• Li-Polymer Batteries

From rickman@21:1/5 to Jan Panteltje on Thu Oct 19 18:34:47 2017
    XPost: sci.electronics.design

Jan Panteltje wrote on 10/19/2017 12:47 PM:
    On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Oct 2017 12:18:50 -0400) it happened rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in <osaj9b$cs3$1@dont-email.me>:

I have yet to find much that would be appropriate for a small vessel like a >> kayak. It has to be two parts unless you want the bright white light
    shining in your eyes. One of the great things about kayaking at night is
    getting light adapted and seeing things under starlight.

Here is something interesting for enclosing the battery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112506110668

Yes, those bags are often recommended, maybe I should get some too, or not??? I keep the liion cells that I do not use in a plastic icecream box..:
    http://panteltje.com/pub/liion_cells_storage_IMG_6338.JPG
    the tape it to prevent cells moving and makeing a ciruit.

It is way larger than what I need, but can be folded over I think. Folding >> it twice it is small enough. They don't say what it is made of. One way to >> find out. Thanks for discussing this. I don't think I would have found
    this bag if I weren't talking to you. The bag will be much better than the >> other two approaches I found. But then there is the question of how good
    the bag will be. It's cheap enough I might just do the test you suggested.

There was a video on youtube about it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEkewCjiDs0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnNId0mDnBo
    YMMV

Interesting. Both videos use a lot more battery than I will use and the bag
    is barely closed. I would be essentially rolling the bag up and depending
    on the size I use I would be folding the sides over before rolling. These
    bags are not made of thick material. Much better would be this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171761074567

or this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192107744089

A meter of the hose is about $22 from Aliexpress. I used an eBay link
    because you can't shorten Ali links the same way. The hose is silicone
    coated fiberglass which is rated for some minutes at 1100 °F/600 °C which is the alleged temperature of a Li-ion battery fire.

The blanket is only $8. It is ceramic fiber rated for higher temperatures indefinitely. It would be enough material for at least three units. I plan
    to make at least two. I believe I can make a pouch easily using thin gauge wire.

--

Rick C

Viewed the eclipse at Wintercrest Farms,
    on the centerline of totality since 1998

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to gnuarm@gmail.com on Fri Oct 20 07:48:54 2017

On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Oct 2017 18:34:47 -0400) it happened rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in <osb9a9$v5o$1@dont-email.me>:

Interesting. Both videos use a lot more battery than I will use and the bag >is barely closed. I would be essentially rolling the bag up and depending
    on the size I use I would be folding the sides over before rolling.

You have to leave some opening so the smoke can escape and the pressure can
    be prevented to build up to a point where the bag tares.

These bags are not made of thick material. Much better would be this...

or this...

I wonder if that stuff absorbs moisture...

Same.

A meter of the hose is about $22 from Aliexpress. I used an eBay link >because you can't shorten Ali links the same way. The hose is silicone >coated fiberglass which is rated for some minutes at 1100 °F/600 °C which is >the alleged temperature of a Li-ion battery fire.

The blanket is only $8. It is ceramic fiber rated for higher temperatures >indefinitely. It would be enough material for at least three units. I plan >to make at least two. I believe I can make a pouch easily using thin gauge >wire.

I still think you are over-designing a bit.

I like the flat plastic case for the lights you posted, IF it is really waterproof I would
    not bother with too much 'fire protection' especially with those batteries with protection chip.
    If it does catch fire, then overboard with it... ;-)

Other thing I was thinking is to make 2 'antennas' of carbon fiber rod or some flexible rod at the rear of the kayak with in the top red and green LEDs,
    battery holder at the bottom, needs some screws on an attachment point.

0 0 --> LED
    \ /
    \ /
    \ / carbon rod
    \ /
    [ ] [ ]
    ================= kayak

Could also be one thing with 2 antennas

Danger is it sticks in you eyes.

Experiment.
    Let us know !

