• Call for Books: Springer Book Series on "Unsupervised and Semi-Supervis

From MEC@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 9 11:51:44 2017
    Dear Colleagues,

Springer Publishers and I are considering book proposal submissions for monographs or contributed volumes for the recently launched Book Series entitled "Unsupervised and Semi-Supervised Learning." The series website is http://www.springer.com/series/

Below are some interesting facts about Springer and a brief description of the series.

Springer is the largest scientific, technical, and medical publisher in the world. SpringerLink is one of the leading science portals that includes 10+ million documents, an ebook collection with 215,000+ titles, journal archives digitized back to the
    first issues in the 1840s, 42,000+ protocols and 600+ reference works.

Labeling training data for supervised learning can be expensive, difficult, tedious, error-prone, and even dangerous. With the proliferation of massive amounts of unlabeled data in many application domains, unsupervised learning algorithms that can
    automatically discover interesting and useful patterns in such data have gained popularity among researchers and practitioners. These algorithms have found numerous applications including pattern recognition, market basket analysis, web mining, social
    network analysis, information retrieval, recommender systems, market research, intrusion detection, and fraud detection. The difficulty of developing theoretically sound approaches that are amenable to objective evaluation has resulted in the proposal of
    numerous unsupervised learning algorithms over the past half-century.

Unsupervised algorithms achieve learning without reference to class labels. Semi-supervised algorithms, on the other hand, can make use of both labeled and unlabeled data. This can be useful in application domains where unlabeled data is abundant, yet it
    is possible to obtain only a small amount of labeled data. Compared to supervised and unsupervised learning, semi-supervised learning is a relatively unexplored subfield of machine learning.

The goal of Springer’s Unsupervised and Semi-Supervised Learning book series is to cover the latest theoretical and practical developments in unsupervised and semi-supervised learning. The intended audience includes students, researchers, and
    practitioners.

Topics of interest in include:

- Unsupervised/Semi-Supervised Discretization
    - Unsupervised/Semi-Supervised Feature Extraction
    - Unsupervised/Semi-Supervised Feature Selection
    - Association Rule Learning
    - Semi-Supervised Classification
    - Semi-Supervised Regression
    - Unsupervised/Semi-Supervised Clustering
    - Unsupervised/Semi-Supervised Anomaly/Novelty/Outlier Detection
    - Evaluation of Unsupervised/Semi-Supervised Learning Algorithms
    - Applications of Unsupervised/Semi-Supervised Learning

Note that while the series focuses on unsupervised and semi-supervised learning, outstanding contributions in the field of supervised learning will be considered as well.

If you are interested in submitting a proposal for consideration for the series, please let me know (ecelebi AT uca DOT edu) and I will email a proposal form to you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for your consideration and I hope to hear from you soon.

M. Emre Celebi, Ph.D.
    Series Editor
    Professor and Chair
    Department of Computer Science
    University of Central Arkansas
    http://faculty.uca.edu/ecelebi/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)