• Biohacker edits own myostatin gene

From moviePig@21:1/5 to Taka on Tue Nov 21 10:54:49 2017
    On 11/21/2017 10:46 AM, Taka wrote:
    This Biohacker Became The First Person To Edit His Own DNA

Josiah Zayner is the first person known to have edited his own DNA and he showed the world just how easy it is to do, live-streaming the process on his blog, "Science, Art, Beauty". Zayner claims this was the second time he has genetically modified
    himself.

Using CRISPR, a relatively new gene-editing technique, he removed the protein Myostatin from an area in his forearm. Myostatin inhibits muscle growth so he should, at least in theory, notice an increase in muscle mass in this area after the experiment.

The process involved just one piece of DNA that contains a protein (Cas9) and a guide RNA (gRNA), which essentially tells the protein where to go. When the modified DNA was injected into his forearm, the protein and gRNA targeted and then deleted the
    myostatin gene.

Whether he'll be gifted with superhuman strength, we'll have to wait and see but, as he says on his blog, that was never the point of the experiment.

"The point is that we are on the cusp of humanity changing," said Zayner.

"This is the first of many people who will change their genomes. This will happen for medical reasons, for science, athletics or maybe just because people wanted to or were bored."

Now an ardent proponent of citizen science and a self-identified biohacker, Zayner is an ex-NASA scientist, who worked on developing bacteria to support human life on Mars. His goal today is to democratize science and provide everyone with the tools
    for do-it-yourself biology and genetic engineering – a somewhat controversial ambition. Some experts have expressed concern that it could lead to a poorly regulated community of DIY scientists that lack the oversight of traditional scientific
    institutions but others are far more positive.

"This is the first time in the history of the Earth that humans are no longer slaves to the genetics they are born with," said Zayner.
    "As I write this, the FDA is in the process of approving the first human gene therapy treatment. Still, it's too slow for me, clinical trials have been going on since before 2008. I want to accelerate that. I want people to have a choice about their
    genetics."

SOURCE: http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/this-biohacker-became-the-first-person-to-edit-his-own-dna/

Good story...

--

- - - - - - - -
    YOUR taste at work...
    http://www.moviepig.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Taka@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 21 07:46:26 2017

Josiah Zayner is the first person known to have edited his own DNA and he showed the world just how easy it is to do, live-streaming the process on his blog, "Science, Art, Beauty". Zayner claims this was the second time he has genetically modified
    himself.

Using CRISPR, a relatively new gene-editing technique, he removed the protein Myostatin from an area in his forearm. Myostatin inhibits muscle growth so he should, at least in theory, notice an increase in muscle mass in this area after the experiment.

The process involved just one piece of DNA that contains a protein (Cas9) and a guide RNA (gRNA), which essentially tells the protein where to go. When the modified DNA was injected into his forearm, the protein and gRNA targeted and then deleted the
    myostatin gene.

Whether he'll be gifted with superhuman strength, we'll have to wait and see but, as he says on his blog, that was never the point of the experiment.

"This is the first of many people who will change their genomes. This will happen for medical reasons, for science, athletics or maybe just because people wanted to or were bored."

Now an ardent proponent of citizen science and a self-identified biohacker, Zayner is an ex-NASA scientist, who worked on developing bacteria to support human life on Mars. His goal today is to democratize science and provide everyone with the tools for
    do-it-yourself biology and genetic engineering – a somewhat controversial ambition. Some experts have expressed concern that it could lead to a poorly regulated community of DIY scientists that lack the oversight of traditional scientific institutions
    but others are far more positive.

"This is the first time in the history of the Earth that humans are no longer slaves to the genetics they are born with," said Zayner.
    "As I write this, the FDA is in the process of approving the first human gene therapy treatment. Still, it's too slow for me, clinical trials have been going on since before 2008. I want to accelerate that. I want people to have a choice about their
    genetics."

SOURCE: http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/this-biohacker-became-the-first-person-to-edit-his-own-dna/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Taka@21:1/5 to moviePig on Tue Nov 21 20:46:11 2017
    On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 12:54:52 AM UTC+9, moviePig wrote:

himself.

Using CRISPR, a relatively new gene-editing technique, he removed the protein Myostatin from an area in his forearm. Myostatin inhibits muscle growth so he should, at least in theory, notice an increase in muscle mass in this area after the
    experiment.

myostatin gene.

Now an ardent proponent of citizen science and a self-identified biohacker, Zayner is an ex-NASA scientist, who worked on developing bacteria to support human life on Mars. His goal today is to democratize science and provide everyone with the tools
    for do-it-yourself biology and genetic engineering – a somewhat controversial ambition. Some experts have expressed concern that it could lead to a poorly regulated community of DIY scientists that lack the oversight of traditional scientific

genetics."

Good story...

--

- - - - - - - -
    YOUR taste at work...

Will future bodybuilding turn into a genome building?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From moviePig@21:1/5 to Taka on Wed Nov 22 09:35:29 2017
    On 11/21/2017 11:46 PM, Taka wrote:
    On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 12:54:52 AM UTC+9, moviePig wrote:

himself.

Using CRISPR, a relatively new gene-editing technique, he removed the protein Myostatin from an area in his forearm. Myostatin inhibits muscle growth so he should, at least in theory, notice an increase in muscle mass in this area after the
    experiment.

myostatin gene.

"The point is that we are on the cusp of humanity changing," said Zayner. >>>

genetics."

Good story...

Enough to play hell with sports-ethics rules, anyway.

--

- - - - - - - -
    YOUR taste at work...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Winston@21:1/5 to Taka on Fri Nov 24 10:37:37 2017
    Taka <taka0038@gmail.com> asked:

My guess is that performance-enhancing gene modifications will be
    treated like performance-enhancing drugs, and that there will be a push
    to develop suitable tests.
    -WBE

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05