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rickman@21:1/5 to Jan Panteltje on Fri Oct 20 04:56:50 2017

Jan Panteltje wrote on 10/20/2017 3:48 AM:
    On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Oct 2017 18:34:47 -0400) it happened rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in <osb9a9$v5o$1@dont-email.me>:

Interesting. Both videos use a lot more battery than I will use and the bag >> is barely closed. I would be essentially rolling the bag up and depending >> on the size I use I would be folding the sides over before rolling.

You have to leave some opening so the smoke can escape and the pressure can be prevented to build up to a point where the bag tares.

Yes, but some opening is not the gaping holes in these bags. The other
    video with a bunch of batteries in a latched and sealed ammo case is pretty instructive. Before it broke the seal it actually dented the can with the pressure. But like I said earlier, one cell of Lipo is not nearly as much energy as the videos show.

If I could find similar products to the power bank boards that worked with NiMH, I'd go that route. I believe they actually prefer NiCad in power
    tools because of the high current. NiMH has too much internal impedance.
    But this will only draw a couple hundred mA most likely, so it would be a
    good fit. I would have to roll my own design for the whole thing.

These bags are not made of thick material. Much better would be this...

or this...

Same.

Not sure why you think it will wick moisture and why that is an issue. The cell is sealed so some moisture won't hurt it. If it catches fire moisture will only help dampen the temperature.

A meter of the hose is about $22 from Aliexpress. I used an eBay link
    because you can't shorten Ali links the same way. The hose is silicone
    coated fiberglass which is rated for some minutes at 1100 °F/600 °C which is >> the alleged temperature of a Li-ion battery fire.

The blanket is only $8. It is ceramic fiber rated for higher temperatures >> indefinitely. It would be enough material for at least three units. I plan >> to make at least two. I believe I can make a pouch easily using thin gauge >> wire.

I still think you are over-designing a bit.

Maybe. Many people take their cell phone out on a kayak as a rescue device.
    It would suck if it caught fire and cause the boat to sink.

I like the flat plastic case for the lights you posted, IF it is really waterproof I would

Yeah, I already bought one case designed for cell phones and they seem to
    have a very poor seal material, hard and not terribly compliant. Being
    water tight is essential. I've had a number of things ruined while kayaking when they were supposed to be water tight, including handheld IP67 GPS devices.

not bother with too much 'fire protection' especially with those batteries with protection chip.

You keep not paying attention. There will be two of these at opposite ends
    of a 17 foot kayak and the paddler in the middle. There's no way to release it.

Other thing I was thinking is to make 2 'antennas' of carbon fiber rod or some flexible rod at the rear of the kayak with in the top red and green LEDs,

0 0 --> LED
    \ /
    \ /
    \ / carbon rod
    \ /
    [ ] [ ]
    ================= kayak

Experiment.
    Let us know !

No need to experiment. Things sticking up on a kayak are not good. I'm not sure why you would think there is any advantage to this anyhow.

Everything on a kayak wants to be low on the deck, unless you are flying a flag. The red and green lights go on the front to make sure they are seen
    at all times. They shine from dead ahead to 22.5 degrees past a
    perpendicular line off each side. The person needs to not be in the way or
    the light can be missed. They are mounted (along with the white light that shines over the remaining 135 degrees) on the top of the mast of a sail boat because it *has* a mast. On a kayak, a second unit is needed at the rear
    for the white light. When "at anchor" an all around white light is
    required. If you were to put the lights on a mast of some sort, they would
    all be mounted in one unit, not separate units. But a tall thing is a very poor idea for may reasons. Try kayaking sometime, you will learn quickly.

My idea is to use two identical units with something to tell each one which
    is which (I'm thinking of a magnet operated switch perhaps or an internal switch that you open the cover to set when you mount it on the boat). The
    only difference is how the units respond to the remote. There are four
    states - Off, Nav (red/green/white), anchor (all white) and emergency
    (flashes SOS in Morse code with all lights white). The flashing lowers the duty cycle and extends the duration of the battery. With 3000 mAHr it would run for some 10 hours continuously, or twice or triple that when flashing.
    But that is just an estimate. It helps in recovering the boat and/or the body.

