field acting back upon the charge.

Interestingly for me, reversing the velocity of the sources in a closed EM system reverses the bounded magnetic B field, but not the radiation B field; this has to be additionally reversed by inverting the sign of its B field. I find this inconsistent.
    Perhaps it's because the 3-vector nature of Maxwell's equations are being analyzed for reversal symmetries, including time, rather than looking at the covariant symmetry of Maxwell's equations in the Lorentz gauge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covariant_
    formulation_of_classical_electromagnetism#Maxwell's_equations_in_the_Lorenz_gauge

@_alpha A^alpha = 0 -- (1), @^2A^alpha = mu_0 J^alpha --(2)

Unless I'm mistaken, equation (1) is invariant to inversion of A and @ so we only need to look at (2). The sign of @^2 changes twice to inversion of @, but 3-time and 3-parity still need to be reversed together. The 4-potential A and 4-current J have to
    be reversed together. Again, it looks as if A_bounded is reversed by J, while A_radiation still has to be explicitly reversed as before.

John McAndrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From p.kinsler@ic.ac.uk@21:1/5 to Jos Bergervoet on Mon Jan 27 10:09:38 2020
    Jos Bergervoet <jos.bergervoet@xs4all.nl> wrote:

It's been a while, but I wanted to come back to this, just to make it
    clearer why - and on what grounds - I said the reversed case was
    different.

If I want to generate an outgoing field, I can do this by waving a
    charge around according to some specification. It may, as you say, be
    hard to calculate what the exact resulting outgoing field is, but in
    principle it can be done. The generated field travels away, and that
    is it.

Cancelling an incoming field by waving a charge is a different
    problem; because *UNLESS PREARRANGED* the charge-waver cannot know
    when when the incoming field will arrive, and will also not know what
    waveform it will take.

In this not-pre-arranged case, the charge-waver therefore will have to
    detect the field as it arrives, infer on the basis of that necessarily
    partial information what the field is going to do next, and try to
    wave their charge to achieve their goal of cancelling the whole field.
    It will be impossible, on grounds of causality, to achieve perfect cancellation. As soon as the leading edge of the incoming field
    arraives and is detected, it is too late for that part to be
    cancelled; the cancellation process will always lag the arriving
    field; and the cancellation will never be perfect (although it might
    be good enough).

#Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From benj@21:1/5 to p.kinsler@ic.ac.uk on Mon Jan 27 14:32:55 2020
    On 1/27/2020 5:09 AM, p.kinsler@ic.ac.uk wrote:

different.

hard to calculate what the exact resulting outgoing field is, but in principle it can be done. The generated field travels away, and that
    is it.

when when the incoming field will arrive, and will also not know what waveform it will take.

detect the field as it arrives, infer on the basis of that necessarily partial information what the field is going to do next, and try to
    It will be impossible, on grounds of causality, to achieve perfect cancellation. As soon as the leading edge of the incoming field
    be good enough).

#Paul

I'd say you pretty much have described the situation. What was the
    question? From the Jefimenko equations it is seen that all fields are
    created by charges and currents (charges moving). In Jos' world of
    mathematics +t and -t are totally the same and interchangeable. However
    as you point out, in our meat universe causality creates problems
    because unlike Jos the rest of us are not constantly getting messages
    from the future. However, the reverse time cancelling thing is so
    appealing people try to take advantage of it by approximating knowing
    the future as I've mentioned before. One way is to use delays to give
    the impression you can know the future and the other way is simply to
    use an educated guess as to what sort of information you expect to be
    coming from the future. It does indeed sort of work and a certain amount
    of success has been found with things like cancelling the modulations of atmospheric turbulence on laser beam transmissions.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jos Bergervoet@21:1/5 to benj on Mon Jan 27 22:52:50 2020
    On 20/01/27 8:32 PM, benj wrote:
    energy-momentum, ...
    ... > I'd say you pretty much have described the situation. What was the question? From the Jefimenko equations it is seen that all fields are
    created by charges and currents (charges moving). In Jos' world of mathematics +t and -t are totally the same and interchangeable.

