• positive psychology notes draft

From Julia Amara@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 27 08:07:56 2023
    Positive psychology

This is a safe space to write and say good things about yourself!

I found reading about “positive psychology” on wikipedia then thinking of positive well being affirming responses to some of the many topics there. If you do the same I will read and actually spend some qulity time thinking about what you say. You
    have an audience!

It is OK to admit you have value and that you are good at some things, doing these things optimistically, each day, with an eye to the future is suggested by positive psychology researchers:
    Positive emotions are concerned with being content with one's past, being happy in the present and having hope for the future. Positive individual traits focus on one's strengths and virtues.

Positive psychologists are concerned with four topics: (1) positive experiences, (2) enduring psychological traits, (3) positive relationships, and (4) positive institutions.[9] According to Peterson, topics of interest to researchers in the field are:
    states of pleasure or flow, values, strengths, virtues, talents, as well as the ways that these can be promoted by social systems and institutions.

I often feel that when I have a project for the future It is a high point of my hour: like thinking about moving to a new town, where I imagine life being particularly good, or planning perhaps 5 or 10 minutes of tomorrow’s conversation a day in
    advance, or boldy placing an ad on Craigslist (or responding to one) that I think will cause good things in the future These make me feel particularly good. I often feel like I did something ethical, and there is a slight good feeling to the suspense of
    wondering if anyone will respond to online things.

The Journal of Happiness studies is available online.

Carol Ryff's Six-factor Model of Psychological Well-being was initially published in 1989, and additional testing of its factors was published in 1995. It postulates six factors which are key for well-being, namely self-acceptance, personal growth,
    purpose in life, environmental mastery, autonomy, and positive relations with others.

Self acceptance: to some extent I just exist,
    Personal growth: This feels good when it is happening, for a while last year every 3 months or so I would be onto something new, and it would also work. Becoming involved in community volunteering at the schools and a science museum was part of this,
    as was becoming a couchsurfing host. I have a strong urge to know well and sane people, I think they will rub off on me.
    Purpose in Life: I have a surplus of this as a result of being mentally ill. I imagine that it is possible other people do not think they are an involuntary example to others, whose every action is possibly amplified at billions of people and whose
    actions effect much of the future. This is perhaps similar to a slacker college student being told they draw the chart for the future of humanity.

Aside from mentally ill megalomania I have kind of a moment to moment maintenance purpose, like “I will socialize today” or “I want to contribute something online that other people will actually like, or that I think should be communicated.” Or
    even, “I am supposed to eat 350 calories so I will”. These things are like moments of intent and purpose, perhaps a little like checking things off a to-do list.

Environmental Mastery:
    It has taken a while, but I kind of feel like I live somewhere and nothing is going to go wrong. It seems different than environmental mastery, but perhaps like a busker who knows what street corner to play music on to make the most money I kind of feel
    like I know where to hang out in town to enjoy people watching, see beauty, and experience the enthusiasm of others who are often quite happy. One of those places is
    explaining exhibits at the science museum. The beauty of the human female form and a kind of slight mild happiness from green or pleasant environments often delights me several times a day.

Autonomy: I seem to be be able to do whatever I want, but I do not want very much, and I am aware of a kind of nonconscious letting go of any kind of involved ambition like a good job, a trip to Sweden, or a girlfriend. That said, as a result of
    government benefits, which I find amazingly generous, I can do whatever I want in a less than $40 kind of way 24/7.

Positive relations with others: I think it is possible to do things on purpose, so I would like to seek out and create more positive relations with others, I would like to benefit others while having an actively good time. That’s the idea. Some of
    my most positive relations with others are sharing and teaching reading to children, and feeling the good feelings of catching a nuance that other people like me and want to be around me. Sometimes I think of things I can do for other people. Sometimes I
    put useful things at homeless camps when no one is around and I somehow feel like I shared or communicated something nice even though I did not talk to anyone.

I like to think of new technologies and think they might benefit people. To benefit people I put them online at a website and think people might visit it. One thing is that sometimes I write on the computer and sometimes I write on paper in notebooks.
    For reasons I do not really understand, except perhaps my urge to spontaneity, I find typing my notebook material to be about 100-200 times more gradual than actually writing in my notebook. Recently I put an ad on craigslist, “will trade your typing
    for my babysitting” I did get one reply a few days ago, and perhaps it will work out, although they have not written to me in 2 days.

wikipedia at positive psychology says,

“ 1. Pleasant life: research into the Pleasant Life, or the "life of enjoyment", examines how people optimally experience, forecast, and savor the positive feelings and emotions that are part of normal and healthy living (e.g., relationships, hobbies,
    interests, entertainment, etc.). Despite the attention given, Martin Seligman says this most transient element of happiness may be the least important.[38]

Pleasant life: enjoyment is enjoyable, much of my sudden nonintellectual enjoyment comes from seeing an attractive woman in public, or perhaps reading a comic or looking at a meme on the computer. I kind of like a 20 minute walk to the dollar store as
    well. I have not really thought about increasing my moments of pleasure, although it must be possible. Perhaps I could make a funny text friend and swap 10 mutually entertaining messages a day.