--

Rick C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to gnuarm@gmail.com on Fri Oct 20 09:38:46 2017

On a sunny day (Fri, 20 Oct 2017 04:56:50 -0400) it happened rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in <oscdoi$iu3$1@dont-email.me>:

These bags are not made of thick material. Much better would be this... >>>

or this...

Same.

Not sure why you think it will wick moisture and why that is an issue. The >cell is sealed so some moisture won't hurt it. If it catches fire moisture >will only help dampen the temperature.

So, you contradict yourself,
    you had fear of water (for the cells ;-) ),
    now you say they are dry.

Maybe. Many people take their cell phone out on a kayak as a rescue device.
    It would suck if it caught fire and cause the boat to sink.

The solution is well known, called a PLB, EPIRB, the latest seems to be this:
    http://oceansignal.com/products/plb1/

But I do not think you will be kayaking on the ocean or big water?
    https://www.panbo.com/archives/2016/12/mcmurdo_smartfind_g8_ais_epirb_first_of_many_plbs_too_.html
    lots of info there too.

Yeah, I already bought one case designed for cell phones and they seem to >have a very poor seal material, hard and not terribly compliant. Being
    water tight is essential. I've had a number of things ruined while kayaking >when they were supposed to be water tight, including handheld IP67 GPS devices.

You keep not paying attention.

Wow

There will be two of these at opposite ends
    of a 17 foot kayak and the paddler in the middle. There's no way to release >it.

Easy to make a release system with some dyneema line.

Other thing I was thinking is to make 2 'antennas' of carbon fiber rod or some flexible rod at the rear of the kayak with in
    the top red and green LEDs,

0 0 --> LED
    \ /
    \ /
    \ / carbon rod
    \ /
    [ ] [ ]
    ================= kayak

Experiment.
    Let us know !

No need to experiment. Things sticking up on a kayak are not good. I'm not >sure why you would think there is any advantage to this anyhow.

Can view it from further away seems a good one to me.

Everything on a kayak wants to be low on the deck, unless you are flying a >flag. The red and green lights go on the front to make sure they are seen
    at all times. They shine from dead ahead to 22.5 degrees past a >perpendicular line off each side. The person needs to not be in the way or >the light can be missed. They are mounted (along with the white light that >shines over the remaining 135 degrees) on the top of the mast of a sail boat >because it *has* a mast. On a kayak, a second unit is needed at the rear
    required. If you were to put the lights on a mast of some sort, they would >all be mounted in one unit, not separate units. But a tall thing is a very >poor idea for may reasons. Try kayaking sometime, you will learn quickly.

Actually I did, has been 50 years ago or so though.
    But not at night.

My idea is to use two identical units with something to tell each one which >is which (I'm thinking of a magnet operated switch perhaps or an internal >switch that you open the cover to set when you mount it on the boat). The >only difference is how the units respond to the remote. There are four >states - Off, Nav (red/green/white), anchor (all white) and emergency >(flashes SOS in Morse code with all lights white). The flashing lowers the >duty cycle and extends the duration of the battery. With 3000 mAHr it would >run for some 10 hours continuously, or twice or triple that when flashing. >But that is just an estimate. It helps in recovering the boat and/or the body.

Well just build it, I really do not see the problem, few hours design work.
    If you have the remote, add an eject button:-)
    (it would need a separate battery, but wait, why not eject automatically (spring latch)
    when an IR optocoupler detects smoke or a sensor over-heating in the thing?
    Now THERE is a design challenge.
    You can add a phone home, fire crackers, sound alarm, and a speaker giving voice instructions to the crew(you) how to duck for cover.
    You also need coffee maker, pizza oven, fridge, probably need a bigger battery than just 3 Ah.