Not the same, benj. +Infinity and -infinity are the same (and
    you know that very well, it's the most right-hand point on the
    Smith chart) but of course +t and -t are by no means the same,
    althi=ough they are interchangeable.

.. However
    as you point out, in our meat universe causality creates problems
    because unlike Jos the rest of us are not constantly getting messages
    from the future.

Really? You never told me that! (But I knew you were going to
    say it, of course..)

However, the reverse time cancelling thing is so
    appealing people try to take advantage of it by approximating knowing
    the future as I've mentioned before. One way is to use delays to give

Yes! Like the big delay lines after RF power amplifiers to allow
    a bypass path to be faster and cancel the distortion before it
    comes out.

use an educated guess

benj you are over-educated, I'm afraid..

as to what sort of information you expect to be
    coming from the future.

I always use the reverse mode of those transmission lines (Just
    try it! See you at Mathew's meeting: http://youtu.be/pGnMiGrYmPE ).

It does indeed sort of work and a certain amount
    of success has been found with things like cancelling the modulations of atmospheric turbulence on laser beam transmissions.

Canceling incoming radiation can be done very accurately with only
    slightly futuristic methods: <https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/20/20813054/vantablack-ultrablack-black-material-surrey-nanosystems-carbon-nanotubes-science-materials>

--
    Jos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From john mcandrew@21:1/5 to p.ki...@ic.ac.uk on Mon Jan 27 13:59:36 2020
    On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 10:24:01 AM UTC, p.ki...@ic.ac.uk wrote:

different.

hard to calculate what the exact resulting outgoing field is, but in principle it can be done. The generated field travels away, and that
    is it.

when when the incoming field will arrive, and will also not know what waveform it will take.

detect the field as it arrives, infer on the basis of that necessarily partial information what the field is going to do next, and try to
    be good enough).

#Paul

I think your previous point is far more relevant where you pointed out that in one picture you can arbitrarily define the trajectory of the charge and then assume an incoming field exists for this; whereas in the reversed case you now have a well defined
    incoming reversed radiation that requires knowing how this will affect the energy-momentum of the charge exactly. At the very least we can say it will increase the "rest" energy-momentum, but then what?

In classical EM, it looks to me that point charges requires a relativistic rigidness; so I'd tend to go for the above increased "rest" energy-momentum being re-radiated in addition to the radiation from the charge being accelerated by the original
    applied field. Hence the charge wouldn't reverse its original trajectory IMO; whereas the mainstream view is that it would and the two radiations exactly cancel.

John McAndrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jos Bergervoet@21:1/5 to p.kinsler@ic.ac.uk on Mon Jan 27 23:10:36 2020
    On 20/01/27 11:09 AM, p.kinsler@ic.ac.uk wrote:

different.

is it.

Without knowing these things, however, you still can have perfectly
    absorbing boundary conditions in theory (to satisfy benj) or in very
    good approximation, like Jaen-Pierre Bérenger's split-field approach,
    and the stretched coordinates of Weng Chen.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfectly_matched_layer

That's what any absorbing body does! But apparently it is enough to
    know the information just as it arrives. A least in practice (so benj
    can stop reading here), because we know there are very good absorbers:

<https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/20/20813054/vantablack-ultrablack-black-material-surrey-nanosystems-carbon-nanotubes-science-materials>

It will be impossible, on grounds of causality, to achieve perfect cancellation.

Well.. I admit that even ultra-black nanotube materials are not
    perfect, but is it really impossible *because of* causality? Or
    just because nothing in physical reality is perfect?

As soon as the leading edge of the incoming field
    cancelled;

Why? It is just in time, I'd say..

the cancellation process will always lag the arriving
    be good enough).

In 1+1 dimensions, we have the transmission line: a coax cable
    with correct characteristic termination will *completely* absorb
    the signal arriving at its end. The same causality arguments
    should apply here as in 3+1 dimensions. But it still works!

--
    Jos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jos Bergervoet@21:1/5 to john mcandrew on Mon Jan 27 23:46:59 2020
    On 20/01/27 10:59 PM, john mcandrew wrote:

different.

is it.

waveform it will take.

