A new study has found that gas-powered appliances can increase the levels
of the chemical benzene, a known cancer-causing agent found in cigarette >smoke, inside the home.
According to the Stanford-led study, which was published in Environmental >Science & Technology, "indoor concentrations of benzene formed in the
flames of gas stoves can be worse than average concentrations from
secondhand smoke," as a news release about the study explained.
While lawmakers, experts, and just about everyone else debate potential
bans on gas stoves, consumers may want to block out the noise and consider >switching to electric sooner rather than later.
Not only can energy-efficient electric appliances save homeowners a ton of >money on their monthly energy bills, these appliances can also improve the >air quality inside homes and mitigate potential health issues, especially >among young children. Plus, with new tax breaks, these high-end appliances >may be available at steeply discounted rates.
One of the main concerns with gas appliances is the release of benzene,
which has been linked to childhood asthma as well as a higher risk of some >cancers such as leukemia, the American Cancer Society warns. Benzene is a >flammable liquid at room temperature that evaporates quickly into the air
and is one of the most widely used chemicals in the U.S., found in
plastics, detergents, pesticides, gasoline, cigarette smoke, and more, >according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Stanford University study examined 87 homes across California and >Colorado using methane gas and propane combustion to determine average >benzene levels in kitchens and bedrooms.
Not only can energy-efficient electric appliances save homeowners a ton of >money on their monthly energy bills,
|Location:||Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, UK|
|Nodes:||16 (0 / 16)|