• need to measure moment of inertia of gear motor

From dave y.@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 9 15:13:41 2015
    On Sat, 5 Sep 2015 20:47:54 -0700 (PDT), liangxiaoxiao138@gmail.com
    wrote:

? 2000?8?2???? UTC+8??3:00:00?John Becich???
    I've got a small DC brush-type gear motor, and I don't know the moment of
    inertia. I'm trying to compose feedback control system equations.

I have measured the MOI of a flywheel that is about a foot in diameter, by >> setting it up in a torsional pendulum and timing its period of oscillation. >> This period was successfully compared to the period of oscillation of
    another mechanical object with known MOI. Unfortunately, I doubt that there >> is any such simple method to measure the MOI of the gear motor.

Torsional pendulum was the technique many years ago, but now I think
    MOI is calculated using cad software.

d. young

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From zwgearbox@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 27 00:31:53 2016
    ZHAOWEI, A TRUSTWORTHY MANUFACTURER OF MICRO GEAR MOTOR
    Shenzhen ZHAOWEI is specialized in designing, manufacturing and selling Micro DC Gear Motors, especially DC Geared Motors. We have successfully worked out over 100 series of Micro DC Motors. Our products are widely applied on house-hold appliance,
    office equipment, health-care and beauty-care facilities, medical appliance, high-class toys, electronic tools, electronic commodity, automotive parts and some automatic systems as well.
    We have a team of professional staffs who are working on R&D and QC, which ensure our good quality managing system and advcanced technology in Motor Industry. A whole set of advanced production equipments ensure our quality and service. Therefore, we
    won very good reputations from end customers.
    We will always keep close to the market, and try our best to improve the equipments and technology step by step, so as to satisfy our customers' various demands. Recently, our products are widely sold to US, West Europe, East South Asia, Taiwan, Hong
    Kong and home market. We are still doing our best to exploit the world market, hope we will have cooperation in the near future.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From liangxiaoxiao138@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 5 20:47:54 2015
    在 2000年8月2日星期三 UTC+8下午3:00:00,John Becich写道:
    I've got a small DC brush-type gear motor, and I don't know the moment of inertia. I'm trying to compose feedback control system equations.

I have measured the MOI of a flywheel that is about a foot in diameter, by setting it up in a torsional pendulum and timing its period of oscillation. This period was successfully compared to the period of oscillation of
    another mechanical object with known MOI. Unfortunately, I doubt that there is any such simple method to measure the MOI of the gear motor.

You can assume that I know the internal DC resistance, "R," and internal inductance, "L," of this motor. I have instruments such as oscilloscope, memory o-scope, and spectrum analyzer, as well as pulse generator and servo amplifier. Is there some technique for measuring the MOI with these instruments? I would thing I could set up some kind of resonance and measure, electonically, the frequency of resonance, etc. Of course, I'd
    have to know WHICH resonance was pertinent to the MOI!

Do I have to consider the MOI of the motor armature and all the gears in the gear train? Ouch!

This gear motor is about the size of an adult human hand, and weighs roughly three pounds. Output with no load is 6 RPM @ 24VDC. Current draw would
    then be 0.15 amps.

Meanwhile, I'll try to contact the manufacturer in the hope it can tell me what I need to know. That's the non-technical solution!

Thanks,
    John

Sell:
    China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing, manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in smart kitchen and laundry,
    medical instrument for personal care, smart E-transmission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunication and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different sizes.
    In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partners around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd
    URL: http://www.zwgearbox.com/
    Tel:+86-755-27322652
    Fax:+86-755-27323949
    E-mail:sales@zwgearbox.com
    Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Bao’an Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05