How's that for paying attention?
    Can you keep up?
    :-)

--

Rick C

Here a few days ago the sun was red from the bush fires in the south of Europe, wind from that direction, you could smell it too.
    When the 100 % eclipse was here around 2000 IIRC even the flowers closed.. very strange.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rickman@21:1/5 to Jan Panteltje on Fri Oct 20 12:47:16 2017

Jan Panteltje wrote on 10/20/2017 5:38 AM:
    On a sunny day (Fri, 20 Oct 2017 04:56:50 -0400) it happened rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in <oscdoi$iu3$1@dont-email.me>:

These bags are not made of thick material. Much better would be this... >>>>

or this...

Same.

Not sure why you think it will wick moisture and why that is an issue. The >> cell is sealed so some moisture won't hurt it. If it catches fire moisture >> will only help dampen the temperature.

So, you contradict yourself,
    you had fear of water (for the cells ;-) ),
    now you say they are dry.

I guess you aren't reading any posts that aren't in reply to yours. I have already been educated that Li-ion is not the same as elemental lithium. Regardless, your sentence is not clear. My concern is making a dangerous
    fire worse, but that doesn't happen getting a lithium ion cell wet.

Maybe. Many people take their cell phone out on a kayak as a rescue device. >> It would suck if it caught fire and cause the boat to sink.

Why do you feel the need to educate me on things I already know about?
    These are great devices, but it can still take time to reach you. In an emergency time can be of the essence. The blinking light is a clear
    distress signal helping to attract attention. Also, EPIRB and PLB aren't
    nav lights.

But I do not think you will be kayaking on the ocean or big water?
    https://www.panbo.com/archives/2016/12/mcmurdo_smartfind_g8_ais_epirb_first_of_many_plbs_too_.html
    lots of info there too.

Yeah, I already bought one case designed for cell phones and they seem to
    have a very poor seal material, hard and not terribly compliant. Being
    water tight is essential. I've had a number of things ruined while kayaking >> when they were supposed to be water tight, including handheld IP67 GPS devices.

You keep not paying attention.

Wow

Wow???

There will be two of these at opposite ends
    of a 17 foot kayak and the paddler in the middle. There's no way to release >> it.

Easy to make a release system with some dyneema line.

You keep showing a lack of understanding of kayaks. Get a kayak, paddle it
    for a few months and get back to me on how practical it is to have release lines running the length of the boat. Also make sure you learn how to do a self rescue.

Other thing I was thinking is to make 2 'antennas' of carbon fiber rod or some flexible rod at the rear of the kayak with in
    the top red and green LEDs,

0 0 --> LED
    \ /
    \ /
    \ / carbon rod
    \ /
    [ ] [ ]
    ================= kayak

Experiment.
    Let us know !

No need to experiment. Things sticking up on a kayak are not good. I'm not >> sure why you would think there is any advantage to this anyhow.

Can view it from further away seems a good one to me.

The lights are to avoid a collision. My hand held light works just fine
    when I turn it on. I want nav lights so I don't need to worry with the
    flash light. They don't need to sacrifice practicality for visibility. Visibility will be just fine on the deck.

Everything on a kayak wants to be low on the deck, unless you are flying a >> flag. The red and green lights go on the front to make sure they are seen >> at all times. They shine from dead ahead to 22.5 degrees past a
    perpendicular line off each side. The person needs to not be in the way or >> the light can be missed. They are mounted (along with the white light that >> shines over the remaining 135 degrees) on the top of the mast of a sail boat >> because it *has* a mast. On a kayak, a second unit is needed at the rear
    required. If you were to put the lights on a mast of some sort, they would >> all be mounted in one unit, not separate units. But a tall thing is a very >> poor idea for may reasons. Try kayaking sometime, you will learn quickly.

Actually I did, has been 50 years ago or so though.
    But not at night.

White water or flat? Did you learn safety practices? Did you learn any
    self rescues? The deck of a kayak is not a static place. Some styles of rescue involve climbing over the back deck. No poles, etc. allowed.

