• tmds and nti

From Alex S@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 21 16:02:46 2020
    Just chanced on this thread. Here's some info for anyone who is reading.

NTI's and partial-coverage night guards in general can cause the uncovered teeth to over-erupt, creating occlusal problems. It sounds like the OP is dealing with this exact issue. Overgrown molars can in turn create TMJ issues, headaches, etc. See this
    paper in the British Dental Journal (and the follow-up by the same author a year later): https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30361571/

Sadly, I've been suffering with this issue for years. I'm a clencher and I wore an upper, hard plastic NG for 10+ years that went up to tooth #6, exposing #7 and #8 to over-eruption. In addition the NG seems to have opened my bite somewhat, and I've lost
    part of my canine guidance on the left side. This causes my TMJ to push against the soft tissues near the left ear and gives me a painful feeling of inflamation that spreads up and down into the nearby muscles, neck, left shoulder, etc. I tried a bite
    adjustment to correct the problem but it wasn't enough to bring my bite into balance. Now i'm looking into orthodontics. Best of luck to anyone in the same boat.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)