It will be impossible, on grounds of causality, to achieve perfect
    cancellation. As soon as the leading edge of the incoming field
    be good enough).

#Paul

I think your previous point is far more relevant where you pointed out that in one picture you can arbitrarily define the trajectory of the charge and then assume an incoming field exists for this; whereas in the reversed case you now have a well
    defined incoming reversed radiation that requires knowing how this will affect the energy-momentum of the charge exactly. At the very least we can say it will increase the "rest" energy-momentum, but then what?

In classical EM, it looks to me that point charges requires a relativistic rigidness;

Yes, but can any consistent definition of this "rigidness" exist
    for classical EM? I'd expect you run into inconsistencies if you
    stick to special relativity (because of the accelerations involved),
    and if you merge it with general relativity you can't have rigidness
    in any meaningful way for at least some cases. (The singularities,
    with the simple black hole collapse the most well-known).

so I'd tend to go for the above increased "rest" energy-momentum being re-radiated in addition to the radiation from the charge being accelerated by the original applied field. Hence the charge wouldn't reverse its original trajectory IMO; whereas the
    mainstream view is that it would and the two radiations exactly cancel.

It seems to become philosophical if there is a choice of relativistic
    rigidness definition. (We can never find out experimentally what is the
    correct choice, since classical EM does not exist in our universe.)

--
    Jos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From benj@21:1/5 to Jos Bergervoet on Tue Jan 28 02:47:23 2020
    On 1/27/2020 4:52 PM, Jos Bergervoet wrote:
    On 20/01/27 8:32 PM, benj wrote:
    energy-momentum, ...
     ... > I'd say you pretty much have described the situation. What was the >> question? From the Jefimenko equations it is seen that all fields are
    created by charges and currents (charges moving). In Jos' world of
    mathematics +t and -t are totally the same and interchangeable.

Not the same, benj. +Infinity and -infinity are the same (and
    you know that very well, it's the most right-hand point on the
    Smith chart) but of course +t and -t are by no means the same,
    althi=ough they are interchangeable.

.. However as you point out, in our meat universe causality creates
    problems because unlike Jos the rest of us are not constantly getting
    messages from the future.

Really? You never told me that! (But I knew you were going to
    say it, of course..)

However, the reverse time cancelling thing is so appealing people
    try to take advantage of it by approximating knowing the future as
    I've mentioned before. One way is to use delays to give

Yes! Like the big delay lines after RF power amplifiers to allow
    a bypass path to be faster and cancel the distortion before it
    comes out.

use an educated guess

benj you are over-educated, I'm afraid..

as to what sort of information you expect to be coming from the
    future.

I always use the reverse mode of those transmission lines (Just
    try it! See you at Mathew's meeting: http://youtu.be/pGnMiGrYmPE ).

Here we go! Science is always best when mathematics is more real than
    reality.

It does indeed sort of work and a certain amount of success has been
    found with things like cancelling the modulations of atmospheric
    turbulence on laser beam transmissions.

Canceling incoming radiation can be done very accurately with only
    slightly futuristic methods: <https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/20/20813054/vantablack-ultrablack-black-material-surrey-nanosystems-carbon-nanotubes-science-materials>

Hey Jos! I got a hole in me pocket!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From john mcandrew@21:1/5 to Jos Bergervoet on Fri Jan 31 11:46:44 2020
    On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 10:47:00 PM UTC, Jos Bergervoet wrote:
    On 20/01/27 10:59 PM, john mcandrew wrote:
    energy-momentum, so we have to add incoming radiation to compensate >>>>> for the original loss, which wasn't there in the original model as >>>>> outgoing radiation. In this sense, classical EM *appears* to me to >>>>> be time-asymmetric, and that's what I find interesting.

specify "the charge accelerates like this"; but in the time reversed >>>> case the charge as to respond in a manner that also self-consistently >>>> time-reverses the original specification of its motion.

different.

is it.

waveform it will take.

It will be impossible, on grounds of causality, to achieve perfect
    cancellation. As soon as the leading edge of the incoming field
    be good enough).

