• Drilling Without Anesthetic (And With Pain)

From susyclost@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Steven L. on Tue Jan 9 07:54:22 2018
    On Friday, September 5, 2008 at 7:32:54 AM UTC-4, Steven L. wrote:
    I distinctly remember that when I was a child (before puberty), circa
    1960, my dentist *never* gave me Novocaine or any sort of anesthetic
    prior to starting the drilling. Instead, I just grabbed the arms of the dental chair and hung on for dear life. When the drill would hit a
    nerve, I would flinch but remain seated. My mom would be standing
    behind me saying to me, "If you get out of that chair, I'll break your
    arm!" So that's why I remained seated. At no time did either my mom or
    my dentist discuss giving me any sort of anesthetic to numb the pain,
    which was intense as the drill got close to a nerve.

I'm *NOT* making this up. This was the dentistry I received until the 1970s. When I got older and got a new dentist who gave me anesthetic, I remember being amazed: Dentistry didn't have to be excruciatingly
    painful after all! As a child, I had assumed that excruciating pain was just the way dentistry was supposed to be.

Does any of this sound familiar to older folks here? Was anesthetic
    only started in the 1960s, or did it exist before that? Did
    old-fashioned dentists back then eschew anesthetic for their patients?

Anybody else here just forego anesthetic and accept the pain of drilling
    as just part of the dentistry process?

--
    Steven L.
    Email: sdlitvin@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
    Remove the NOSPAM before replying to me.

The exact thing happened to me too. We must be from the same era. To this day I am terrified to go to a dentist. I in fact get put to sleep if they are to do any drilling. The memory of that drill hitting a nerve never has left me and I am 66 years
    old now! Thanks for sharing your story, don't feel I am alone in this. Sue

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From liisabjork@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 1 00:48:40 2020
    Yes. I grew up in the 80s and my mom never allowed the dentist to give Novocain either when I had cavities fixed with drilling.
    I don't know why. I think it was to punish for getting cavities and that she had to pay. But maybe to save money ? We didn't have much money.
    It's the worst pain ever.i understand everything you went through .
    I'm still pissed about it.its sick.
    First time I had Novocain was when I got out of high school. She made us pay for our own dental bills when we got into high school. I remember I had as 1000 $ root canal I had to pay for .

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From liisabjork@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 1 01:12:24 2020
    I never had any anesthetic (novacaine) when I was going to get cavities filled growing up. I never understood why , because my mom just insisted no novacaine.
    The pain was the absolute worst. I rather tear my acl than experience the pain of a drill affecting the nerve.(I've torn both acls completely already In The past.
    I had my opinions on why my mom didn't allow for it. I have multiple opinions. She grew up in Finland born in 1942. It was war time so maybe they didn't use it back then there in Finland?so maybe she just followed suit with us (her children without really thinking about it. (But if she ever had work done without it wouldn't you
    think she rather us have it because of the down right pain? In the 80s.
    I also think we never received it because we didn't have as lot of money.but she was very insistent of us having dentistry care all through out out child hood.checkups every 6 months.
    I also think sometimes that she was punishing us for getting cavities that she had to pay for.so maybe we would take better care of our teeth after feeling the pain of drilling into teeth .
    I feel she had a bit of a dark side toward things because I never was brought to the doctors for anything. Even broken bones. Colds . Severe sore throats.we had school physicals done by my aunt who was a cardiologist in Finland . When she would visit or
    when we went over seas for the summer to visit family.
    It's just idiotic not to give at least the option to a Child.It was never an option because she already made the choice for us.
    I just need to read in the practice of novacaine during the time she was growing up so maybe I won't feel she was being indictive.
    I commented on your reply because you provided some history on the practice of novacaine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From liisabjork@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 1 01:17:13 2020
    High speed ? Low speed?
    I don't care what speed it is when you have it going into the nerve. It was always so painful.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Bornfeld@21:1/5 to liisabjork@gmail.com on Sun Mar 1 10:22:18 2020
    On 3/1/2020 4:12 AM, liisabjork@gmail.com wrote:
    I never had any anesthetic (novacaine) when I was going to get cavities filled growing up. I never understood why , because my mom just insisted no novacaine.
    The pain was the absolute worst. I rather tear my acl than experience the pain of a drill affecting the nerve.(I've torn both acls completely already In The past.
    I had my opinions on why my mom didn't allow for it. I have multiple opinions.
    She grew up in Finland born in 1942. It was war time so maybe they didn't use it back then there in Finland?so maybe she just followed suit with us (her children without really thinking about it. (But if she ever had work done without it wouldn't you
    think she rather us have it because of the down right pain? In the 80s.
    I also think we never received it because we didn't have as lot of money.but she was very insistent of us having dentistry care all through out out child hood.checkups every 6 months.
    I also think sometimes that she was punishing us for getting cavities that she had to pay for.so maybe we would take better care of our teeth after feeling the pain of drilling into teeth .
    I feel she had a bit of a dark side toward things because I never was brought to the doctors for anything. Even broken bones. Colds . Severe sore throats.we had school physicals done by my aunt who was a cardiologist in Finland . When she would visit
    or when we went over seas for the summer to visit family.
    It's just idiotic not to give at least the option to a Child.It was never an option because she already made the choice for us.
    I just need to read in the practice of novacaine during the time she was growing up so maybe I won't feel she was being indictive.
    I commented on your reply because you provided some history on the practice of novacaine.

