• Do I need intermediate glasses?

From astephens1970@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 22 10:50:43 2017
    Hi all, I'm 47 and have been wearing distance glasses since my teen years. I had an eye test several months ago and as a result got my first pair of readers, which I've been using fine at home. At work I'm on a computer all day (about 80cm from my face),
    and I've been trying the readers there too. The screen is clearer (more "magnified" than with my distance specs), but I can't say I've noticed a difference as far as comfort goes. In fact I find my eyes often take a little while to get used to the
    readers when I put them on in the morning (a slight strained/tired feeling that gradually disappears over an hour or so), a problem I don't notice if I put them on at home to (say) read a book.

I'm curious to know if I would benefit from intermediates? I'm talking about single vision lenses rather than progressive computer lenses (I trialled varifocals for 6 weeks after the eye test and didn't get on with them at all, so it's put me off!).

Here is my prescription:

R sph: -2.50 cyl: -2.25 axis: 150 add: +1.00
    L sph: -2.25 cyl: -3.75 axis: 20 add: +1.00

Thanks in advance
    Andrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From The Real Bev@21:1/5 to astephens1970@gmail.com on Fri Sep 29 14:24:48 2017
    On 09/22/2017 10:50 AM, astephens1970@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi all, I'm 47 and have been wearing distance glasses since my teen years. I had an eye test several months ago and as a result got my first pair of readers, which I've been using fine at home. At work I'm on a computer all day (about 80cm from my face)
    , and I've been trying the readers there too. The screen is clearer (more "magnified" than with my distance specs), but I can't say I've noticed a difference as far as comfort goes. In fact I find my eyes often take a little while to get used to the
    readers when I put them on in the morning (a slight strained/tired feeling that gradually disappears over an hour or so), a problem I don't notice if I put them on at home to (say) read a book.

I'm curious to know if I would benefit from intermediates? I'm talking about single vision lenses rather than progressive computer lenses (I trialled varifocals for 6 weeks after the eye test and didn't get on with them at all, so it's put me off!).

Here is my prescription:

R sph: -2.50 cyl: -2.25 axis: 150 add: +1.00
    L sph: -2.25 cyl: -3.75 axis: 20 add: +1.00

Ain't astigmatism great? The best thing about having my cataracts done
    was getting the astigmatism fixed (even at $1K/lens). Mine was about as
    bad as yours, and I still have a tiny bit -- just enough so that I've
    been told by 3 different optodocs that I'd hate multifocal lenses,
    whether internal or contact :-(

I had +2.25 for reading books and +1.5 or maybe +2 for the computer.
    For anything beyond that, distance was fine.

The easy way to tell: buy a selection of readers from the dollar store
    (they work FINE, trust me!) and stack them on your real glasses to see
    what makes you happy. They're also handy for stacking up to remove
    splinters!

--
    Cheers, Bev
    (On going to war over religion:) "You're basically killing each other
    to see who's got the better imaginary friend." -- Rich Jeni

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)