• Acceptable deviation from axis value?

From rosette845@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 13 01:06:26 2017
    I hope someone can help me and direct me. I am legally blind with limited Vision in only my left eye. I am trying to replace a broken pair of my glasses that I use for my distance vision. I recently went to an optometrist, had an exam and was given a
    pair of glasses, which I could not see well out of at all. The vision with my old broken was much better. I went back to the optometrist, and he said the only thing that he thought it might be due to was the astigmatism part of the script. He didn't
    really seem too sure so we both decided that since my old script had worked well for me we would just redo the new glasses the same as my old script. I did not have the written prescription so they took the script directly from my old glasses. The only
    difference between my older glasses and the new ones being made where that my old glasses were made from polycarbonate without an anti-glare coating and the new ones were going to be a high index glass with anti-glare coating. They said they can only
    redo the glasses one time and that if they didn't work out they would not be responsible. They assured me that the high index lens would give me even clearer Vision then the polycarbonate lens and the anti-glare coating would not affect the clarity or
    the vision. I went to pick up the new glasses today and once again the script did not seem correct! I can't focus as well with the new ones as my old ones even though they insist that the script is the same. I asked if it could be the way the lens was
    placed in the frame and they said it was placed accurately and the same as my old ones. They have refused to redo the lenses and will not give me my money back which I paid out of pocket without any insurance coverage. I immediately went down to another
    optometrist office and ask them to compare the script of my new glasses with my old ones. The OD on both prescriptions was the same,-300. I have no central vision in that right eye so it is mainly used as a balancing lens. The OS in my older glasses,
    which work for me, was -4.25-75-110. The other optician said that my OS script in my new glasses is-400-75x90. I do not know what any of these numbers mean. I asked them why the two numbers at the end were so different and how that would affect my vision.
    She told me that those numbers were they axis measurements for the astigmatism. With that mean that they are 20 degrees off? From reading the previous post I would think that 20° would make a big difference in the way I am focusing. I don't know if the
    measurements of-425 and-400 would make a big difference. I am trying to find out why I am having a problem getting a simple pair of single Vision distance glasses. These glasses were not sent out to a lab. They ordered the lens and put them in the frames
    themselves. Could it be possible they are not situated right in the frames or would the difference in the prescription be the problem? Since they are washing their hands of the problem is my only recourse to purchase another pair and throw away this
    money that I paid for these glasses? I am a disabled Widow and cannot afford another pair of glasses. Is there a society that over looks the optometrists that would assist me and to getting the correct pair of lenses from this optometrist? So now I am
    back to wearing my scratched glasses which have the arms held together with paper clips! All I wanted was the same exact lenses in the new frames! I am trying to understand what is causing the problem in the focusing and need advice on what I can do to
    rectify the situation. Please help!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Joseph Gwinn@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 13 21:54:50 2017
    Wrong newsgroup. Try<https://www.optometryforums.com>.

On Sep 13, 2017, rosette845@gmail.com wrote
    (in article<587b1679-4fda-46ca-8faa-53e649c6b624@googlegroups.com>):

I hope someone can help me and direct me. I am legally blind with limited Vision in only my left eye. I am trying to replace a broken pair of my glasses that I use for my distance vision. I recently went to an optometrist, had an exam and was given a pair of glasses, which I could not see well out of at all. The vision with my old broken was much better. I went back to the optometrist, and he said the only thing that he thought it might be due to was the astigmatism part of the script. He didn't really seem too sure so we both decided that since my old script had worked well for me we would just redo the new glasses the same as my old script. I did not have the written prescription so they took the script directly from my old glasses. The only difference between my older glasses and the new ones being made where that my old glasses were made from polycarbonate without an anti-glare coating and the new ones were going to be a high index glass with anti-glare coating. They said they can only redo the glasses one time and that if they didn't work out they would not be responsible. They assured me that the high index lens would give me even clearer Vision then the polycarbonate lens and the anti-glare coating would not affect the clarity or the vision. I went to pick up the new glasses today and once again the script did not seem correct! I can't focus as well with the new ones as my old ones even though they insist that the script is the same. I asked if it could be the way the lens was placed in the frame and they said it was placed accurately and the same as my old ones. They have refused to redo the lenses and will not give me my money back which I paid out of pocket without any insurance coverage. I immediately went down to another optometrist office and ask them to compare the script of my new glasses with my old ones. The OD on both prescriptions was the same,-300. I have no central vision in that right eye so it is mainly used as a balancing lens. The OS in my older glasses, which work for me, was -4.25-75-110. The other optician said that my OS script in my new glasses is-400-75x90. I do not know what any of these numbers mean. I asked them why the two numbers at the end were so different and how that would affect my vision. She told me that those numbers were they axis measurements for the astigmatism. With that mean that they are 20 degrees off? From reading the previous post I would think that 20° would make a big difference in the way I am focusing. I don't know if the measurements of-425 and-400 would make a big difference. I am trying to find out why I am having a problem getting a simple pair of single Vision distance glasses. These glasses were not sent out to a lab. They ordered the lens and put them in the frames themselves. Could it be possible they are not situated right in the frames or would the difference in the prescription be the problem? Since they are washing their hands of the problem is my only recourse to purchase another pair and throw away this money that I paid for these glasses? I am a disabled Widow and cannot afford another pair of glasses. Is there a society that over looks the optometrists that would assist me and to getting the correct pair of lenses from this optometrist? So now I am back to wearing my scratched glasses which have the arms held together with paper clips! All I wanted was the same exact lenses in the new frames! I am trying to understand what is causing the problem in the focusing and need advice on what I can do to rectify the situation. Please help!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)