• [Web Feed] A question about lab safety around PAH contaminated soil

From Feed Supplier@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 18 17:39:14 2021
    Hello
    r/environmental_science: /r/environmental_science
    , I wanted to ask you about safety in environmental science labs. If this is the wrong subreddit, please let me know and I'll delete my post.

Specifically, I wanted to ask what precautions you would take when riffling soil containing unknown polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, at a concentration of around 24,000 ppm taken from a contaminated industrial site.

I ah, recently riffled (manually homogenized) several kilos of this soil for experiments and learned the concentration after the fact. I also learned that there is a high likelihood of benzene being present in some concentration, again, after the fact.

I wasn't really offered much in way of protective gear and inhaled and ingested some of the particulates kicked up by homogenizing. That, and I was covered head to foot in the contaminated dust for a period of several hours. Following the first batch I
    did scrounge a respirator, lab coat, and goggles because my skin/eyes were burning and itchy.

I had asked about the contents a few times and the answers were generally pretty evasive, in hindsight.

--
    Generated automatically from a Web feed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)