I can't speak to what practices existed in Finland when you were growing up. But I doubt very much that local anesthetic would have been withheld for operative dental treatment.
    When I was a child dentists frequently did not routinely give local anesthetic. But I am not too much younger than your mom. Dentists in
    my experience back then treated a far greater number of patients in a
    day, and time was short. If you gave an injection, you then had to wait
    for it to work. Unless a dentist was working multiple patients at the
    same time, that was not practical.
    Not using local anesthetic when it is needed often leads to substandard dentistry. That was the case for me. I'm sure I was moving around in
    the chair as my dentist tried to work on me, and when I became a dentist
    we got a good laugh looking at the shallow, irregular fillings my
    dentist had placed. One by one, they fell out, and they needed
    replacement. Needless to say, I received local anesthetic when that was
    done.

Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cremona@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 10 07:20:31 2020
    Hi Steve,

How are "things"?

Steve M. from Michigan

Violin music rules

:-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cremona@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 10 09:00:47 2020
    Not for President

I don't want to get campaign mail from either party for the rest of my life. I do not care for any candidates being offered.

I would prefer to vote: NONE OF THE ABOVE

Is Pat Paulsen running this year? Being deceased should not effect his ability to run the country.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Bornfeld@21:1/5 to Cremona on Tue Mar 10 11:35:39 2020
    On 3/10/2020 10:20 AM, Cremona wrote:
    Hi Steve,

How are "things"?

Steve M. from Michigan

Violin music rules

:-)

How nice to hear from you. You voting today?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Bornfeld@21:1/5 to Cremona on Tue Mar 10 15:08:05 2020
    On 3/10/2020 12:00 PM, Cremona wrote:
    Not for President

I don't want to get campaign mail from either party for the rest of my life. I do not care for any candidates being offered.

I would prefer to vote: NONE OF THE ABOVE

Is Pat Paulsen running this year? Being deceased should not effect his ability to run the country.

LOL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From janemolsher@googlemail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 25 11:26:10 2020
    I am terrified by the drill now after having so many, apparently not needed, fillings without anaesthesia. It’s a pain that is hard to describe and it’s left me very phobic about drills. I had a child without any sort of anaesthetic and I am not
    sure which is worst!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David Ellis@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 6 05:50:17 2021
    I used to get dragged to a dentist in Cambridge, UK, in the pre-fluoride 60s, and he never once used local anaesthetic for cavities. His drill was of the drive and pulleys kind. He used to give one a button to press that supposedly allowed the patient to
    stop the drilling if it got too painful, but it was clear from his attitude that he didn't expect you to let go. My mother rewarded me with a bag of sweets after every visit to the dentist. Completely unbelievable now - in every way.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ottavio Caruso@21:1/5 to David Ellis on Tue Jul 6 15:22:06 2021
    On 06/07/2021 13:50, David Ellis wrote:
    I used to get dragged to a dentist in Cambridge, UK, in the pre-fluoride 60s, and he never once used local anaesthetic for cavities. His drill was of the drive and pulleys kind. He used to give one a button to press that supposedly allowed the patient
    to stop the drilling if it got too painful, but it was clear from his attitude that he didn't expect you to let go. My mother rewarded me with a bag of sweets after every visit to the dentist. Completely unbelievable now - in every way.

Is this actually true or is it a parody of Monty Python's four Yorkshiremen?

--
    Ottavio Caruso

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05