• Planetary Alignments And Earthquake Triggering June 3, 2017

From E.D.G.@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 3 14:36:55 2017
    PLANETARY ALIGNMENTS AND EARTHQUAKE TRIGGERING

Posted By E.D.G. on June 3, 2017 edgrsprj@ix.netcom.com http://www.freewebs.com/eq-forecasting/Breakthroughs.html

This report is being posted to a number of Internet Newsgroups and
    also circulated by E-mail.

The information in this report represents expressions of personal opinion.

THIS REPORT'S PURPOSE - The goal of this report is to see if there are any astronomy and/or earthquake experts who would like to do some research on
    and possibly publish a scientific paper that might eventually provide a
    fairly clear answer to one of the oldest questions in science.

Question:

DO PLANETARY ALIGNMENTS AFFECT THE TIMES WHEN EARTHQUAKES OCCUR?

Interested parties can try contacting me by E-mail regarding this subject.

I would prefer to share theories, data, and perhaps a publication
    with people who are recognized experts in planetary science and/or
    earthquakes. A publication with 50 unknown names on it might not be taken
    too seriously.

However, if no recognized experts are interested then I would
    probably consider working with people who are knowledgeable in those areas
    but who are not already widely regarded as experts.

There is a lot of physics and math involved with this proposed
    project, with some of the physics not yet well understood. So people
    involved with this effort would need to be fairly expert.

THE ANSWER TO THAT PLANETARY ALIGNMENT EARTHQUAKE QUESTION

My own current data, some of my older theories, and information that
    I only recently discovered in a paper published years ago indicate to me
    that the answer to that question is probably "Yes!"

That was quite a surprise to me as up until I came across that publication several months ago I generally agreed with perhaps most of the
    rest of the people in the international scientific community who believe
    that the answer to the question is "No."

However, what I often say to other researchers is:

LET THE DATA SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES !

So, I never concluded that the answer to that question was a definite "No!"

There have likely been quite a few researchers over the centuries who have proposed that there are links between planetary locations and the times when earthquakes occur. And most scientists including myself have in the
    past likely felt that based on the data that would ordinarily be considered, the possibility that there could be links between planetary alignments etc.
    and earthquake triggering should be minimal.

But as this matter might once again show, it can be risky to come to draw conclusions that state that this or that is or is not happening based
    on theory models. At times, as in this case, the wrong theories are
    probably being considered.

PRESENT THEORY MODEL

Most scientists likely agree that earthquakes occur after strain
    builds at specific locations in the Earth's crust. At some point, perhaps after tens or even thousands of years, that strain level reaches the point where the rock layers cannot absorb any more. And they fracture with the
    rapid release of large amounts of energy.

The result is a powerful earthquake. And if the energy is focused towards or eventually reaches a populated area the results can be
    catastrophic.

At least some scientists including me believe that readily available data clearly show that tidal forces associated with gravitational pulls of
    the sun and the moon on the Earth can add enough temporary strain to an
    already highly strained fault zone that its rock layers will reach that breaking point. And the result is an earthquake.

My data indicate to me that these high strain time windows associated with the sun and moon gravities are probably often quite narrow, perhaps
    plus or minus 5 minutes within 6.25 hour periods of time during the day.
    And the time windows tend to occur at specific times during a given month.

The gravitational pulls of the planets on the Earth are apparently so weak in comparison with those of the sun and the moon that it should be impossible for planet gravities to affect earthquake triggering times.

However, my data indicate to me that that gravity link is not the
    right one to be examining. What might actually be happening is a lot more complex. And instead of affecting earthquake triggering times during fairly narrow time windows, the planetary alignment time windows are likely much longer than those associated with the sun and moon gravities.

So, the simple model would look like:

A affects B. B then affects T.

A represents the various gravity strengths of the sun, moon, and planets.

B represents various tides such as ocean tides and the Solid Earth Tide.

T represents the times when earthquakes are triggered.

The proposed far more complex and realistic model might look like:

A affects B, C, D, and E.

B, C, D, and E then directly or indirectly affect T.

One of the steps in that more complex theory picture that is known by many in the international earthquake forecasting community but probably not
    too many people in the astronomy and celestial mechanics communities
    involves the effects that solar storms can have on earthquake triggering
    times.

There are a few steps in that complex sequence of steps that I myself don't yet understand. I know what they are. But I don't know which of them
    is the most important for the earthquake triggering picture.

However, this latest possible discovery explains what one of the key, and previously unrecognized steps is in that sequence. Plus, another of
    those possible steps is one that scientists generally don't seem to be considering even though I believe that the step makes perfect sense.

With some research, it should be possible to determine what the
    relative importance is of the various steps. It might also be discovered
    that there are steps that I myself don't yet know about.

THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS PROPOSED EFFORT

First,

As everyone is aware, powerful earthquakes can be extremely dangerous natural phenomena. And any information that people can learn regarding
    exactly why they occur when they occur, and how to accurately forecast them would be invaluable.

Second,

Even if this proposed new theory picture is not as accurate and important as I believe it likely is, I feel that a publication on it could result in a small tidal wave of research activity as various scientists
    around the world do calculations and make measurements to explore the
    various possibilities. And even that indirect attention should help move forward the entire science of earthquake triggering processes.

Third,

The general public seem to be endlessly fascinated by new theories regarding important natural phenomena such as earthquakes even when they
    don't
    actually understand the theories. This interest can be especially strong if the theories can be presented to people in interesting videos.

Even amateurs could generate highly interesting videos regarding this subject matter. They would show how the sun and moon gravities produce
    tides and how tidal forces often trigger powerful earthquakes (in my
    opinion). And then various planetary alignment and earthquake triggering theories developed over the centuries could be displayed in the videos along with this new theory.

News service personnel would explain that scientists are now
    proposing that there might finally be a fairly clear answer for the ancient question:

CURRENT EARTHQUAKE FORECASTING RESEARCH

The following Web pages discuss some current research on earthquake forecasting:

http://www.freewebs.com/eq-forecasting/Breakthroughs.html

http://www.freewebs.com/eq-forecasting/NCGT_Reports.html

Those are "indirect" Freewebs.com addresses that are intended in part
    to keep spam robots away from my actual Web pages. Those addresses will redirect viewers to the real pages.

If you don't trust indirect links, and people should always be
    careful of them, then you can try the following:

Go to any major search engine and type in the line:

Earthquake Forecasting Breakthroughs Breakthroughs.html

My true Web page address should appear at or near the top of the
    search list.

Or, go to the public library and type in those Freewebs.com
    addresses.

That "Breakthroughs" Web page is in the process of having a major update. And with humor intended, it you decide to examine it in detail,
    plan on spending an entire day on the effort. It covers a lot of material
    that probably cannot be found anywhere else on the Internet or in any other technical publications.

The NCGT Reports Web page starts off with a discussion of what one scientist has apparently discovered regarding why some radios and other electronic devices stop working around the times when powerful earthquakes occur. That phenomenon could be quite important for people who are on an aircraft that is attempting to land near an earthquake fault zone and the aircraft's instrumentation abruptly fails!

The effect has to do with temporary changes in L (inductance) in some LRC circuits in radios and other electronic devices being used near the
    fault zone where an earthquake is going to occur.

And finally,

If you are wondering why the science of earthquake forecasting and
    many other sciences move along so slowly you can try reading the following report:

http://www.freewebs.com/eq-forecasting/Special_Interest_Groups.html

Regards to all,

E.D.G.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From kelleher.gerald@gmail.com@21:1/5 to E.D.G. on Mon Jun 5 08:11:12 2017
    On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 8:36:58 PM UTC+1, E.D.G. wrote:
    PLANETARY ALIGNMENTS AND EARTHQUAKE TRIGGERING

Posted By E.D.G. on June 3, 2017 edgrsprj@ix.netcom.com http://www.freewebs.com/eq-forecasting/Breakthroughs.html

This report is being posted to a number of Internet Newsgroups and also circulated by E-mail.

The information in this report represents expressions of personal opinion.

THIS REPORT'S PURPOSE - The goal of this report is to see if there are any astronomy and/or earthquake experts who would like to do some research on
    and possibly publish a scientific paper that might eventually provide a fairly clear answer to one of the oldest questions in science.

Question:

The short answer is no they don't.

A much better question would be - Are plate tectonics and the 26 mile spherical deviation of the planet linked by cause ?.

In other times it would be what people would call a no-brainer insofar as all rotating celestial bodies with a fluid composition display differential rotation across latitudes and while all the features accompanying the global Mid Atlantic Ridge
    basically screams out the presence of this underlying dynamical feature, sometimes it is not always possible to draw attention to the ins and outs of the influences of differential rotation on the evolving crust.

I would imagine that the lag/advance mechanism of the zonal bands is the most difficult for researchers to envisage and the interplay between the faster moving zonal band with the slower moving zonal band beneath it generates crust symmetrically but this
    feature is played all the way out towards the polar latitudes . The magnificent 'S' shape of the ridge which is split at the Equator (Romanche) is yet another elegant reminder of the forces driving the creation of oceanic crust.

When this proposal first appeared in this forum there was a brief burst of interest in rotation but since researchers have retreated back into the dull stationary Earth notion of convection cells.

In any case, nice try with external influences but the bulk of evolutionary geology begins beneath the fractured crust in the nature of the moving fluid interior.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)