• Watts vs. VAs

From Kenny McCormack@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 5 19:05:13 2016
    My basic question is: Which one does the power company bill you for?

Background: I have one of those "Kill A Watt" thingies, and I've noticed
    that it tells you the number of Watts, the number of "Volt Amps" (which is generally greater than Watts) and the "Power Factor" (which is, of course, Watts divided by VA, so it will be something like 0.6). I sort of, almost, understand the difference between Watts and VAs, but what I am really
    curious about is which one the power company uses to bill you. I would
    expect Watts, but you know how companies are, they usually pick whatever
    will maximize the bill...

--
    Windows 95 n. (Win-doze): A 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for
    an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Modern day upgrade --> Windows XP Professional x64: Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit
    operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that
    can't stand 1 bit of competition.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Boris Mohar@21:1/5 to McCormack on Sun Mar 6 09:09:46 2016
    On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 19:05:13 +0000 (UTC), gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote:

Background: I have one of those "Kill A Watt" thingies, and I've noticed
    that it tells you the number of Watts, the number of "Volt Amps" (which is >generally greater than Watts) and the "Power Factor" (which is, of course, >Watts divided by VA, so it will be something like 0.6). I sort of, almost, >understand the difference between Watts and VAs, but what I am really
    curious about is which one the power company uses to bill you. I would >expect Watts, but you know how companies are, they usually pick whatever
    will maximize the bill...

Watts
    --
    Boris

---
    This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kenny McCormack@21:1/5 to borism_void_@sympatico.ca on Mon Mar 7 05:50:20 2016
    In article <dgeodblf4q5n7gmcvsnnjcqrr8gqbqd11m@4ax.com>,
    Boris Mohar <borism_void_@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 19:05:13 +0000 (UTC), gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny >McCormack) wrote:

Background: I have one of those "Kill A Watt" thingies, and I've noticed >>that it tells you the number of Watts, the number of "Volt Amps" (which is >>generally greater than Watts) and the "Power Factor" (which is, of course, >>Watts divided by VA, so it will be something like 0.6). I sort of, almost, >>understand the difference between Watts and VAs, but what I am really >>curious about is which one the power company uses to bill you. I would >>expect Watts, but you know how companies are, they usually pick whatever >>will maximize the bill...

Watts
    (Boris)

OK, thanks.

BTW, how's Natasha doing these days?

--
    "The anti-regulation business ethos is based on the charmingly naive notion that people will not do unspeakable things for money." - Dana Carpender

Quoted by Paul Ciszek (pciszek at panix dot com). But what I want to know
    is why is this diet/low-carb food author doing making pithy political/economic statements?

Nevertheless, the above quote is dead-on, because, the thing is - business
    in one breath tells us they don't need to be regulated (which is to say:
    that they can morally self-regulate), then in the next breath tells us that corporations are amoral entities which have no obligations to anyone except their officers and shareholders, then in the next breath they tell us they don't need to be regulated (that they can morally self-regulate) ...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Boris Mohar@21:1/5 to McCormack on Mon Mar 7 09:15:02 2016
    On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 05:50:20 +0000 (UTC), gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote:

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 19:05:13 +0000 (UTC), gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny >>McCormack) wrote:

Background: I have one of those "Kill A Watt" thingies, and I've noticed >>>that it tells you the number of Watts, the number of "Volt Amps" (which is >>>generally greater than Watts) and the "Power Factor" (which is, of course, >>>Watts divided by VA, so it will be something like 0.6). I sort of, almost, >>>understand the difference between Watts and VAs, but what I am really >>>curious about is which one the power company uses to bill you. I would >>>expect Watts, but you know how companies are, they usually pick whatever >>>will maximize the bill...

Watts
    (Boris)

OK, thanks.

Natasha Fatale is a girlfriend of Boris Nadenov. Wrong Boris. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Badenov
    --
    Boris

---
    This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Bruder@21:1/5 to Kenny McCormack on Mon Mar 7 06:39:56 2016
    In article <nbj4qs$v4m$1@news.xmission.com>,
    gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote:

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 19:05:13 +0000 (UTC), gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny >McCormack) wrote:

Background: I have one of those "Kill A Watt" thingies, and I've noticed >>that it tells you the number of Watts, the number of "Volt Amps" (which is >>generally greater than Watts) and the "Power Factor" (which is, of course, >>Watts divided by VA, so it will be something like 0.6). I sort of, almost, >>understand the difference between Watts and VAs, but what I am really >>curious about is which one the power company uses to bill you. I would >>expect Watts, but you know how companies are, they usually pick whatever >>will maximize the bill...

Watts
    (Boris)

OK, thanks.

Last I heard, she was about to dump Boris and was probably bedding
    Fearless Leader. Something about not being able to cope with Boris and
    his moose & squirrel fetish was mentioned in the tabloids.

--
    Security provided by Mssrs Smith and/or Wesson. Brought to you by the letter Q

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05