• Problem with new glasses and astigmatism.

From dythlt2@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 11 14:32:52 2019
    I had my eyes tested last week and ordered a set of glasses while I was there. My left eye needed a little correction, and my right eye has an astigmatism. I have never had glasses before, my vision is just good enough to pass a driving exam without
    glasses.

I picked up my new glasses yesterday morning and something immediately felt wrong. My doctor said it will take a while for my vision to adjust, and to just wear them as much as I can. So I wore them off and on for a few hours that day, then in the
    afternoon I was home so I decided to wear them for 4 hours straight and just ignore the problem. After a while I came to the realization that my vision in my left eye was great, I could see things more clearly than I ever could before. However my right
    eye was very blurry. I noticed that if I closed my right eye and only looked through my left, things were great. But if I closed my left eye and looked through my right eye, I couldn't see half as well as without the glasses.

This didn't make sense to me, because during the eye doctor visit, the doctor was able to make me see clearly out of both eyes. Then he proceeded to show me my vision with correction, and without correction, several times, each time my eyes were able to
    focus. Yes, things felt a little weird at the time, like he described they would. (objects looking closer/farther away than normal) But regardless, my vision was improved. But no matter what I do with my new glasses, I cannot focus my right eye.

After sitting down and being curious for a bit, I started playing around with my glasses and found that if I turn the glasses 90* (so the frames are vertical) and hold the right eye lens up to my right eye, that my right eye could finally focus and I
    could see more clearly than without glasses. This made me think that somehow the lens got messed up.

So I went back into my Dr's office today and talked to them about it. The Dr was at another office and wouldn't be back until Monday. So the lady at the front desk tested my glasses to make sure the lens matched my prescription. She said the lens was
    good and proceeded to call the Dr. to describe my issue. After talking to the Dr, she told me I'm supposed to just keep trying to wear the glasses, and that my eyes just need to adjust. The Dr. will be back in a week and if I still have issues, they will
    try a different prescription (that I'll have to pay for again) that will not give me as good of vision, but will allow my eye to adjust more easily.

Is what my Dr telling me correct? Or do you think there is an actual problem with my glasses?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From The Real Bev@21:1/5 to dythlt2@gmail.com on Tue Jun 11 15:26:42 2019
    On 06/11/2019 02:32 PM, dythlt2@gmail.com wrote:

After sitting down and being curious for a bit, I started playing
    around with my glasses and found that if I turn the glasses 90* (so
    the frames are vertical) and hold the right eye lens up to my right
    eye, that my right eye could finally focus and I could see more
    clearly than without glasses. This made me think that somehow the
    lens got messed up.

Can you post your prescription?

Is what my Dr telling me correct? Or do you think there is an actual
    problem with my glasses?

I think there's something wrong with either the glasses or the
    prescription. If you can't get used to new lenses within hours
    something is wrong. I've had heavy astigmatism and farsightedness for
    60 years, and the only time I couldn't adjust after a few hours the guy
    had to remake the lens. No idea what was wrong and he didn't tell me,
    but it was SOMETHING.

--
    Cheers, Bev
    "To prove my love for you, I had these flowers killed. Put them
    in water and it will prolong their slow, agonizing death."
    (If John Malkovitch didn't say this, he should have.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)