1. Good Life: investigation of the beneficial effects of immersion, absorption, and flow, felt by individuals when optimally engaged with their primary activities, is the study of the Good Life, or the "life of engagement". Flow is experienced when there
    is a positive match between a person's strength and their current task, i.e., when one feels confident of accomplishing a chosen or assigned task.[b]

I think if, or perhaps just when, I find something I feel flow doing then things would get even better. Right now I find that using drugs I get off Ebay makes me cheerful and focused and even creative at the computer and hours of flow pass that way. It
    would be wonderful to find other non-drug areas of flow as well. I like hosting couchsurfing guests, sometimes there is flow in that. Sometimes I think there is flow in sharing and teaching reading to kindergarteners and first graders and volunteering at
    the science museum.

1. Meaningful Life: inquiry into the Meaningful Life, or "life of affiliation", questions how individuals derive a positive sense of well-being, belonging, meaning, and purpose from being part of and contributing back to something larger and more
    permanent than themselves (e.g., nature, social groups, organizations, movements, traditions, belief systems).

Aside from my residue of megalomania I have lots of opportunity to notice something that would make my life meaningful. Sometimes I feel little like a person who just moved and I am walking around in an an apartment I just moved into, I have not
    unpacked, and I feel a kind of abiding relief that “I did it”. So what comes next, meaning in life, will not occur to me for at least another half hour or so. Perhaps it is a little like I barely made a deadline or caught the last bus, and I am
    still catching my breath, and pretty soon I will notice a source of non megalomanic meaning that actually guides more of my actual actions and social interactions.

Local meaning happens when I notice the opportunity to make sense or proceed from a positive energetic engage the world mood.

Local meaning: sometimes I get the entertainment of using philosophy to figure out what matters. When I volunteer at the science museum am I just making people happy for 3 minutes each, a little like a person at a funfair giving away cotton candy? Touch
    the sea otter pelt! Feed the fish! It is nice to make people happy.
    Am I upholding a functioning rational and improving beneficial culture by talking about science. Perhaps I will even dare to expand my frequent and repetitive speeches to include the scientific method!
    Or is it a kind of keeping a center of science, a place of shared mutual value open so people that like science have a place to practice their minds and experience what is perhaps completely unconsidered belonging? Kind of keeping up a melody that some
    people naturally gravitate towards?
    Perhaps I am maintaining the future. When I talk to people am I adding another layer of paint to a bridge to the future that keeps it fresh, structurally sound and provides a place new branches will arise from?
    Am I actually like a supporter of families, people caring for their children, growing their children’s options and minds with a cultural dip where a bunch of people all of whom are immensely friendly but only talk about facts and everybody, including
    parents and children are using their “public manners”. The families, parents and children, get facts, enthusiasm, and avid listener to their ideas and questions, basically the families get an experience that is calm, inquisitive, rewarding of
    curiousity that is receptive to children and adult visitors.
    The other volunteers sometimes tell me what in another place might be a rather emphatic and possibly crisp speech on something scientific, because it is a science museum, and wonderfully that is normal here.
    And then there are the single visitors who seem a little suprised when I walk up to them with science content, it might feel to them like a bold person giving them the time of day at a party, it is nice to think I might improve their lives a little.
    Then there is direct advocacy, I am aware of, but basically do not practice telling them to be nice to the ocean ecology, or to vote for something that preserves the things they are viewing although I think I should. Often the visitors bring it up
    themselves.

More on this being a dollop of local meaning: So many things to value, and then I wonder, which of these has precedence, like as an actual applied ethical perspective and cause of action: can I think of new words and actions to bolster what I think the
    science museum is about? So that is like a moment of what the positive psychology people might think of as local meaning. Perhaps I urge the visitors to take pictures, or tell me their favorite exhibit, because the more they do, the more they will get
    out of it. I would like to emphasize the scientific method more. I think I should find a way to pleasantly get the visitors to read the exhibit texts.

engineering, chemistry, computer ic, computer fab, longevity, longevity technology, treon, treon verdery, physics, lasers, laser, emiconductor, dimension, math, IT, IL, pattern resonance, time travel, chronotechnology, circile, eric the circle, cartoon,
    healthspan, youthspan, cpi, manufacturing, fiscal, money, software, petroleum, archive at deviantart com user treonsebastia

All technologies, ideas, and inventions of Treon Sebastian Verdery are public domain at JUly 8,2023AD and previously, as well as after that date

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)