• TURP procedure for BPH scheduled- Should I or Shouldn't I?

From rons.wv@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 21 12:04:22 2018
    In a large Ontario Hospital I was told by an experienced urologist (after a cystoscopy) that I need to have a Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) due to my ongoing typical but very bad BPH symptoms.

During the cystoscopy the urologist could see that my prostate was very enlarged and was obstructing the urethra.

The urologist said I definitely needed a (TURP) and that it was the only way to solve my problem and possibly avoid future serious bladder or kidney problems that he said we're almost inevitable down the line.

The Urologist is very experienced though I am scared and I'm apprehensive about going through with the TURP surgery. I have read mainly negative stories about Post-TURP experiences. And now I'm very apprehensive about getting it I don't know if I should
    or I should not? Can anyone who is had one give me any advice?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From DerekF@21:1/5 to windsky5000@gmail.com on Fri Mar 23 00:09:45 2018
    On 21/03/2018 19:04, windsky5000@gmail.com wrote:
    In a large Ontario Hospital I was told by an experienced urologist (after a cystoscopy) that I need to have a Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) due to my ongoing typical but very bad BPH symptoms.

During the cystoscopy the urologist could see that my prostate was very enlarged and was obstructing the urethra.

The urologist said I definitely needed a (TURP) and that it was the only way to solve my problem and possibly avoid future serious bladder or kidney problems that he said we're almost inevitable down the line.

The Urologist is very experienced though I am scared and I'm apprehensive about going through with the TURP surgery. I have read mainly negative stories about Post-TURP experiences. And now I'm very apprehensive about getting it I don't know if I
    should or I should not? Can anyone who is had one give me any advice?

On 21/03/2018 19:04, windsky5000@gmail.com wrote:
    In a large Ontario Hospital I was told by an experienced urologist
    (after a cystoscopy) that I need to have a Transurethral resection of
    the prostate (TURP) due to my ongoing typical but very bad BPH symptoms.

During the cystoscopy the urologist could see that my prostate was
    very enlarged and was obstructing the urethra.

The urologist said I definitely needed a (TURP) and that it was the
    only way to solve my problem and possibly avoid future serious bladder
    or kidney problems that he said we're almost inevitable down the line.

The Urologist is very experienced though I am scared and I'm
    apprehensive about going through with the TURP surgery. I have read
    mainly negative stories about Post-TURP experiences. And now I'm very apprehensive about getting it I don't know if I should or I should not?
    Can anyone who is had one give me any advice?
    As far back as 1995 I turned down a TURP knowing of the likely
    problems it would cause. I knew that laser surgery was in the pipeline
    and waited for that. It was a long wait and I did not get GL PVP until
    2004. Now there is a whole range of laser procedures and other treatments.
    I'm in the UK but the information on this link if you plough through it
    applies everywhere.
    https://www.nice.org.uk/search?q=BPH
    They all work for most people but there are exceptions. GL worked for me
    and life was back to normal in three days. I don't know how many old
    posts you managed to download as this site is little used now but I have
    kept ones since 2003 and so have read of many successes and some failures. Patient.info a UK site is the most used site now but tends to be
    inhabited by a group who pass on bad results or are fearful of any surgery. https://patient.info/forums/discuss/nice-prostate-article-links--645003
    Good luck with the choice you make.
    Derek

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed@21:1/5 to rons.wv@gmail.com on Sat Mar 24 11:54:24 2018
    On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 12:04:22 -0700 (PDT), "windsky5000@gmail.com" <rons.wv@gmail.com> wrote:

The Urologist is very experienced though I am scared and I'm apprehensive about going through with the TURP surgery. I have read mainly negative stories about Post-TURP experiences. And now I'm very apprehensive about getting it I don't know if I should
    or I should not? Can anyone who is had one give me any advice?

I had a TURP in 2009. Like you, I hesitated and postponed and devised
    ways to live with my BPH condition. I considered PVP and consulted
    more than one urologist. Several times I experienced complete blockage
    and had to get unplugged at Emergency. I learned to self-catheterize.
    All this to avoid a TURP.