My idea is to use two identical units with something to tell each one which >> is which (I'm thinking of a magnet operated switch perhaps or an internal
    switch that you open the cover to set when you mount it on the boat). The >> only difference is how the units respond to the remote. There are four
    states - Off, Nav (red/green/white), anchor (all white) and emergency
    (flashes SOS in Morse code with all lights white). The flashing lowers the >> duty cycle and extends the duration of the battery. With 3000 mAHr it would >> run for some 10 hours continuously, or twice or triple that when flashing. >> But that is just an estimate. It helps in recovering the boat and/or the body.

Well just build it, I really do not see the problem, few hours design work. If you have the remote, add an eject button:-)
    (it would need a separate battery, but wait, why not eject automatically (spring latch)

The receiver and release don't need a battery?

when an IR optocoupler detects smoke or a sensor over-heating in the thing? Now THERE is a design challenge.

Not so much a design challenge as a question of need. It needs to be safe, there are more than one ways to skin a cat.

You can add a phone home, fire crackers, sound alarm, and a speaker giving voice instructions to the crew(you) how to duck for cover.
    You also need coffee maker, pizza oven, fridge, probably need a bigger battery than just 3 Ah.

How's that for paying attention?
    Can you keep up?
    :-)

Great job!

Here a few days ago the sun was red from the bush fires in the south of Europe, wind from that direction, you could smell it too.
    When the 100 % eclipse was here around 2000 IIRC even the flowers closed.. very strange.

It was pretty cool but far too short. They should work on making them last longer. Barely time to get one's cloths off and dance.

--

Rick C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to gnuarm@gmail.com on Fri Oct 20 17:00:06 2017

On a sunny day (Fri, 20 Oct 2017 12:47:16 -0400) it happened rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in <osd9ak$g1o$1@dont-email.me>:

Sigh,
    note what it says about the battery.
    You DO notice it has none of those protections you are on about?
    There simply is no space for that.
    It is simply a waterproof case, and the battery is OK.
    Study other designs before taking of on a tangent.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rickman@21:1/5 to Jan Panteltje on Fri Oct 20 13:45:46 2017

Jan Panteltje wrote on 10/20/2017 1:00 PM:
    On a sunny day (Fri, 20 Oct 2017 12:47:16 -0400) it happened rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in <osd9ak$g1o$1@dont-email.me>:

Sigh,
    note what it says about the battery.

If you want to say something, why not just say it?

You DO notice it has none of those protections you are on about?
    There simply is no space for that.
    It is simply a waterproof case, and the battery is OK.
    Study other designs before taking of on a tangent.

They use a primary battery which is NOT Li-ion. It does contain elemental lithium, but this type of cell has a lower risk of fire than most types of lithium cells. But it is a primary type and is not rechargeable.

I do find it funny that you seem to think I am taking of on a tangent.

--

Rick C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krw@notreal.com@21:1/5 to rickman on Fri Oct 20 20:05:50 2017

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 04:56:50 -0400, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote:

On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Oct 2017 18:34:47 -0400) it happened rickman
    <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in <osb9a9$v5o$1@dont-email.me>:

is barely closed. I would be essentially rolling the bag up and depending >>> on the size I use I would be folding the sides over before rolling.

You have to leave some opening so the smoke can escape and the pressure can >> be prevented to build up to a point where the bag tares.

video with a bunch of batteries in a latched and sealed ammo case is pretty >instructive. Before it broke the seal it actually dented the can with the >pressure. But like I said earlier, one cell of Lipo is not nearly as much >energy as the videos show.

If I could find similar products to the power bank boards that worked with >NiMH, I'd go that route. I believe they actually prefer NiCad in power
    But this will only draw a couple hundred mA most likely, so it would be a >good fit. I would have to roll my own design for the whole thing.

Not sure where you going with your comment that "they" prefer NiCad in
    power tools. "They" (manufacturers) make almost[*] 100% LiIon tools
    these days. LiIon is a hands-down winner in this application, even
    though they scare you.