#Paul

I think your previous point is far more relevant where you pointed out that in one picture you can arbitrarily define the trajectory of the charge and then assume an incoming field exists for this; whereas in the reversed case you now have a well
    defined incoming reversed radiation that requires knowing how this will affect the energy-momentum of the charge exactly. At the very least we can say it will increase the "rest" energy-momentum, but then what?

In classical EM, it looks to me that point charges requires a relativistic rigidness;

Yes, but can any consistent definition of this "rigidness" exist
    for classical EM? I'd expect you run into inconsistencies if you
    stick to special relativity (because of the accelerations involved),
    and if you merge it with general relativity you can't have rigidness
    in any meaningful way for at least some cases. (The singularities,
    with the simple black hole collapse the most well-known).

so I'd tend to go for the above increased "rest" energy-momentum being re-radiated in addition to the radiation from the charge being accelerated by the original applied field. Hence the charge wouldn't reverse its original trajectory IMO; whereas
    the mainstream view is that it would and the two radiations exactly cancel.

It seems to become philosophical if there is a choice of relativistic rigidness definition. (We can never find out experimentally what is the correct choice, since classical EM does not exist in our universe.)

--
    Jos

I think the clue lies with EM radiation itself where bounded energy-momentum becomes free, propagating away from the accelerated charge at the speed of light. I interpret this as the applied field increasing the rest mass at the expense of a reduced
    total velocity, and then internal forces reducing the rest mass to its nominal value so that a radiated EM field is now added. In effect, the charge maintains a constant rest mass or relativistic rigidness everyone can agree upon. Although crude, I think
    it works OK in the simple case of a charge accelerated by a constant E or B field where we don't have to worry about what happens when the field varies over the classical radius of an electron.

On the other hand, it raises questions for me on how the Lienard-Wiechert fields work for an accelerated extended charge, lumped with a global velocity and acceleration, even though its parts will generally move with different instantaneous accelerations
    and velocities in all frames other than the proper frame. I find this very puzzling.

John McAndrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From john mcandrew@21:1/5 to john mcandrew on Mon Mar 2 11:27:49 2020
    On Saturday, October 26, 2019 at 10:57:22 PM UTC+1, john mcandrew wrote:
    Suppose a charge is accelerated by an external field, hence radiating irreversible energy-momentum given by the Lienard-Wiechert fields. We can time reverse this so that the radiation instead converges upon the charge causing it to "absorb" the
    radiation. If I'm not mistaken, this is physically interpreted as the incoming radiation converging to a singularity at the point charge, then propagating outwards again but phase reversed and now *exactly* cancelling the radiation emitted by the
    accelerated charge.

Is this exact cancelling a consequence of the standard Maxwell's equations, or is it an additional postulate?

Thanks in advance,

JMcA

After thinking about this over the past few months, I can see why Jos is correct in the comments. It's now obvious that emission and absorption have to be the time reverse of one another. What helped me was using an extended charge model accelerated by a
    constant electric field, and visualizing what's going on when it radiates and absorbs radiation. The main key is that if rigidness is enforced in the proper frame of the extended charge, in other frames the forces of constraint transform bounded energy-
    momentum of the moving charged parts into interaction field energy-momentum and vice versa as the charged parts move relative to one another.

In the famous '4/3' problem, the field energy-momentum is 1/3 higher compared to the Lorentz transformed static energy-momentum in the rest frame. The unaccounted -1/3 comes from the reduction of the moving bounded energy-momentum of the charged parts as
    they're compressed into a rigidly moving compressed elipsoid. But the total energy-momentum = bounded + interaction remains conserved at all times.

In the case of reversed incoming radiation, this cancels the original conversion of bounded energy-momentum into interaction field energy-momentum: the bounded energy-momentum is unchanged, incoming radiation is absorbed. Everything has to be exactly
    tuned, including the velocities of the charged parts to the local incoming and applied field there.

The picture for radiation is simple: bounded energy-momentum is converted into interaction field energy-momentum while it accelerates, coming to an end once moving as a rigid elipsoid in that frame.

John McAndrew.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05