At the time, the info I was getting was that PVP was much milder than
    a TURP, because less prostatic tissue was removed. It gave relief but
    required repeat surgery sooner. Less pain, less gain. PVP is just a
    kind of TURP, using a laser instead of a knife.

A regular TURP is able to remove much more tissue because it is not
    limited by the power of the laser. It is more drastic and may require
    a longer hospital stay but it will be longer before it needs to be
    redone. Maybe it will never need to be redone.

There are details that are important, and I don't remember them that
    well any more... but they include things like bleeding and how that
    relates to prostate size, irrigation of the tract during the procedure
    and the possibility of shock because of absorption of the fluid, and
    so on. These factors vary depending on whether the prostate tissue is
    cut or burned.

Besides that, there is the matter of risk. Surgery carries a risk. The
    greatest risks are bleeding and infection, but there is also a risk of
    severing nerves and the consequences thereof.

But there is also a risk if you do nothing. Urinary retention can
    severely stress the bladder and you might lose the elasticity, which
    will cause problems every time you have to pee. I got yelled at by one
    doctor after a retention episode. The doc warned me about the
    consequences to the bladder. There is also a danger to the kidneys if
    they have to put up with high pressure constantly.

I really like my kidneys, and also my bladder, so after some years of dithering, my fears of a TURP gave way to a fear of damaging my other
    organs.

I went with the advice of my urologist, who is in the best position to
    decide on the best measures to take. My prostate was big (150 g) and
    he decided for TURP. The procedure went pretty well - quite a bit of
    bleeding, but that was anticipated.

It's been 9 years now and I have no more symptoms. I'm cured. There is
    no indication that another TURP will be needed in the foreseeable
    future.

What you do depends on many things. Everybody is different. Read,
    listen, consider... the most important info will probably come from
    your urologist. Good luck with your decision!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From m.balarama@21:1/5 to winds...@gmail.com on Fri May 11 15:27:04 2018
    On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 2:04:23 PM UTC-5, winds...@gmail.com wrote:

The Urologist is very experienced though I am scared and I'm apprehensive about going through with the TURP surgery. I have read mainly negative stories about Post-TURP experiences. And now I'm very apprehensive about getting it I don't know if I

I did what the urologist was more comfortable with--I did a turp--was great---I have less energy--9 months later--but he says I will get more energy---I am glad i did it---no problems in the bathroom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hbv2020@gmail.com@21:1/5 to winds...@gmail.com on Fri Dec 14 14:53:53 2018
    On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 3:04:23 PM UTC-4, winds...@gmail.com wrote:

I have read that the holium laser can remove much more prostate tissue than PVP. Another new treatment is PAE (prostate artery embolism). A radiologist finds the arteries feeding the prostate and blocks them with micro-pellets, and the prostate then
    shrinks. My partner just had this and is seeing results after a day or two. No surgery required, just the insertion of a catheter in your groin or wrist, so the radiologist can access your arteries. Only down side maybe the radiation from the
    fluoroscope. An even more recent development is Aquablation. This procedure is TURP-like, but uses a high pressure water stream to remove the tissue, requiring no heat as do the lasers. It is robotic controlled in co-ordination with an MRI.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clark@21:1/5 to winds...@gmail.com on Sat Dec 15 14:34:10 2018
    On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 2:04:23 PM UTC-5, winds...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi
    Your urologist forgot to mention the easiest, least invasive method to take the pressure off your bladder and kidneys: self-cathetering.

I've been self-cathetering for several months now...and it is a non-event. I actually LIKE it, because altho there is no pain when you retain too much, having the required equipment and knowledge to relieve that pressure whenever and wherever you wish...
    gives a great sense of self-help and independence. And as that urine squirts out of the end of the catheter, somehow, somewhere, there is a sense of relaxation.

And the nice thing is that if you self-cath just before bedtime, you usually can sleep peacefully all night. No constant ups and downs! Bladder is relaxed; kidneys are fully drained; you're in dreamland to stay!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05