[*] Someone might still make NiCd, still.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krw@notreal.com@21:1/5 to rickman on Fri Oct 20 23:03:53 2017

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 22:54:41 -0400, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote:

krw@notreal.com wrote on 10/20/2017 8:05 PM:

on the size I use I would be folding the sides over before rolling.

video with a bunch of batteries in a latched and sealed ammo case is pretty >>> instructive. Before it broke the seal it actually dented the can with the >>> pressure. But like I said earlier, one cell of Lipo is not nearly as much >>> energy as the videos show.

If I could find similar products to the power bank boards that worked with >>> NiMH, I'd go that route. I believe they actually prefer NiCad in power
    tools because of the high current. NiMH has too much internal impedance. >>> But this will only draw a couple hundred mA most likely, so it would be a >>> good fit. I would have to roll my own design for the whole thing.

though they scare you.

The context was compared to NiMH.

Gotcha. Is anyone still making NiCD or NiMH tools? I haven't seen
    any in a long time.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rickman@21:1/5 to krw@notreal.com on Fri Oct 20 22:54:41 2017

is barely closed. I would be essentially rolling the bag up and depending >>>> on the size I use I would be folding the sides over before rolling.

You have to leave some opening so the smoke can escape and the pressure can >>> be prevented to build up to a point where the bag tares.

video with a bunch of batteries in a latched and sealed ammo case is pretty >> instructive. Before it broke the seal it actually dented the can with the >> pressure. But like I said earlier, one cell of Lipo is not nearly as much >> energy as the videos show.

If I could find similar products to the power bank boards that worked with >> NiMH, I'd go that route. I believe they actually prefer NiCad in power

though they scare you.

--

Rick C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rickman@21:1/5 to krw@notreal.com on Fri Oct 20 23:23:20 2017

krw@notreal.com wrote on 10/20/2017 11:03 PM:

On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Oct 2017 18:34:47 -0400) it happened rickman >>>>> <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in <osb9a9$v5o$1@dont-email.me>:

on the size I use I would be folding the sides over before rolling. >>>>>

Yes, but some opening is not the gaping holes in these bags. The other >>>> video with a bunch of batteries in a latched and sealed ammo case is pretty
    instructive. Before it broke the seal it actually dented the can with the >>>> pressure. But like I said earlier, one cell of Lipo is not nearly as much >>>> energy as the videos show.

If I could find similar products to the power bank boards that worked with >>>> NiMH, I'd go that route. I believe they actually prefer NiCad in power >>>> tools because of the high current. NiMH has too much internal impedance. >>>> But this will only draw a couple hundred mA most likely, so it would be a >>>> good fit. I would have to roll my own design for the whole thing.

though they scare you.

any in a long time.

Don't know. It's been too long since I dug into hand tools much. I
    remember having an RC boat which ran ok on alkaline cells. Then I got rechargeables for it and it TOOK OFF like a rocket. Seems the lower
    resistance of the NiCd made a big difference. But it only ran for five minutes, lol.

--

Rick C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krw@notreal.com@21:1/5 to rickman on Sat Oct 21 10:48:28 2017

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 23:23:20 -0400, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote:

On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Oct 2017 18:34:47 -0400) it happened rickman >>>>>> <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in <osb9a9$v5o$1@dont-email.me>:

on the size I use I would be folding the sides over before rolling. >>>>>>

Yes, but some opening is not the gaping holes in these bags. The other >>>>> video with a bunch of batteries in a latched and sealed ammo case is pretty
    instructive. Before it broke the seal it actually dented the can with the
    pressure. But like I said earlier, one cell of Lipo is not nearly as much
    energy as the videos show.

If I could find similar products to the power bank boards that worked with
    NiMH, I'd go that route. I believe they actually prefer NiCad in power >>>>> tools because of the high current. NiMH has too much internal impedance. >>>>> But this will only draw a couple hundred mA most likely, so it would be a >>>>> good fit. I would have to roll my own design for the whole thing.

