• What causes frequent bowel movement and flatulence after having antibio

From =?UTF-8?B?4oqZ77y/4oqZ?=@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 22 21:27:37 2017
    Ask a Doctor Online

Hi, can I answer your health question? Please type your question here...
    ASK A DOCTOR »
    ASK A DOCTOR »

Dr. Charles S Narasi
    Gastroenterologist

Dr. Gourdas
    Gastroenterologist

Dr. Poorna Chandra
    Gastroenterologist

Dr. Amit Jain ,Gastroenterologist
    Answered : 1487 Questions
    Ask me a Question » Answer RatingVery Good
    What causes frequent bowel movement and flatulence after having antibiotics for prostatitis? Hi doc

Within the last year I have been on antibiotics for prostatitis.

I recovered from that problem but then I had a ongoing problem with frequent bowel movements flatulence after these two problems have now been resolved.

However one problem remains I have a slight pain in the lower abdominal region above belly button. Slight discomfort. I also when inhaling air felt a inflamed feeling in my chest.

I have been asked to take to take the antacids but they haven't worked. That has cured however the inflamed feeling when I inhale.

. I've had a physical check up and his said everything is fine no swelling bowel noises are fine liver etc are all fine.

What may be causimg the discomfort? It is above the belly button? Only a slight concern think my anxiety is making it worse maybe?

May it be a infection or anything like that? Can I take some penicillin for it. I have tried pain killers but there is still a uncomfortable feeling sometimes.I had ciprofloxacin pack of 56 x5 within the last year. - Posted Wed, 23 Dec 2015 in Digestion
    and Bowels

Dr. Amit Jain
    23 minutes later
    Brief Answer:
    It is post infectious IBS and there is no need of taking penicillin

Detailed Answer:
    Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

It appears to be post infectious IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) as it happens after infection and intake of antibiotics. Moreover since physical examination is completely ok, this again goes in favour of Postinfectious IBS.

There is no need for antibiotic (penicillin) again

If I had been your doctor I would have treated you in following manner:
    1. Gut specific antispasmodic agent like otilonium bromide which is available OTC. Brand name Tablet menoctyl to be taken thrice in a day half hr before meals

2. A course of probiotic containing sacchromyces boulardi (Econorm) once in a day (OTC). It will help in increasing good bacteria in the intestine

3. Tablet rifaximin 400mg twice a day for 14 days (OTC). It is gut specific antibiotic and has no sytemic absorption. It will kill the abnormal bacteria increased due to intake of prolonged antibiotics

4. Cap simethicone thrice a day. It is very useful in removing excessive gas in tummy

All above mentioned medicines are available OTC and dont need any prescription

Among diet avoid dairy products especially milk in any form.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.
    Above answer was peer-reviewed by

Dr. Yogesh D
    Follow-up Question Thank you sir from your detailed response.

My bowel movements flatulence has all gone better.

I'm really happy after your response as I had thought it is something very serious as I'm a healthy lad.

Thanks for your reassurance are you saying that it is the bad bacteria round the belly button area which is causing a problem?

As it comes I have tried the probiotic bacillus can't remember full name and it hasn't worked, why is the one you recommended used? Is it stronger etc

Also sir j am from the UK where can I find rifaxmine from over the counter? Is it prescription drug sir, where can I purchase from.

Will this all make me normal?

I haven't got IBS for life have I? - 21 minutes later

Dr. Amit Jain
    25 minutes later
    Brief Answer:
    Rifaximin comes by brand name Targaxan in UK

Detailed Answer:
    Welcome back.

There is lot of literature that prbiotic containing sacchromyces boulardii is the most useful probiotic as it has proven better efficacy, does not require cold chain, antibiotic resistant

Type RIFAXIMIN, I guess you have typed wrong.

I am not sure I have found on internet that is available online from eurodrugstore.eu

It is available in UK by brand name of Targaxan, you may check it on internet

Since it occurs after infection, I am hopeful that it will be temporary

Wish you a good health Above answer was peer-reviewed by

Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
    Follow-up Question Symptoms of IBS are very different to what I'm describing

The only symptom I have is pain in the tummy area and I have taken a lot of antibiotics so I don't think I have IBS.

What are your thoughts on that?

- 50 minutes later

Dr. Amit Jain
    2 hours later
    Brief Answer:
    it appears to be ibs

Detailed Answer:
    Welcome back.

It all started after getting infection for which you have taken antibiotics. Initially it started with increased frequency of stool and flatulence. However they improved with time and what was left was lower abdominal pain. And these features do
    aggravate with stress.And there is no finding on physical examination also. And there is no alarming feature too.These are typical features of post infectious ibs.

I hope I have answered your query. Wish you a good health Above answer was peer-reviewed by

Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj

http://yaoxunzhao.com/premiumquestions/What-causes-frequent-bowel-movement-and-flatulence-after-having-antibiotics-for-prostatitis/221283

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)