• Key FOB, Assume has Active RF ID

From jaugustine@verizon.net@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 30 07:49:41 2021
    Hi,

I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

To open the car door (locked), I simply grab the handle
    and the door unlocks then opens with the Key FOB in my
    pocket.

The Key FOB has buttons that include Unlock. If I press this button,
    the Key FOB would transmit a coded signal in UHF band to the Jeep.

I assume because I am NOT pressing any buttons, my Jeep transmits a signal (perhaps in short bursts) and my Key FOB responds by indicating it's presence?

Can someone clarify this?

Thank You in advance, John

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael Terrell@21:1/5 to jaugu...@verizon.net on Wed Nov 3 10:47:31 2021
    On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 7:50:07 AM UTC-4, jaugu...@verizon.net wrote:
    Hi,

pocket.

I assume because I am NOT pressing any buttons, my Jeep transmits a signal (perhaps in short bursts) and my Key FOB responds by indicating it's presence?

What does the owner's manual say? I just had to replace the keypad for my 2016 Grand Caravan because it was acting weird. The first thing that it did was to start opening the right side sliding door, without touching the fobik.
    The metal disks inside had started to become detached. I found just the replacement keypad, but for some you have to buy the entire case to get the keypad. They are usually under $10.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Coon@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 3 20:59:47 2021
    In article <498222c6-f004-4be3-a1df-27a8777bfec1n@googlegroups.com>, terrell.michael.a@gmail.com says...

On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 7:50:07 AM UTC-4, jaugu...@verizon.net wrote:
    Hi,

pocket.

What does the owner's manual say? I just had to replace the keypad for my 2016 Grand Caravan because it was acting weird. The first thing that it did was to start opening the right side sliding door, without touching the fobik.
    The metal disks inside had started to become detached. I found just the replacement keypad, but for some you have to buy the entire case to get the keypad. They are usually under $10.

I believe my Vauxhall (~2003) has a RFID. If the car is opened with the key-in-lock that does not disarm the alarm. But starting the car with
    the key does so via RFID. But I'm afraid I cannot be bothered to verify
    with the manual!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Terrell@21:1/5 to Mike Coon on Sat Nov 6 13:56:46 2021
    On Wednesday, November 3, 2021 at 4:59:40 PM UTC-4, Mike Coon wrote:
    Mike Terrell wrote:

I believe my Vauxhall (~2003) has a RFID. If the car is opened with the key-in-lock that does not disarm the alarm. But starting the car with
    the key does so via RFID. But I'm afraid I cannot be bothered to verify
    with the manual!

Don't worry, they have changed quite a bit since 2003.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05