Not sure where you going with your comment that "they" prefer NiCad in >>>> power tools. "They" (manufacturers) make almost[*] 100% LiIon tools
    though they scare you.

any in a long time.

remember having an RC boat which ran ok on alkaline cells. Then I got >rechargeables for it and it TOOK OFF like a rocket. Seems the lower >resistance of the NiCd made a big difference. But it only ran for five >minutes, lol.

Most stuff designed for Alkalines ran like crap with NiCds, due to the
    lower voltage. Some stuff didn't run at all (UVLO). NiCds also have
    a horrible self discharge and short life, particularly multi-cell
    packs if not kept charged. A real bad combination for tools. LiIon
    fixes all that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rickman@21:1/5 to krw@notreal.com on Sat Oct 21 14:53:31 2017

krw@notreal.com wrote on 10/21/2017 10:48 AM:

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 04:56:50 -0400, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote: >>>>>
    On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Oct 2017 18:34:47 -0400) it happened rickman >>>>>>> <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in <osb9a9$v5o$1@dont-email.me>:

on the size I use I would be folding the sides over before rolling. >>>>>>>

Yes, but some opening is not the gaping holes in these bags. The other >>>>>> video with a bunch of batteries in a latched and sealed ammo case is pretty

NiMH, I'd go that route. I believe they actually prefer NiCad in power >>>>>> tools because of the high current. NiMH has too much internal impedance.

Not sure where you going with your comment that "they" prefer NiCad in >>>>> power tools. "They" (manufacturers) make almost[*] 100% LiIon tools >>>>> these days. LiIon is a hands-down winner in this application, even
    though they scare you.

any in a long time.

remember having an RC boat which ran ok on alkaline cells. Then I got
    rechargeables for it and it TOOK OFF like a rocket. Seems the lower
    resistance of the NiCd made a big difference. But it only ran for five
    minutes, lol.

fixes all that.

Self discharge for sure. But I don't know about the short life. I have a Makita power tool with NiCd batteries and that thing ran for 15 years before the battery wouldn't charge. It was often left laying around uncharged so
    it wasn't pampered either. I was amazed. A new battery pack costs as much
    as a new tool with Li-ion. Actually, I think the tool I replaced it with *also* used NiCd, to my surprise and it crapped out after a much shorter
    time. Finally I got a hammer drill with Li-ion and all is good.

--

Rick C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krw@notreal.com@21:1/5 to rickman on Sat Oct 21 19:49:51 2017

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 14:53:31 -0400, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote:

krw@notreal.com wrote on 10/21/2017 10:48 AM:

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 04:56:50 -0400, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote: >>>>>>
    On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Oct 2017 18:34:47 -0400) it happened rickman >>>>>>>> <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in <osb9a9$v5o$1@dont-email.me>:

on the size I use I would be folding the sides over before rolling. >>>>>>>>

Yes, but some opening is not the gaping holes in these bags. The other >>>>>>> video with a bunch of batteries in a latched and sealed ammo case is pretty

NiMH, I'd go that route. I believe they actually prefer NiCad in power >>>>>>> tools because of the high current. NiMH has too much internal impedance.
    good fit. I would have to roll my own design for the whole thing. >>>>>>
    Not sure where you going with your comment that "they" prefer NiCad in >>>>>> power tools. "They" (manufacturers) make almost[*] 100% LiIon tools >>>>>> these days. LiIon is a hands-down winner in this application, even >>>>>> though they scare you.

any in a long time.

remember having an RC boat which ran ok on alkaline cells. Then I got
    rechargeables for it and it TOOK OFF like a rocket. Seems the lower
    resistance of the NiCd made a big difference. But it only ran for five
    minutes, lol.

fixes all that.

Self discharge for sure. But I don't know about the short life.

