• Intermittent needle-like pain in my tooth

From Mario Micro@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 11 14:30:28 2019
    I went to my dentist today for a routine check. I told him I have an intermittent pain on one of my teeth (could be a molar or premolar, I can't tell). It's a bit like a needle. It only lasts a second, but when it does it's quite annoying.

A rx could not find any cavities. The dentist said it could be a reflex from pain in other teeth (I'm going to have a root canal at the other side of the mouth) and if it gets worse, just take a painkiller.

Any ideas?

MM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Steven Bornfeld@21:1/5 to Mario Micro on Wed Dec 11 12:03:57 2019
    On 12/11/2019 8:30 AM, Mario Micro wrote:
    I went to my dentist today for a routine check. I told him I have an intermittent pain on one of my teeth (could be a molar or premolar, I can't tell). It's a bit like a needle. It only lasts a second, but when it does it's quite annoying.

A rx could not find any cavities. The dentist said it could be a reflex from pain in other teeth (I'm going to have a root canal at the other side of the mouth) and if it gets worse, just take a painkiller.

Any ideas?

MM

It is extremely unlikely to be referred pain from the other side.
    Occasionally there will be referred pain from an adjacent tooth or even
    a tooth in the opposite jaw.
    If you get this pain when you bite down, it is likely to be a fracture somewhere. Since cracks often begin underneath a filling, they can be difficult to detect. There are some low-tech tools (like the Tooth
    Slooth) that can sometimes localize the problem.
    If it is in fact a fracture, eventually the problem eventually becomes
    obvious. If the pain is severe, sometimes the dentist will have to make his/her best guess and start removing fillings.
    If the pain is spontaneous, then it is less likely to be a fracture. It
    may be decay, abscess or sometimes an extraoral source such as a
    trigeminal neuralgia. It can take determination and time to locate a
    source. Keeping a careful record of when you feel the pain and what you
    are doing when you feel it can narrow down the suspects.

Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)