• Texas Tower shootings, 1966

From David P@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 4 23:00:02 2022
    Whitman met with Maurice Dean Heatly, the staff psychiatrist at the UT Health Center, on March 29, 1966. He referred to his visit with Heatly in his final suicide note, writing: "I talked with a Doctor once for about two hours and tried to convey to him
    my fears that I felt come [sic] overwhelming violent impulses. After one visit, I never saw the Doctor again, and since then have been fighting my mental turmoil alone, and seemingly to no avail."

Heatly's notes on the visit said, "This massive, muscular youth seemed to be oozing with hostility [...] that something seemed to be happening to him and that he didn't seem to be himself." "He readily admits having overwhelming periods of hostility with
    a very minimum of provocation. Repeated inquiries attempting to analyze his exact experiences were not too successful with the exception of his vivid reference to 'thinking about going up on the tower with a deer rifle and start shooting people.'"

On August 2, an autopsy was conducted by Coleman de Chenar (a neuropathologist at Austin State Hospital) at the funeral home. Urine and blood were removed to test for traces of amphetamines or other substances. During the autopsy, Chenar discovered a "
    pecan-sized" brain tumor, which he labeled an astrocytoma and which exhibited a small amount of necrosis. These findings were later revised by the Connally Commission: "It is the opinion of the task force that the relationship between the brain tumor and
    Charles J. Whitman's actions on the last day of his life cannot be established with clarity."

Forensic investigators have theorized that the tumor pressed against Whitman's amygdala, a part of the brain related to anxiety and fight-or-flight responses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)