• Re: mitutoyo 6" caliper with bad curcuit board

From John Smiht@21:1/5 to rickman on Tue Nov 28 11:11:39 2023
    On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 11:48:41 AM UTC-6, rickman wrote:
    On 12/14/2016 1:57 AM, jurb...@gmail.com wrote:
    Unfortunately thing like that are like toasters. One IC, surface mount at least, maybe even using the board as a substrate with a glop of epoxy over it. If you can't get the board it is over.

If it has the markings to read it as a regular old time caliper you can use it like that. Or you can use it as a transfer device. Also, if it has the 30 degree cut in the depth gauge it also makes a good tool to measure the diameter of a hole.

What almost amazes me is that these things can tell the position even with the battery out. Mine has a zero button but that is almost not necessary. I cranked it out to like 3" and took the battery out and when I put it back in it remembered where it
    was. Is this by memory or some sort of measurement technique of which I am not aware ? They talk of capacitance but there is no way that could be accurate at 6".

Mine is an elcheapo, but it does allow for measurement without the battery, and I think most do. And they are cheap so you can just buy another one. I hate to say that but when something is unfixable it is unfixable. You can either get the part or
    not. You can hound the company, and they might even agree to "fix" it for you but what will happen is they will replace the unit. I work for factory service (not there) and when something cannot be fixed we just offer a replacement at a discounted cost.

I wish we had more control over what the actual manufacturers do but we only bought half the company, what's more all the stuff is made by Apex, this company is just a US front. No more detail on that.

You might find a used one online with bent jaws or something and be able to use the board from that. But there is no ordering "IC 12", replacing it and having it work again.

Nother thing to consider is what these things cost. Mitutoyo is a really good company and I have some of their micrometers and other things, but the fact is they are selling their name if you cannot get parts. So for, I think $16, Harbor Freight or
    one of them has one that is so similar in performance you'll never notice any difference.

Or just read a real caliper that has the scale on the side that gives you thousandths and forget about this digital shit and you will never have this problem again.

On this page the first picture shows a caliper that can read down to the thousandths :

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-read-a-vernier-caliper/step2/Course-reading-1/

Forget the text. The top of the picture shows a different scale which is made specifically to reveal the next decimal place. Whichever line lines up with a line on the main scale indicates the next decimal place. They achieve that by using nine lines
    in the exact space of ten. It does not matter which line lines up with the main scale, just count it up and it is the next decimal place.

I know this is hard to understand for modern people, but give it a try. The battery died in my digital caliper about two years ago and I never bothered to replace it. Plus I got better calipers laying around anyway. They just aren't digital and you
    have to really look at them to read them, it is not all done for you. I also have a pretty full set of micrometers, none digital.

These conveniences are nice but make us lazy.

Vernier calipers are great for those who have good eyesight. Even with eyeglasses I have trouble reading the vernier scale.

What is wrong with dial calipers? I have a digital caliper, but I have
    to take the battery out each time I'm done with it or it dies. I used
    to think the case was pressing the on button, but eventually I realize
    the durn thing just never turns off! So I use my dial caliper which got dropped once and reads 1 or 2 thou when closed. Not a problem for most
    of my work.

The dial caliper came with a micrometer which I used the other day to measure the thickness of some Chinese 18 gauge wire which is really more like 20 gauge. I didn't contact the ebay seller early enough so they
    won't refund the money. So I'm going to buy more of the same and then
    give him shit. Do they *really* have to cut corners so much that they
    aren't even selling what they claim?

--

Rick C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Anthony William Sloman@21:1/5 to John Smiht on Tue Nov 28 21:11:23 2023
    On Wednesday, November 29, 2023 at 6:11:45 AM UTC+11, John Smiht wrote:
    On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 11:48:41 AM UTC-6, rickman wrote:
    On 12/14/2016 1:57 AM, jurb...@gmail.com wrote: \

If you had used your eyes a little more carefully, you'd have noticed that you'd posted a response in a 2016 thread that had been revived by a counterfeit banknote spammer. Try to avoid doing this this.

--
    Bill Sloman, Sydney

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)