• Varilux vs. Other Progressives

From jgosdin@sbcglobal.net@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 10 20:42:10 2015
    On Wednesday, July 4, 2001 at 3:41:53 PM UTC-5, MS wrote:
    i went to Costco with a glasses prescription from my optometrist ( I usually wear contact lenses, glasses just for morning/evening before/after contact insertion and removal, sometimes on weekends at home I don't bother to put
    in contacts, and wear glasses all day).

I am myopic and astigmatic, with some presbyopia due to age (49). The eye doctor gave me two prescriptions i could choose from. One were single vision lenses, but with a compromise prescription, not my full distance correction, so that I could also use them for reading, except perhaps very small print. (That's how my contact prescription is also, a compromise.)

The other prescription he gave me were for progressive lenses--higher distance correction, progressing to a reading correction.

Either would be high index, as my myopia correction is strong.

I found the price difference great though, so thought I would probably go with the single vision compromise solution, especially since i usually wear contacts.

Yesterday I went to Costco, however. I found their progressive lenses so
    much cheaper than the others, I'm tempted to get them. Their charge for the single vision lenses would be $99, for the progressives $149 (both 1.66 high index, lenses only). Their price for the progressives was similar to what others charged for the single vision. At some places, the progressives cost more than $400, lenses only!

I asked if the progressive lenses were Varilux. I was told that no, only private optometrists could use Varilux. Costco uses a different progressive lens by the same company, Essilor.

Is anyone familiar with this other progressive lens by Essilor sold by Costco? How is it different from Varilux? Is it worth getting? Or should I just go for the compromise single vision prescription now, and save up for Varilux in a few years, when my presbyopia gets worse?

Thank you for your response.

What no response yet? I have the same question!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From The Real Bev@21:1/5 to jgosdin@sbcglobal.net on Mon Oct 12 08:48:36 2015
    On 10/10/2015 08:42 PM, jgosdin@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    i went to Costco with a glasses prescription from my optometrist ( I usually >> wear contact lenses, glasses just for morning/evening before/after contact >> insertion and removal, sometimes on weekends at home I don't bother to put >> in contacts, and wear glasses all day).

I am myopic and astigmatic, with some presbyopia due to age (49). The eye
    doctor gave me two prescriptions i could choose from. One were single vision >> lenses, but with a compromise prescription, not my full distance correction, >> so that I could also use them for reading, except perhaps very small print. >> (That's how my contact prescription is also, a compromise.)

The other prescription he gave me were for progressive lenses--higher
    distance correction, progressing to a reading correction.

I found the price difference great though, so thought I would probably go
    with the single vision compromise solution, especially since i usually wear >> contacts.

much cheaper than the others, I'm tempted to get them. Their charge for the >> single vision lenses would be $99, for the progressives $149 (both 1.66 high >> index, lenses only). Their price for the progressives was similar to what
    others charged for the single vision. At some places, the progressives cost >> more than $400, lenses only!

I asked if the progressive lenses were Varilux. I was told that no, only
    private optometrists could use Varilux. Costco uses a different progressive >> lens by the same company, Essilor.

Is anyone familiar with this other progressive lens by Essilor sold by
    Costco? How is it different from Varilux? Is it worth getting? Or should I >> just go for the compromise single vision prescription now, and save up for >> Varilux in a few years, when my presbyopia gets worse?

The people who could answer such questions are long gone, unfortunately.
    My mom tried progressive lenses and hated them, choosing trifocals
    instead. Since I've had my astigmatism and farsightedness corrected
    with the cataract operation I got some 99-cent progressive sun/reading
    glasses which I absolutely hated -- the vision was clear, but the
    head-bobbing required to find the correct spot was maddening.

I seem to remember that the shape of the 'saddle' of various brands of progressive lenses differs, and that some people prefer one type, others another. Costco doesn't sell shit, with the exception of Cattle Drive
    chili and Smucker's vs Knott's preserves, so I don't think that 'better'
    is meaningful -- just what you prefer, and you probably can't discover
    that until you try.

Re contacts -- my daughter recently tried monovision (one eye for
    distance, the other for reading) and loves it. I accidentally tried
    something like that by putting my contacts in the wrong eyes (heavy astigmatism, 2.5D difference between eyes) and really liked the 'near'
    effect, but hated the blur in the distance. I'm thinking of trying
    multi-focal contacts just for convenience, but haven't done it yet.

