• Greek agriculture devastated for five or more years

From Fred Bloggs@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 26 13:21:16 2023
    "Storm Daniel wiped out a quarter of Greece’s annual farming production, as a result of deadly flash flooding that submerged fields and drowned livestock.

The central region of Thessaly was especially hard hit. Thessaly produces a quarter of the country’s food."

“The agricultural production isn't destroyed just for this year. The thick coat of silt means it is no longer fertile,' he said.

"The once-fertile plain in the region of Thessaly accounts for around a quarter of the country’s wheat and barley, more than 30% of its cotton, chickpeas, lentils and pistachios, one fifth of the country’s hay – used for livestock – and half of
    the agribusiness tomato production, reported Politico."

That's what you call a major disaster, and all the money in the world won't fix it.

People get ugly when they don't have enough to eat.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/greek-agriculture-devastated-for-five-or-more-years/ar-AA1hfrEy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Fred Bloggs@21:1/5 to Clive Arthur on Tue Sep 26 15:08:59 2023
    On Tuesday, September 26, 2023 at 5:58:53 PM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote:
    On 26/09/2023 21:21, Fred Bloggs wrote:
    "Storm Daniel wiped out a quarter of Greece’s annual farming production, a
    <snip>

I've just been reading an article about Trump's fraudulent finances, and
    I'm afraid I read that as 'Stormy Daniels...'.

Trump is of the "everybody does it" persuasion when it comes to skirting the law.

--
    Cheers
    Clive

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clive Arthur@21:1/5 to Fred Bloggs on Tue Sep 26 22:58:43 2023
    On 26/09/2023 21:21, Fred Bloggs wrote:
    "Storm Daniel wiped out a quarter of Greece’s annual farming production, a
    <snip>

I've just been reading an article about Trump's fraudulent finances, and
    I'm afraid I read that as 'Stormy Daniels...'.

--
    Cheers
    Clive

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Anthony William Sloman@21:1/5 to Fred Bloggs on Tue Sep 26 20:31:33 2023
    On Wednesday, September 27, 2023 at 6:21:21 AM UTC+10, Fred Bloggs wrote:
    "Storm Daniel wiped out a quarter of Greece’s annual farming production, as a result of deadly flash flooding that submerged fields and drowned livestock.

The central region of Thessaly was especially hard hit. Thessaly produces a quarter of the country’s food."

“The agricultural production isn't destroyed just for this year. The thick coat of silt means it is no longer fertile,' he said.

That's strange. Silt is usually pretty fertile soil. Histories of Egypt tend to emphasis that the silt spread by Nile floods kept the Nile Valley fertile.
    It sounds like somebody touting for more international aid.

"The once-fertile plain in the region of Thessaly accounts for around a quarter of the country’s wheat and barley, more than 30% of its cotton, chickpeas, lentils and pistachios, one fifth of the country’s hay – used for livestock – and half of
    the agribusiness tomato production, reported Politico."

Politico is now owned by Axel Springer SE who do go in for sensational reporting.

That's what you call a major disaster, and all the money in the world won't fix it.

Particularly when you want the story to get noticed.

People get ugly when they don't have enough to eat.

And skinny too.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/greek-agriculture-devastated-for-five-or-more-years/ar-AA1hfrEy

Perhaps.

--
    Bill Sloman, Sydney

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05