You bet! A LiIon will still be good after five years sitting on a
    shelf. Try that with a NiCd. You're lucky if you get one. I never
    have, even with "high quality" rebuits.

I have a
    Makita power tool with NiCd batteries and that thing ran for 15 years before >the battery wouldn't charge. It was often left laying around uncharged so
    it wasn't pampered either. I was amazed. A new battery pack costs as much >as a new tool with Li-ion. Actually, I think the tool I replaced it with >*also* used NiCd, to my surprise and it crapped out after a much shorter >time. Finally I got a hammer drill with Li-ion and all is good.

That was true with NiCd, too. Cost <> price.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jasen Betts@21:1/5 to krw@notreal.com on Fri Oct 27 22:47:35 2017

On 2017-10-21, krw@notreal.com <krw@notreal.com> wrote:

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 04:56:50 -0400, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote: >>>>>
    On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Oct 2017 18:34:47 -0400) it happened rickman >>>>>>> <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in <osb9a9$v5o$1@dont-email.me>:

on the size I use I would be folding the sides over before rolling. >>>>>>>

Yes, but some opening is not the gaping holes in these bags. The other >>>>>> video with a bunch of batteries in a latched and sealed ammo case is pretty

NiMH, I'd go that route. I believe they actually prefer NiCad in power >>>>>> tools because of the high current. NiMH has too much internal impedance.

Not sure where you going with your comment that "they" prefer NiCad in >>>>> power tools. "They" (manufacturers) make almost[*] 100% LiIon tools >>>>> these days. LiIon is a hands-down winner in this application, even
    though they scare you.

any in a long time.

Don't know. It's been too long since I dug into hand tools much. I >>remember having an RC boat which ran ok on alkaline cells. Then I got >>rechargeables for it and it TOOK OFF like a rocket. Seems the lower >>resistance of the NiCd made a big difference. But it only ran for five >>minutes, lol.

lower voltage.

Alkalines have lower voltage. 0.9V terminal discharge voltage vs 1.15V

Stuff that quits at 1.2V was not designed, or perhaps was designed to
    sell batteries.

--
    This email has not been checked by half-arsed antivirus software

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krw@notreal.com@21:1/5 to Jasen Betts on Fri Oct 27 22:25:28 2017

On 27 Oct 2017 22:47:35 GMT, Jasen Betts <jasen@xnet.co.nz> wrote:

On 2017-10-21, krw@notreal.com <krw@notreal.com> wrote:

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 04:56:50 -0400, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote: >>>>>>
    On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Oct 2017 18:34:47 -0400) it happened rickman >>>>>>>> <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in <osb9a9$v5o$1@dont-email.me>:

on the size I use I would be folding the sides over before rolling. >>>>>>>>

Yes, but some opening is not the gaping holes in these bags. The other >>>>>>> video with a bunch of batteries in a latched and sealed ammo case is pretty

NiMH, I'd go that route. I believe they actually prefer NiCad in power >>>>>>> tools because of the high current. NiMH has too much internal impedance.
    good fit. I would have to roll my own design for the whole thing. >>>>>>
    Not sure where you going with your comment that "they" prefer NiCad in >>>>>> power tools. "They" (manufacturers) make almost[*] 100% LiIon tools >>>>>> these days. LiIon is a hands-down winner in this application, even >>>>>> though they scare you.

any in a long time.

Don't know. It's been too long since I dug into hand tools much. I >>>remember having an RC boat which ran ok on alkaline cells. Then I got >>>rechargeables for it and it TOOK OFF like a rocket. Seems the lower >>>resistance of the NiCd made a big difference. But it only ran for five >>>minutes, lol.

lower voltage.

Alkalines have lower voltage. 0.9V terminal discharge voltage vs 1.15V

Idiot. alkalines start out at 1.5V, where NiCds are about 1.3V. MANY
    devices simply refused to work.

Stuff that quits at 1.2V was not designed, or perhaps was designed to
    sell batteries.

How it was designed is irrelevant. It was.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05