--
    Cheers,
    Bev
    Q. What's the difference between Batman and Bill Gates?
    A. When Batman fought the Penguin, he won.
    -- J. Levine

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lew@21:1/5 to The Real Bev on Mon Oct 12 16:20:12 2015
    On 2015-10-12, The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
    On 10/10/2015 08:42 PM, jgosdin@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    i went to Costco with a glasses prescription from my optometrist ( I usually
    wear contact lenses, glasses just for morning/evening before/after contact >>> insertion and removal, sometimes on weekends at home I don't bother to put >>> in contacts, and wear glasses all day).

I am myopic and astigmatic, with some presbyopia due to age (49). The eye >>> doctor gave me two prescriptions i could choose from. One were single vision
    lenses, but with a compromise prescription, not my full distance correction,
    so that I could also use them for reading, except perhaps very small print. >>> (That's how my contact prescription is also, a compromise.)

The other prescription he gave me were for progressive lenses--higher
    distance correction, progressing to a reading correction.

I found the price difference great though, so thought I would probably go >>> with the single vision compromise solution, especially since i usually wear >>> contacts.

Yesterday I went to Costco, however. I found their progressive lenses so >>> much cheaper than the others, I'm tempted to get them. Their charge for the >>> single vision lenses would be $99, for the progressives $149 (both 1.66 high
    index, lenses only). Their price for the progressives was similar to what >>> others charged for the single vision. At some places, the progressives cost >>> more than $400, lenses only!

I asked if the progressive lenses were Varilux. I was told that no, only >>> private optometrists could use Varilux. Costco uses a different progressive >>> lens by the same company, Essilor.

Is anyone familiar with this other progressive lens by Essilor sold by
    Costco? How is it different from Varilux? Is it worth getting? Or should I >>> just go for the compromise single vision prescription now, and save up for >>> Varilux in a few years, when my presbyopia gets worse?

The people who could answer such questions are long gone, unfortunately.
    My mom tried progressive lenses and hated them, choosing trifocals
    instead. Since I've had my astigmatism and farsightedness corrected
    with the cataract operation I got some 99-cent progressive sun/reading glasses which I absolutely hated -- the vision was clear, but the head-bobbing required to find the correct spot was maddening.

I seem to remember that the shape of the 'saddle' of various brands of progressive lenses differs, and that some people prefer one type, others another. Costco doesn't sell shit, with the exception of Cattle Drive
    chili and Smucker's vs Knott's preserves, so I don't think that 'better'
    is meaningful -- just what you prefer, and you probably can't discover
    that until you try.

Re contacts -- my daughter recently tried monovision (one eye for
    distance, the other for reading) and loves it. I accidentally tried something like that by putting my contacts in the wrong eyes (heavy astigmatism, 2.5D difference between eyes) and really liked the 'near' effect, but hated the blur in the distance. I'm thinking of trying multi-focal contacts just for convenience, but haven't done it yet.

Not sure if all the states does this, but Calif DMV has found that
    "many" people with monovision correction fail the eye test. The
    reason stated was that 20/40 was with BOTH eyes & there is a check
    of vision of each eye & the "bad" eye had to pass the 20/70 vision.

Found this when I had to go to DMV to renew my DL this year & did
    read the info on the DMV web pages.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ruth.pettler@bhghome.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 26 15:15:28 2016
    On Wednesday, July 4, 2001 at 1:41:53 PM UTC-7, MS wrote:
    i went to Costco with a glasses prescription from my optometrist ( I usually wear contact lenses, glasses just for morning/evening before/after contact insertion and removal, sometimes on weekends at home I don't bother to put
    in contacts, and wear glasses all day).

I am myopic and astigmatic, with some presbyopia due to age (49). The eye doctor gave me two prescriptions i could choose from. One were single vision lenses, but with a compromise prescription, not my full distance correction, so that I could also use them for reading, except perhaps very small print. (That's how my contact prescription is also, a compromise.)

The other prescription he gave me were for progressive lenses--higher distance correction, progressing to a reading correction.

I found the price difference great though, so thought I would probably go with the single vision compromise solution, especially since i usually wear contacts.

much cheaper than the others, I'm tempted to get them. Their charge for the single vision lenses would be $99, for the progressives $149 (both 1.66 high index, lenses only). Their price for the progressives was similar to what others charged for the single vision. At some places, the progressives cost more than $400, lenses only!

I asked if the progressive lenses were Varilux. I was told that no, only private optometrists could use Varilux. Costco uses a different progressive lens by the same company, Essilor.

Is anyone familiar with this other progressive lens by Essilor sold by Costco? How is it different from Varilux? Is it worth getting? Or should I just go for the compromise single vision prescription now, and save up for Varilux in a few years, when my presbyopia gets worse?

I would like to know that as well. I decided to go with Kaiser (Varilux). But, don't know why since Kirkland is more that $100 cheaper.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05