• Really Basic Power On Question

From Bret Cahill@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 16 07:59:06 2021
    This must be a really really common problem and the only reason it is difficult to find on youtube is the wrong search terms:

If a device has a power on button latch switch and you want it to turn on and off like a light bulb, i. e., when the power supply is plugged in or a relay connects the power, or for solar, when the sun comes up, is it a common solution to run a wire from
    the power supply through a cap and maybe a large drain resister in parallel then to one side of the latch switch?

The current would flow through the cap just long enough to set the latch switch before the cap is charged and stops the flow.

Then the device turns on and stays on until power is disconnected. The process can repeat after the charge drains off the cap.

First check the voltage through the on switch is the same as the power supply. (This will not werk on a lap top.)

I'd need some idea of the time it takes to latch and some thresh hold voltage for the latch to select the cap and resister. Maybe look at it on an oscilloscope.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Purgert@21:1/5 to Bret Cahill on Fri Feb 19 12:50:38 2021
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA512

Bret Cahill wrote:
    This must be a really really common problem and the only reason it is difficult to find on youtube is the wrong search terms:

If a device has a power on button latch switch and you want it to turn
    on and off like a light bulb, i. e., when the power supply is plugged
    in or a relay connects the power, or for solar, when the sun comes up,
    is it a common solution to run a wire from the power supply through a
    cap and maybe a large drain resister in parallel then to one side of
    the latch switch?

don't follow your description here at all. Are you just trying to
    figure out a "simple" way to pulse a latching relay's coil long enough
    for it to set?

Note that in order to reset a latching relay, one normally needs to
    drive a secondary coil, or reverse the current flow in a single coil
    model; so if I'm understanding your question properly, you're never
    actually going to "unlatch" the relay.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAEBCgAdFiEE3asj+xn6fYUcweBnbWVw5UznKGAFAmAvtB4ACgkQbWVw5Uzn KGBrSxAAoFvVmlRMMMicwRGAnjAtX/oQRumYcTUUq4XsDcWG1mLRQExYBcR2PiO+ VYjYgxZESLmobjSdoVn02MLCvW2qBmtDyLAR9+c0hR9dycT8O4XH48rfKFVm2lKA leJq0DZKJyCqQd0mtAZNT5OOo9BVqIqIEVZhe/ZD8BeoRqtx6oAk6lk9/Yzd9Z2Y JW3wriI0cSZ1JiJ7yo5eHdCp32jug693BwhFvcVeL+4ltrt8yhLM3fPdqjd1HoUx mOWO+hNpkZWYtZRkImfvSswXNts/i3k4cg/DLaZmaSqBaHI8TfgEk/+zi1N8Dbjy fwOj0bvdVnJyizI0Y4KN6ahzpvo4A0FUq5IGelzFvyJopM1HE+fy7xr3uN/0FNrq f9oqblW8cDv5fDeGO+wn9GJtepdqxM4eLfa/SJOZ/ggLxeDhGR5v9DxWvgfOqjXY igQuuotbibW92YsYwNcOgaI/+LPtmZCTkj8mNtvz/CCpoH/fJ1T7FJON+EZ/+Pg4 JTkhSkG4VpQfejsGBD8dHGqV2kfxWOvMp3EPrEXKr2biNFTlQghbOdTDgqRCFL1j CTWsuaZgdUB2phY+sGP+f+mQSEe8vXNH0qY/Zta0i2wF2jiUdAwaWVZ0I2ViMbe0 rRSfO/CklETGrd1h52N3qG6uozrj48rsU66JwjMFOb4et7u2+ZA=
    =CM+M
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
    |_|O|_| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert
    |_|_|O| PGP: DDAB 23FB 19FA 7D85 1CC1 E067 6D65 70E5 4CE7 2860
    |O|O|O| Former PGP: 05CA 9A50 3F2E 1335 4DC5 4AEE 8E11 DDF3 1279 A281

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)